The Student Room Group

OCR F297 Strategic Management Case Study Thread 2012

Scroll to see replies

Reply 180
Original post by porcalin123
What would you put in a 18 or 33 marker on CPA?

One of the 18 markers might be to discuss the importance of CPA for the business as the calculation question usually follows with a question that requires us to discuss its uses and benefits.
Original post by Emy25
I'm guessing we would have to put in the figures an then there is a part b question where we might be asked to evaluate CPA usefulness or ask questions such as these:

17. Using Fig.1 calculate how long it took to sell the property and determine the critical path.

18. Using Fig.1 calculate how long it took to sell the property and determine the critical path, if the
viewings took 82 days, the buyer had to wait 61 days to secure finance, and completion took 10
days.

19. SLSL have produced a diagrammatical representation (in days) of a typical sale. Critically discuss
the use of such analytical tools in helping SLSL identify ways to speed up the purchase process.

so you'd get 18 marks just for stating benefits and disadvantages of using critical path analysis?
Could you say how to answer question 18 and 19? Dont quite understand them.
Did you get them from APT?
Reply 183
so you'd get 18 marks just for stating benefits and disadvantages of using critical path analysis?
Could you say how to answer question 18 and 19? Dont quite understand them.
Did you get them from APT?

Yes they could potentially ask you that question.

oh sorry for quest 18 and 19 was supposed to be for the person pk92

basically those are calculating questions for CPA that could potentially come up
I got them from the APT.
e.g. they might replace Mrs.Potters cpa with another vendor as along as you know how to work out est and Lft etc. you would be fine, my teacher potentially sees this a question coming up.

in those questions they want to find out how long it took to sell the property and they give you some already know figures and you have to calculate the EST AND LFTs for them and you will eventually get to the completion time
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by Emy25
Yes they could potentially ask you that question.

oh sorry for quest 18 and 19 was supposed to be for the person pk92

basically those are calculating questions for CPA that could potentially come up
I got them from the APT.
e.g. they might replace Mrs.Potters cpa with another vendor as along as you know how to work out est and Lft etc. you would be fine, my teacher potentially sees this a question coming up.

in those questions they want to find out how long it took to sell the property and they give you some already know figures and you have to calculate the EST AND LFTs for them and you will eventually get to the completion time

oh haha :P but if something like question 19 came up, i wouldnt know what to write. So, like now on the critical path it takes 142 days for a completion i think. I hope they give us a critical path to fill out ourselves :smile:

Thanks!
What would i have to do to reach a B overall? How would i get to level 4, i can never get my head round it
Reply 186
What would i have to do to reach a B overall? How would i get to level 4, i can never get my head round it

you need 84 ums in this exam to get a B what is this paper out of btw?

someone posted it on page 7 or 8 as i asked the same question :smile: she replied in great detail. yeah i couldnt get my head around getting level 3/4 marks but im getting there.
Original post by Emy25
you need 84 ums in this exam to get a B what is this paper out of btw?

someone posted it on page 7 or 8 as i asked the same question :smile: she replied in great detail. yeah i couldnt get my head around getting level 3/4 marks but im getting there.

Its out of 120 i think! oh right ill have a look :smile:
How is everyone revising? From just apt or general business knowledge from other books?
Reply 189
How is everyone revising? From just apt or general business knowledge from other books?

Apt notes

This was posted from The Student Room's iPad App
Reply 190
Can anyone help me on the bonus systems.

What you would write for a answer on a question about bonus.

Thank you

Original post by ameena.milly
Can anyone help me on the bonus systems.

What you would write for a answer on a question about bonus.

Thank you

The quarterly bonus question?
Reply 192

Yes

Reply 193
Original post by pk92
Does anybody think a strategic management essay ill come up?

Yes. That is the essence of the exam. You will be asked to recommend a strategic option for SLSL and justify your answer.

Original post by pk92
Also would it be possible to get just get a calculation question on the Critical Path Analysis? And it being worth 13 marks?

Yes. My teacher thinks that the exam board wouldn't imagine that we'd have a revision pack to work it out for us, so that might be our calculation question.
Reply 194
Original post by Emy25
I'm guessing we would have to put in the figures an then there is a part b question where we might be asked to evaluate CPA usefulness or ask questions such as these:

17. Using Fig.1 calculate how long it took to sell the property and determine the critical path.

18. Using Fig.1 calculate how long it took to sell the property and determine the critical path, if the
viewings took 82 days, the buyer had to wait 61 days to secure finance, and completion took 10
days.

19. SLSL have produced a diagrammatical representation (in days) of a typical sale. Critically discuss
the use of such analytical tools in helping SLSL identify ways to speed up the purchase process.

Hi - i have just done question 18 and i got that it would take 171 days to sell the property, is that what you got? :smile: I hope i have finally got the hang of this!! :redface:
Reply 195
Original post by Moyosola
Yes. That is the essence of the exam. You will be asked to recommend a strategic option for SLSL and justify your answer.

Yes. My teacher thinks that the exam board wouldn't imagine that we'd have a revision pack to work it out for us, so that might be our calculation question.

thankyou.. but for the strategic management question have you done one like this: Discuss the role of strategic management in achieving slsl's objective. As we did one in class and we had to dicuss their objective being smart and talk about the different info they have gathered, but say that they havent got a swot analysis which could help them meet their objective.
Reply 196
Original post by pk92
thankyou.. but for the strategic management question have you done one like this: Discuss the role of strategic management in achieving slsl's objective. As we did one in class and we had to dicuss their objective being smart and talk about the different info they have gathered, but say that they havent got a swot analysis which could help them meet their objective.

Ah, I did one recently which my teacher thought was a good essay. I wrote it out though, so I might have to type it out and post it to you, maybe in 2 days time?
Reply 197
Does anyone have the ZigZag pack? I just looked online and I saw a preview, but they have a very good practice exam paper in it, and I think it would be helpful to every one of us.
Reply 198

We did this question: Recommend whether SLSL should introduce a branch based bonus linked to sales.
Heres what i put in each paragraph:
Say what a bonus is - i.e. motivates staff
They pay £53,062 a year to staff = £4422 per staff all year which is £1105 quarterly.
Then i spoke about Maslows hierarchy and herzbergs 2 factor theory linking how it SLSL should take them into account and if they do it will help them meet their 4% objective
Then i spoke about the branch based bonus will affect some branches more than other:
if they do the bonuss by sales volume of each branch then stampton will receive a higher bonus (refer to table 4 in case study)
If they do the bonus by sales value then upham and oakham will receive higher bonus because they have higher prices houses.
However whether the bonus is by value/volume SLSL must take into account that stampton makes the lowest profit marging of 13.8% compared to 56.5% and 35.7% even though they are making the most sales
Then i spoke about even though upham is in a higher end market they are not making as much profit as they should be making and therefore if the binus system changes upham could get a lower bonus
I spoke about how much salary staff get and that the bonus is 27.5% of their salary and then i spoke about how if the bonus changes can impact motivation etc.
I spoke about how individual performance is not practical because team work is required etc.
conclusion: stick to a quarterly bonus paid on company profits to avoid rapid changes and conflicts and tension amongst staff and if they change it would be difficult to manage performance.

Hope this helps :smile:
Reply 199
Original post by Moyosola
Ah, I did one recently which my teacher thought was a good essay. I wrote it out though, so I might have to type it out and post it to you, maybe in 2 days time?

That would be SO helpful! But if you just give me a little plan that should be fine :smile: don't want to be wasting your time :smile: Also have you done a question on the Marketing strategy of SLSL?

Quick Reply

Latest