The Student Room Group
UAL entrance
University of the Arts London
London
Visit website

Central Saint Martins - BA (Hons) Graphic Design

Hello all,

Does anyone here apply for Graphic Design in CSM? I sent my application, and I received an email saying that they want me to submit a mini portfolio online. The problem is, when I went to the open day, they did say that they wanted applicants to bring their portfolios to the uni, and they will have a look at it. So I just wonder if anyone knows anything about this, did they change their way of interviews and stuff? Anyone here already got into CSM this year?

Also, any advices on how to present your mini portfolio? They said I need to submit 10 examples of work, and no more. So what do they mean by "examples"?

Thank you all so much!
Hey,

Probably not an ideal comparison but I'm from Singapore, applied for Graphic Design in CSM and got an offer for a place there, pending an English test. The format of work presentation is a lot different from what you've mentioned but when i met the interviewer (Collin Kerrigan), he made it clear he was more interested in the more experimentation-al aspect of work, so I would go with that.
UAL entrance
University of the Arts London
London
Visit website
Reply 2
Congrats!
When did they interview you? I'm an international student as well, it's just that I'm currently doing A level in UK.
Can I ask what did you include in your portfolio? I've got some web designs, packagings, posters, and also photography and drawings. Will that be good enough?
I already got offers from Winchester and Bournemouth, but CSM is my first choice, so I'm really nervous!
Interview was on the 21st Jan. There really isnt any particular form of work that theyre looking for. Like I mentioned, I think they want to see you move out of your comfort zone and try something new. Some of the things I did that I included into my portfolio was designing my own type, doing projection mapping and filming the whole process, creating a timelapse video (http://vimeo.com/34326844 shameless plug).

So really, its just trying new stuff. Yes it can be in the form of photography or posters, but the most important thing is that you're showing you're willing to try new things and taking unorthodox directions/methods to create something.
Reply 4
Original post by anhmeow
Hello all,

Does anyone here apply for Graphic Design in CSM? I sent my application, and I received an email saying that they want me to submit a mini portfolio online. The problem is, when I went to the open day, they did say that they wanted applicants to bring their portfolios to the uni, and they will have a look at it. So I just wonder if anyone knows anything about this, did they change their way of interviews and stuff? Anyone here already got into CSM this year?

Also, any advices on how to present your mini portfolio? They said I need to submit 10 examples of work, and no more. So what do they mean by "examples"?

Thank you all so much!

Yes I applied, I've sent my mini portfolio and I'm waiting to hear back.
Could I see your portfolio? Did you put it on flickr?
Reply 5
Original post by l.j.s18ftw
Yes I applied, I've sent my mini portfolio and I'm waiting to hear back.
Could I see your portfolio? Did you put it on flickr?

Have you heard back from them? I haven't =( Arghh it's really nerve-wracking
Reply 6
Original post by anhmeow
Have you heard back from them? I haven't =( Arghh it's really nerve-wracking

Yes I heard back on monday I have a portfolio review next week.
Only kingston to here back from now. Good luck, where else you applied?
Reply 7
Yes I heard back on monday I have a portfolio review next week.
Only kingston to here back from now. Good luck, where else you applied?

good luck! How did they contact you? via UCAS or else? I only applied for Winchester, Bournemouth and CSM. I already got offers from the other two ages ago, only CSM left =(
Reply 8
Original post by anhmeow
good luck! How did they contact you? via UCAS or else? I only applied for Winchester, Bournemouth and CSM. I already got offers from the other two ages ago, only CSM left =(

email
Reply 9
email

how long did u wait before they contact you? i am really impatient right now =(
Reply 10
Original post by anhmeow
how long did u wait before they contact you? i am really impatient right now =(

I sent my mini portfolio on 6th feb and heard back on 27
Reply 11
I sent my mini portfolio on 6th feb and heard back on 27

did you have your interview? hope it was alright! I am still waiting now and it seems hopeless

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending