The Student Room Group

BUNAC Work America

Scroll to see replies

You should just be able to order it from the website, on the same page where u order brochures..

http://www.bunac.org/uk/brochures/

and click to order the job directory and handbook
Reply 21
I just registered! Spent the £260 it costs for visa forms etc..

Is anyone else definitely going?

Would be really cool to meet someone else going/talk to them before
Hi everyone,

There has been a bit of activity since I last posted which is good.

Even better is the fact that my Job Directory is here!!! :smile:

There are lots of interesting vacancies all over the US that range from urban to country living. I have just spent about an hour reading it from cover to cover.

I have already seen one position that has caught my eye and I will be drafting a covering letter this evening. Just need to do a US style "resume" :wink:

I'm extremely interested in applying for this program and I would also like to take the Bunac travel package (to meet people etc..).. However, would people still recommend taking the travel package when you don't want to work in or around NYC? I'd much prefer to work within/near Florida or alternatively on the West coast..

I'm a first time applicant too and I will be taking the travel package to specifically meet people. I also think that it is compulsary if it is your first time doing the program (don't quote me on that):confused:

The handbook advises against working in Florida as it is difficult to secure a job as well as get reasonably priced accommodation.

However there are a couple of positions on the west coast that may interest you. There is the added benefit of the lower humidity and the fact that according to the BBC it never rains in Los Angeles during July and August:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/weather/world/city_guides/city.shtml?tt=TT001500

Wow - you have registered already.

Have you received your Job Directory and applied for any positions yet?

I might follow your lead and get my application in pretty soon. I just don't want to get stuck without a job.

Good luck to everyone who is applying and keep us all updated!
Serenity

I've definitely got my heart set on it, I'm 70/30 on going providing I can sort out the accommodation and stuff. I'm just curious to know if there are going to be a mix of people and ethnicities

There has been a bit of activity since I last posted which is good.

Even better is the fact that my Job Directory is here!!!

There are lots of interesting vacancies all over the US that range from urban to country living. I have just spent about an hour reading it from cover to cover.

I have already seen one position that has caught my eye and I will be drafting a covering letter this evening. Just need to do a US style "resume"

I got my too although I haven't had time to read much of it. What type of jobs are you interested in?
OMG your signature is sick!! :eek:

That poor girl. :frown:

Back to Bunac:

I'm just curious to know if there are going to be a mix of people and ethnicities

I don't think it will be possible to tell what ethnicity the other participants are. Unless you can get in contact with other people who are going. :smile:

I suppose you could try and pick an area of the US that is quite diverse.

What type of jobs are you interested in?

I will do anything really. I would like to do something different than being sat in an office all day but on the other hand would like a normal job so I can spend my free time exploring/ doing decent things etc. :biggrin:
I'm doing Work America also, though waiting to hear from a friend who works at Disney to see if I can get a job there before applying to the hand book employers. I'm really worried about getting from New York/LA to wherever I need to be on my own! Once I get past that bit, I think the rest will be fine. Will probably apply to all theme parks just so there's lots of opportunity to meet people to travel with after.
Reply 26
Hi Mark i am going to usa with Bunac work america program.And i am wonderin can you send me the latest job directory?coz i cant choose a job yet:frown:
You can order the job directory direct from the website here. There isn't an electronic version unfortunately.
I'm doing Work America also, though waiting to hear from a friend who works at Disney to see if I can get a job there before applying to the hand book employers. I'm really worried about getting from New York/LA to wherever I need to be on my own! Once I get past that bit, I think the rest will be fine. Will probably apply to all theme parks just so there's lots of opportunity to meet people to travel with after.

Hi,

I have applied to two in California and heard back within 24 hours from them. Both these jobs were in the Handbook.

However I have to do an online application now.

I am also worried about this commuting part of the trip. I have taken the travel package so my flight to NYC should be sorted. Just need to book flights and get sorted for getting to LAX.

Its stressful but I think it will be worth it.

PM me if you wanna chat.

Best of Luck.

Mark
Reply 29
Mark will you gonna answer my que.?
mark1234567890
Hi,

I have applied to two in California and heard back within 24 hours from them. Both these jobs were in the Handbook.

However I have to do an online application now.

I am also worried about this commuting part of the trip. I have taken the travel package so my flight to NYC should be sorted. Just need to book flights and get sorted for getting to LAX.

Its stressful but I think it will be worth it.

PM me if you wanna chat.

Best of Luck.

Mark

try Jet Blue, American Airlines, etc etc. You'll probably find flights for less than $100 if you book early enough in advance. I know there's a smaller airport the budgets fly to instead of LAX, depends where you need to go, I guess. :smile:

I'm hoping to be in Cape Cod for the summer, went there last year post summer camp, and adored it. East Coast all the way! :p:
Are there any jobs on ranches in the Job Directory? I'm already planning on doing BUNAC next summer but am also tempted by the 'volunteer on a ranch for a month' trip offered by other companies, so I just wondered if BUNAC did it too for the longer period. Can I ask how you chose where you wanted to go to, was it randomly or for any particular reason? I don't think I'd like to go to a big city such as New York or LA, perhaps a slightly quieter area with a beach but wouldn't have a clue where to start looking or how to find out which areas are nice?
I know there's at least one on a ranch in Montana in the book, not sure if there's any more. It's mostly shops and restaurants really. I'm basing it on where has stuff to do, where offers a fair amount of jobs (as I want to travel with friends I make after working) is near the beach and is fairly easy to get to. There's some basic info in the job book that tells you a bit about each State and then further info from the employer about the local area which helps you figure out what the place is like. Also, many of the companies have websites so you can look up the areas on there. I've already applied to a theme park in Ohio, but thinking about applying to some places in Massachusetts near the beach aswell.
That's really helpful thanks! Hopefully my copy of the job directory should come soon!
Reply 34
i need that copy on pdf or word.but it is real book.this is really bad!
how long is everyone going for. I just found out I have to back by the 20th of July so that leaves me with only 4-5 weeks
how long is everyone going for. I just found out I have to back by the 20th of July so that leaves me with only 4-5 weeks

Hopefully going for the full 4 months if I can find a job.

I don't think it would be worth the cost if just going for 4 - 5 weeks. It wouldn't leave much time for travelling.
After an positive start with the job hunting I have hit a brick wall with no responses.

I will try to make a day of it tomorrow if I can get all of my assignments done today.

How is everyone else doing?
Reply 38
I am going to Salisbury,MD I will work for coca cola,anyone?
Reply 39
Hey, im travelling toa sports academy in Massachusettes and the 23rd of June from London! Just wondering if anyone if in or near to Massachusettes this summer and wants to chat or meet up!

Thanks
Chris

Quick Reply

Latest