The Student Room Group

IGCSE Biology - May/June 2012

Anyone doing it?

I'm doing Papers 1 (multiple choice), 3 (extended theory) and 6 (alternative to practical).

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
My lil' sister is doing it to. Do you have any resources for Paper 6 & 3?
Reply 2
Original post by d_94
My lil' sister is doing it to. Do you have any resources for Paper 6 & 3?

I've got lots of past papers :tongue:

I think if you look on their website they have lots of model answers and stuff. I'll see if I can find any.

Edit: There's lots of stuff here. :smile:
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 3
Okayy. Thanks sooo muchh (:
Yeah doing the extended on Monday, not looking forward to it! Do you know if there are any hot topics that the teachers expect to be on the paper?
Good luck :smile:

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Reply 5
Original post by tamil4
Yeah doing the extended on Monday, not looking forward to it! Do you know if there are any hot topics that the teachers expect to be on the paper?

Same :biggrin:

Not particularly... Really should get down to work now. Stop procrastinating!
Original post by Mazzini
Same :biggrin:

Not particularly... Really should get down to work now. Stop procrastinating!

Spent half of today doing biology, gonna do the same tomorrow. Shouldn't have left biology revision so late! Have you done any past papers? Do you know what the grade boundaries usually are?

Reply 7
Original post by tamil4
Spent half of today doing biology, gonna do the same tomorrow. Shouldn't have left biology revision so late! Have you done any past papers? Do you know what the grade boundaries usually are?

I've hardly started :colondollar:

Just about to do some chemistry and I'll do biology later.

Nope :biggrin:

This is really useful though: http://www.cambridgestudents.org.uk/subjectpages/biology/igcsebiology/

Edit: I think A* is usually around 68% (really picky mark scheme :angry:) but apart from that I don't know :frown:
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 8
Original post by Mazzini
Anyone doing it?

I'm doing Papers 1 (multiple choice), 3 (extended theory) and 6 (alternative to practical).

Original post by tamil4

Good luck, both of you! I gave papers 1, 3, and 5 last November, and if the theory is going to be anything like ours, be prepared to write A LOT. Our paper was extremely long. When our teacher finally got to see it a couple days later, even she was surprised, and she has taught IGCSE and IB Biology for like 15 years.
Don't forget, xtremepapers is your closest companion.

Good luck, again! :smile:
Reply 9
Original post by xAditi
Good luck, both of you! I gave papers 1, 3, and 5 last November, and if the theory is going to be anything like ours, be prepared to write A LOT. Our paper was extremely long. When our teacher finally got to see it a couple days later, even she was surprised, and she has taught IGCSE and IB Biology for like 15 years.

Thanks! :smile:

I've got all the papers and mark schemes from school since ~2002 though :tongue:
Original post by Mazzini
I've hardly started :colondollar:

Just about to do some chemistry and I'll do biology later.

Nope :biggrin:

This is really useful though: http://www.cambridgestudents.org.uk/subjectpages/biology/igcsebiology/

Edit: I think A* is usually around 68% (really picky mark scheme :angry:) but apart from that I don't know :frown:

okay thanks, is the 68% thing for just the extended paper? or overall?
our school set 85% as the overall A* boundary for our mock and I got 58% which was a C :s-smilie:

thanks for the link, you may find this site helpful:
http://www.clickbiology.com/igcse-biology-2/
Original post by xAditi

Thank you :smile: Yeah xtremepapers is the best! I have a few more practise papers printed out to do tonight and then exam time tomorrow :s-smilie:
Reply 12
Original post by tamil4
okay thanks, is the 68% thing for just the extended paper? or overall?
our school set 85% as the overall A* boundary for our mock and I got 58% which was a C :s-smilie:

thanks for the link, you may find this site helpful:
http://www.clickbiology.com/igcse-biology-2/

I think it's overall.
Original post by Mazzini
I think it's overall.

wow that's sounding pretty good then! thanks man, you just made my day :smile:
just gotta work on getting that much now haha :L

This is really helpful, wish i had found it earlier! :
http://drtayeb.files.wordpress.com/2011/12/biology-tbw.pdf
Reply 14
How did people do in Paper 3?
Original post by d_94

paper wasn't as bad as i thought it would be. still did bad though, i just don't get biology!

what about you?
Reply 16
Original post by d_94

I didn't get to finish it :frown:

*Hopefully* I'll get an A*. Need to get 40/40 on Paper 1 though pretty much :frown:
Reply 17
Isn't an a star 150/160? says so in may/june 2011 grade boundaries? am i mistaken? :O
Reply 18
Original post by Joker :P
Isn't an a star 150/160? says so in may/june 2011 grade boundaries? am i mistaken? :O

Well I got 125/200 in the mock exam and I was told I was ten marks of an A*... :dontknow:
Reply 19
Is it marked out of 200 or 160? I got 140/160 For the mocks (37/40 for the mcq 70/80 for the extended and 33/40 for atp) yet my teacher still told me that i was 10 marks off an a star is that possible? come on 150/160 is like 94% :frown:
Cambridge can't possibly be that cruel :O
Do you know if the a grade falls to about 65-70 or stays at around 80? (a little info bout the a star grade would also be helpful)
Thanks in advance :smile:

Quick Reply