The Student Room Group

Fast Stream 2012

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1820
Original post by monthen
If it's any consolation, Ellie, I don't have mine either. Having said that, I'm still awaiting results for EFS DS, so that could be why.

My understanding is that around 15 EFSers are taken on each year, and that there may be 8-10 who are successful at FSAC, but who are not offered a job. I don't particularly like those odds, I have to say, but I suppose if I'm still in the running for EFS DS after all these narrowings, I am likely to have scored highly enough to be in with a good chance.

I may be misinterpreting my own situation, but I hope that the figures above are helpful (they are reliable).

PS: I wonder if this part of the process is to test competency number 7: inexhaustible reserves of patience....

Interested to hear where these figures come from. I know the recent Fast Stream newsletter said on average, 15 EFS people are taken each year, but I haven't come across the 8-10 extra anywhere.

I've also had conflicting reports of what makes up the final sift for EFS - if it's just a check you have one of the languages, meet the nationality requirement, and then the top FSAC people go through, or if its a more widespread language capability check, nationality check, and then a look at all your scores (i.e. eTray and SHL tests as well). Communication on the EFS scheme isn't great, gotta say.
For the schemes with FSBs, does anyone know whether the final decision is made solely on the FSB, or whether they take your FSAC score into account?
Reply 1822
Original post by lm222
Interested to hear where these figures come from. I know the recent Fast Stream newsletter said on average, 15 EFS people are taken each year, but I haven't come across the 8-10 extra anywhere.

I've also had conflicting reports of what makes up the final sift for EFS - if it's just a check you have one of the languages, meet the nationality requirement, and then the top FSAC people go through, or if its a more widespread language capability check, nationality check, and then a look at all your scores (i.e. eTray and SHL tests as well). Communication on the EFS scheme isn't great, gotta say.

Agreed. I got those figures directly from Cabinet Office. I won't post the full email, but those figures are the most relevant part, and I assumed that EFS wouldn't mind me sharing them.

I'm still a little unclear on exactly what's involved in the sift process myself. I know that online test markings form a part of it, as that's indicative as to your chances of success in the concours.

My understanding is that they only require a language check if they cannot verify your skills on a paper basis. As for the other scores they take into account:

There are a limited number of European Fast Stream places available. We will check your application to ensure that you meet the language requirement. We will then complete a paper sift based on your online test scores, your FSAC score and language skills. We will be in touch to let you know the outcome. Once the European Fast Streamers have been selected, no other options will be available in the scheme for unsuccessful candidates.

So it seems to me that it's entirely possible that a candidate with good FSAC scores could not be offered a job if, say, they have A-level French, and all other good candidates have degree-level. This concerns me, but there's nothing I can do about it now.

On the plus side, of everyone who applied for EFS, only around 25 (going on previous figures) are successful at FSAC, so I suppose that's something.

Hope this is helpful, but don't take it as gospel!
Reply 1823
Original post by monthen
Agreed. I got those figures directly from Cabinet Office. I won't post the full email, but those figures are the most relevant part, and I assumed that EFS wouldn't mind me sharing them.

I'm still a little unclear on exactly what's involved in the sift process myself. I know that online test markings form a part of it, as that's indicative as to your chances of success in the concours.

My understanding is that they only require a language check if they cannot verify your skills on a paper basis. As for the other scores they take into account:

So it seems to me that it's entirely possible that a candidate with good FSAC scores could not be offered a job if, say, they have A-level French, and all other good candidates have degree-level. This concerns me, but there's nothing I can do about it now.

On the plus side, of everyone who applied for EFS, only around 25 (going on previous figures) are successful at FSAC, so I suppose that's something.

Hope this is helpful, but don't take it as gospel!

Helpful, but worrying! Especially the indication they might look for more-than-A-levels for the language ability.

Do you know if they look at your application form?
Reply 1824
I'm really not sure, to tell you the truth.

I just suspect that, if they can't separate candidates any other way, then the respective levels of language ability may be a deciding factor. I could be wrong on that, but it seems a fair inference.

Roll on 'early April'....
Reply 1825
Original post by monthen
then the respective levels of language ability may be a deciding factor. I could be wrong on that, but it seems a fair inference.

Roll on 'early April'....

That would be so frustrating! Having sat the Concours this year (I failed at the final assessment centre, by a few marks), it doesn't really need anything beyond A-levels.

Also what's early April? Finding out if you have an FSB?
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 1826
Random question (someone who's clueless and would like to try this when I'm finishing my degree). Do you apply in the final year of your degree, or after you've graduated?
You can apply almost any time (I'm 31!), but the earliest you can apply is the final year of your degree course. The deadline is usually November, so really you need to be getting ready as soon as you head back to university after summer :smile:
Original post by Gales
Random question (someone who's clueless and would like to try this when I'm finishing my degree). Do you apply in the final year of your degree, or after you've graduated?

Either. If your still completing your degree I think they ask for expected grade.

I applied after I'd finished my degree but I'd been working in civil service for 2 years and decided I wanted to try fast stream.

This is my second attempt at getting through.
I wanted to say to everyone who is not successful this year but plans on reapplying to really read through the report and make sure that you act on what they suggest. I was unsuccessful last year for CD with 16.7 and found out I passed for CD today with 18.4 :-D I really worked on what was suggested in the report and it makes a massive difference second time. Good luck!
Reply 1830
Capture.PNG

Sick of seeing this daily, think I've just failed competency number 7 :tongue:

Original post by monthen
PS: I wonder if this part of the process is to test competency number 7: inexhaustible reserves of patience....
Original post by rach2012
Capture.PNG

Sick of seeing this daily, think I've just failed competency number 7 :tongue:

What stream are you waiting on?
Reply 1832
Original post by F6053721
What stream are you waiting on?

HR
Reply 1833
I don't suppose anyone who's been successful or unsuccessful for the DS would be willing to share overall scores, so that we can start working out a likely benchmark figure?

Probably asking a lot, so no worries if folk are too shy. Worth a shot!
Original post by rach2012
HR

Me too. Only did FSAC last week but I'm trying to think that no news means I've not got a "no" yet, but this waiting is already stressing me
Original post by monthen
I don't suppose anyone who's been successful or unsuccessful for the DS would be willing to share overall scores, so that we can start working out a likely benchmark figure?

Probably asking a lot, so no worries if folk are too shy. Worth a shot!

I'm unsuccessful but don't know my score yet.
Original post by lovers in japan
I'm unsuccessful but don't know my score yet.

When/how did you find out you were unsuccessful for the DS?

Commiserations btw.
Hi

I emailed parity and they said anyone waiting for HoP will NOT get their scores until after all the FSACS are done and the invitation to HoP assessment has been sent out.
Has anyone receive their expenses back from the FSAC? Mine was authorised about a week ago but nothing received back yet. Just wondering how long it takes.
Original post by more tea vicar?
When/how did you find out you were unsuccessful for the DS?

Commiserations btw.

Last adjustment, a week ago on the Monday. And meh, thought about it, and I don't know if I want to be sent abroad tbh! So it's for the best :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending