The Student Room Group

Gcse Of Mice and Men

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by Salvatore8
Glad i was of Help! :smile:
Tutuion, no. But i could consider it.. aha
Explain to me what you mean By short Stories? you Mean have i written any??- if so, i have.. but if that's not what you meant- Let me know! :smile:

The Aqa Anthology- they have short stories and 2 questions on 2 different stories come up and you must pick one question to answer , there is a part A and B, part b where you link it to another story, maybe you didn't do this, like my cousin? So you must answer 2 q's the Of mice and Men and the short stories :s-smilie:
Reply 41
I am dreading this exam :frown:
Reply 42
mine is on tuesday also! there are quite a few revision notes all over google, but if you want some you can add to try going to http://www.ashcombe.surrey.sch.uk/curriculum/english/gcse/y11/literaturepaper.htm
hope this helps a bit! it did for me!:smile:
What exam board are you on? Here's a few notes on Lennie I just made to email my friend to help her. There's obviously so much more I could have put, but these are the things she was struggling with. If you want more notes on Lennie/other characters then tell me and I'll make some to post up here :smile:

Lennie & obsession with "soft things" - (mice, woman in weed, his puppy)
- Foreshadows future events - Curley's Wife is killed when Lennie breaks her neck after stroking her hair
- When he pets the mouse, he's doing something that makes him feel safe and secure - but also something which would be looked down upon in society

Lennie & Strength/Violence
- Lennie's aggression is innocent, unlike the others on the ranch he doesn't always intend for events to result the way they do
- He doesn't want to cause pain, e.g when he crushed Curley's hand he says he "didn't wanna hurt him" - but George encourages him saying "Get im' Lennie", because of their relationship, Lennie is more likely to follow his orders and obey
- When he accidently killed Curley's wife, he was more worried that he done another "bad thing" (killing the puppy, then Curley's Wife) and that George would be disappointed in him. His lack of sympathy towards Curley's Wife's death adds to the sadness of the event, and highlights how Lennie is more concerned for the well-being of animals then humans - it's as if he isn't able to identify a difference between the two.

Lennie & The American Dream
- America is supposed to be about 'the land of the free' - built on promise and opportunity
- George says "I got to thinking maybe we would", demonstrating how Lennie's enthusiasm toward the dream gave him hope, even though in reality he knew the dream wouldn't actually be possible to fulfil
- The American Dream itself is impossible, and the death of Lennie is symbolic of that
- Lennie's death is symbolic that all good things coming to an end
- George uses the dream to give them both hope for the future, once word spread the other ranch workers wanted in too - demonstrates the importance of dreams on a whole in the novella, and for those who lived in the 1930s Great Depression era in a similar situation to the characters
- Lennie just wanted to "tend the rabbits" - nothing more - it was George who thought the whole dream up so Lennie is not entirely to blame
- The dream was told to Lennie like a story, linking to his child like innocence

Lennie & Other Stuff
- Rel'ship with Curley's wife lands him in trouble, he tries to listen to what George said about ignoring her - but his curiosity got the better of him, and the consequences of her death show how one of his innocent mistakes once again lands him in unxpected trouble
- Lennie's character is always associated with death - he uses it for comfort? Is life important to Lennie? Or is it that friendship, comfort, and things that he can pet take more of an active role
- When people are of no use to society, they are either experience discrimination (Lennie's mental disability) or get mixed up in events that lead them to become killed (like Lennie) because of in some cases, their 'helplessness'
- Lennie Small - he's described as "shapeless" and a "bear"
- Write about his anamilistic features/actions
Original post by Zoelingua
What exam board are you on? Here's a few notes on Lennie I just made to email my friend to help her. There's obviously so much more I could have put, but these are the things she was struggling with. If you want more notes on Lennie/other characters then tell me and I'll make some to post up here :smile:

- Foreshadows future events - Curley's Wife is killed when Lennie breaks her neck after stroking her hair
- When he pets the mouse, he's doing something that makes him feel safe and secure - but also something which would be looked down upon in society

- Lennie's aggression is innocent, unlike the others on the ranch he doesn't always intend for events to result the way they do
- He doesn't want to cause pain, e.g when he crushed Curley's hand he says he "didn't wanna hurt him" - but George encourages him saying "Get im' Lennie", because of their relationship, Lennie is more likely to follow his orders and obey
- When he accidently killed Curley's wife, he was more worried that he done another "bad thing" (killing the puppy, then Curley's Wife) and that George would be disappointed in him. His lack of sympathy towards Curley's Wife's death adds to the sadness of the event, and highlights how Lennie is more concerned for the well-being of animals then humans - it's as if he isn't able to identify a difference between the two.

- America is supposed to be about 'the land of the free' - built on promise and opportunity
- George says "I got to thinking maybe we would", demonstrating how Lennie's enthusiasm toward the dream gave him hope, even though in reality he knew the dream wouldn't actually be possible to fulfil
- The American Dream itself is impossible, and the death of Lennie is symbolic of that
- George uses the dream to give them both hope for the future, once word spread the other ranch workers wanted in too - demonstrates the importance of dreams on a whole in the novella, and for those who lived in the 1930s Great Depression era in a similar situation to the characters
- Lennie just wanted to "tend the rabbits" - nothing more - it was George who thought the whole dream up so Lennie is not entirely to blame
- The dream was told to Lennie like a story, linking to his child like innocence

Lennie & Other Stuff
- Rel'ship with Curley's wife lands him in trouble, he tries to listen to what George said about ignoring her - but his curiosity got the better of him, and the consequences of her death show how one of his innocent mistakes once again lands him in unxpected trouble
- Lennie's character is always associated with death - he uses it for comfort? Is life important to Lennie? Or is it that friendship, comfort, and things that he can pet take more of an active role
- When people are of no use to society, they are either experience discrimination (Lennie's mental disability) or get mixed up in events that lead them to become killed (like Lennie) because of in some cases, their 'helplessness'

Wow! This is amazing!! thankyou soooo much!! you are such a life saver :smile: you wouldn't happen to have any notes on slim would you :biggrin:?? thankyouu, this is really helpful!!
Haven't started revision yet but aiming for an A*? Pahaha, good luck.

Lennie & Other Stuff

Wow! Thanks :smile: would you mind putting some up on Curley's Wife and Candy please? They are really good :smile:
Not a problem - anything to help :biggrin:

I already have a bit on Curley's Wife so I'll do her first, then I'll write something up about Slim and Candy later on/maybe tomorrow.

Stay tuned!
Reply 48

Lennie & Other Stuff

These notes are lifesaving! I could do with a friend like you! :wink: ( Exam Board AQA)If you can could you please put some notes up on Curley + his wife, and Slim? (course I'd understand if you don't have the time ) :smile:
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 49
I have uploaded a variety of notes/essays/poem notes which I made a year ago within this thread;

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2005587
Original post by mia_hilton
These notes are lifesaving! I could do with a friend like you! :wink: ( Exam Board AQA)If you can could you please put some notes up on Curley + his wife, and Slim? (course I'd understand if you don't have the time ) :smile:

Haha, thank you! I've just made some for Curley's Wife in a thread that I just posted. Slim will be done shortly too :smile:

This is really helping me with my revision, so I don't mind doing it at all!
Original post by isp
I have uploaded a variety of notes/essays/poem notes which I made a year ago within this thread;

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2005587

Wow, your essay on Curley's Wife is fantastic! Did you do these in timed conditions and everything?
Haha, thank you! I've just made some for Curley's Wife in a thread that I just posted. Slim will be done shortly too :smile:

Can you please guide me to this thread please because I'm dying to read your notes! :colondollar:
Create essay plans for the different themes. I found it easier for learning quotations if you specifically know where they go.
Not a problem - anything to help :biggrin:

I already have a bit on Curley's Wife so I'll do her first, then I'll write something up about Slim and Candy later on/maybe tomorrow.

Stay tuned!

Thankyou very much!! Glad that this is helping you and not just wasting your time!! And you are helping many, many more people! :wink:
Here's the thread: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2006226

It only has Lennie and Curley's Wife, but I hope to have Slim up by the end of the night?
Here's the thread: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2006226

It only has Lennie and Curley's Wife, but I hope to have Slim up by the end of the night?

Thankyou :smile: and whenever you have it, its fine. All of this is much appreciated :biggrin:
Original post by cardigansandjeans
Thankyou very much!! Glad that this is helping you and not just wasting your time!! And you are helping many, many more people! :wink:

It's no trouble at all - exactly that! I'm only doing what I would want others to do for me if I was in your situation :smile:

Original post by Dandaman9999
Can you please guide me to this thread please because I'm dying to read your notes! :colondollar:

This made me smile! :colondollar:

Here's the link, once again :smile:

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2006226
Original post by Booyah
Gonna give you a few things that I used

Microcosm, the examiner loves you to use that word when you can put it into context! The ranch is a microcosm for the real world due to Candy representing such and such. It is a really nice ender to an essay!

Crooks lives in the harness shack or whatever, it is shown to be holder black men and women down.

Curly's wife is always wearing red and never enters the rooms where she is talking except for the barn. The red shows a colour of violence, of blood, or aggressiveness. She never enters because she is not wanted, women cause to much trouble in a man's worl of ranching. The only person she can relate to is Lenny because he is useless unless told what to do, and he doesn't have the intelligence to run away from trouble

Just a few points I just thought of, I did it last year so have fun! The best thing I can tell you is that make sure you add context!!!! Once you quote from the book make sure you break it down into smaller quotes and analysis the smaller quotes.

Any more absolutely wonderful gems like these?
It's no trouble at all - exactly that! I'm only doing what I would want others to do for me if I was in your situation :smile:

This made me smile! :colondollar:

Here's the link, once again :smile:

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2006226

Thanks very much, these are so good! I'm just going to comment there so I have it as a watched thread!

Quick Reply

Latest