The Student Room Group

Girls with very long hair (down past their butt)

For all the girls with very long hair on tsr (I'm talking classic length and longer), would you ever consider cutting your hair? If so, when and why?

Would you ever consider getting a dramatic haircut like the girl in the video below?
The reason I ask is because I am considering getting my haircut and am thinking I would like to end up at shoulder-length, but I am nervous about it. I don't think I would be brave enough to do it all in one go in case I didn't like it.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by naomi1988
For all the girls with very long hair on tsr (I'm talking classic length and longer), would you ever consider cutting your hair? If so, when and why?

Would you ever consider getting a dramatic haircut like the girl in the video below?
The reason I ask is because I am considering getting my haircut and am thinking I would like to end up at shoulder-length, but I am nervous about it. I don't think I would be brave enough to do it all in one go in case I didn't like it.

Don't do it all in one go! I went from long hair (mid/lower back) to shoulder length then a d bob (I was bleaching it so had to get the orange ends cut of :rolleyes:) But now I've been trying to grow it back ever since! It's still only shoulder length :/ I miss being able to do more with long hair :frown: It was a nice change at the time though and apparently suits me better . . .It's personal preference I guess!
Reply 2
Excuse me!

What on earth are you talking about lol? I think you may have posted this in the wrong thread?
Excuse me!

What on earth are you talking about lol? I think you may have posted this in the wrong thread?

i don't think he did! :P ...think about it carefully
Reply 4
That is what you meant! Eww! I am hygienic enough to tie my hair up in a ponytail or bun when I go to the toilet and I always wash it thoroughly as well...

Seriously, I am able to look after long hair and keep it healthy. BUT, it does take a fair bit of effort. The maintenance is one of the reasons why I am considering getting it cut, as well as the fact that I simply fancy a change.
Reply 5
The way I feel now, I wouldn't cut my hair off <3 it's not that long - is about halfway down my back but I want to get it to waist length :tongue: I've cut it before and regretted it, I just keep thinking if I hadn't cut it back then it truly would be repunzel hair!
Reply 6
Original post by nadiah
The way I feel now, I wouldn't cut my hair off <3 it's not that long - is about halfway down my back but I want to get it to waist length :tongue: I've cut it before and regretted it, I just keep thinking if I hadn't cut it back then it truly would be repunzel hair!

How much did you get taken off when you cut your hair before?

What do you think the girl in the video and the length of hair that she had cut off?
Reply 7
Major ceebs with long hair. Mine was down to my waist and even though I took care of it very well I always ended up having to straighten (it's naturally curly but too heavy to hold it's own curl) it and it ended up being sooo thin and it got musky smelling halfway through the day eew ew ew. Cut it off just below my ears the other day. Suits me so much better and I don't look like a stripper any more.
Reply 8
I had very long hair a couple of years ago, but living in Spain (especially during the summer when i was swimming every day) meant that maintaining it was a nightmare.
I got it cut off, to just a couple of inches past my shoulders and i have to say that i do regret it now. All i'm forever trying to do is re-grow my hair, but it is nowhere near as long as it used to be...

Think about it, because the chances of it growing back to the same length are very unlikely.
Reply 9
Original post by Deema
Major ceebs with long hair. Mine was down to my waist and even though I took care of it very well I always ended up having to straighten (it's naturally curly but too heavy to hold it's own curl) it and it ended up being sooo thin and it got musky smelling halfway through the day eew ew ew. Cut it off just below my ears the other day. Suits me so much better and I don't look like a stripper any more.

What does ceebs mean lol?

Wow, you cut your hair from waist length to above your ears! That must have taken guts!

What do you think of the girl getting her hair cut in the video?
Reply 10
What does ceebs mean lol?

Wow, you cut your hair from waist length to above your ears! That must have taken guts!

What do you think of the girl getting her hair cut in the video?

ceebs is the lazy form of cba (can't be arsed), it's only one syllable instead of three, not to be abused by the amateur sloth.

waist to just below my ears :wink: and no not really, I hated it. It was just an experiment. I feel like waist length hair is just toooo long, mid-back (as in bra strap length) is as long as I think is attractive.

As for the girl, long hair definitely didn't suit her, shoulder length looks so much better but I respect her reasons for doing it:smile:
Reply 11
Used to have it to about the waist, m'self. Then I quite suddenly got tired of it and had it cut to about an inch, which makes it delightfully spiky. Never gone past about bob-length since and usually shorter.

SO. MUCH. EASIER.

(also, it doesn't feel like I have a weight tied to the back of my head at all times any more! :p:)
Reply 12
I'm not sure either. I have hair just down to my bum (a little shorter really, its just grazing my hips really) and I want to get it shoulder length or shorter. Thing is, the reason my hair is so long is because I cut it when I was about 15 and regretted it so much, I vowed never to cut it short again. I'd hate it if I regretted getting it cut!! Also, I'm 'the girl with long hair' so I feel like I wouldn't be me if I cut it :s-smilie:
Reply 13
Eh I'm not sure, but I like long straight hair... Mine is down to my waist and I like it this way. However, sometimes I am jealous of girls who have short hair because they usually have really cool hairstyles..
Reply 14
How much did you get taken off when you cut your hair before?

What do you think the girl in the video and the length of hair that she had cut off?

The front was about chin length the back SUPER short, short enough to spike D=

I DO think her hair looked amazing after she had it cut, but I think that was in part coz she didn't have it styled before!
Reply 15
Original post by Cariie
Don't do it all in one go! I went from long hair (mid/lower back) to shoulder length then a d bob (I was bleaching it so had to get the orange ends cut of :rolleyes:) But now I've been trying to grow it back ever since! It's still only shoulder length :/ I miss being able to do more with long hair :frown: It was a nice change at the time though and apparently suits me better . . .It's personal preference I guess!

Thanks for your reply, I just saw your post.

I know what you mean about trying to grow your hair back. It seems to take ages for hair to grow! My hair is past my bum now, but I haven't really been trying to grow it and it has kind of got that long on its own but when I think about trying to grow my hair out it seems to take too much time. I know that sounds weird but thats what happened :rolleyes:

Do you think I should get a similar amount cut off to the girl in the video? Or is that too much to chop off in one go?
Reply 16

I know what you mean about trying to grow your hair back. It seems to take ages for hair to grow! My hair is past my bum now, but I haven't really been trying to grow it and it has kind of got that long on its own but when I think about trying to grow my hair out it seems to take too much time. I know that sounds weird but thats what happened :rolleyes:

Do you think I should get a similar amount cut off to the girl in the video? Or is that too much to chop off in one go?

I'd say maybe go mid waist for starters then to the length she's gone for in the video, below the shoulders :smile: Don't go straight for above the shoulders, it's a right bother if you change your mind haha why do you want it cut? Do you just fancy a change of style? You could get some amazing layered cuts with longer hair :smile:
Reply 17
Original post by Cariie
I'd say maybe go mid waist for starters then to the length she's gone for in the video, below the shoulders :smile: Don't go straight for above the shoulders, it's a right bother if you change your mind haha why do you want it cut? Do you just fancy a change of style? You could get some amazing layered cuts with longer hair :smile:

Thanks for your reply Cariie,
I think I will start by going to mid-back, or maybe even lower back first. Then, if after a couple of months of having my hair like that I still feel that I am sure I want it shorter, I will go for the chop.
There are quite a few reasons why I want it shorter: to make it easier to maintain, less of an impact on lifestyle, to not have my hair draw attention to me when I'm out and about and so that I can wear it down for nights out because I just can't with my current length.
The reasons against cutting it seem to be just: I'm scared of change and am worried that guys won't find me attractive as much with shorter hair.
Funnily enough, all the guys I have told that I am considering cutting my hair have urged me to do it and said they think a different style would suit me.

As for layers, I am strongly considering getting a mid-back length cut with shoulder-length layers, that way it still looks like you've got some length and it is easier to maintain, style, tie up etc.

P.s. sorry for my long post :smile:

I had really long hair until I was 11. Had it cut from past my butt to just longer than shoulder lenght. It grows pretty quicklt really since then have had it as long as been past mid back which is long concidering that i keep having it could to sholder lenght quite often.
I had mie chopped and donated it to locks of love. Spent the last two years growing it back.

Quick Reply

Latest