The Student Room Group

The DFID one year graduate scheme

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by elliot1988
@josephus

Just to confirm, "the last 2 days" is in regard to the last two days before the application deadline right? They aren't accepting late entries are they?

Yep, the last 2 days before the deadline.

"Thank you for your interest in the DFID Graduate Development Scheme. Please note that the Graduate Development Scheme for 2012 closed for applications at midnight/24:00 GMT on Tuesday 20th March 2012.

If you have submitted an application after this time, we are not able to accept your application. We do plan to open the scheme again next year - please check our website in January 2013 for further details.

We have received a fantastic response since the launch of the scheme and a high volume of applications, indeed, more than two thousand applications were submitted in the two days prior to the closing date.

Therefore we are continuing to assess applications and if you submitted your application prior to the closing date and time, we will respond to you regarding the outcome of your application as soon as we possibly can which we anticipate being around the 20th April.
"
Reply 41
@GdotL

unnecessarily rude and unhelpful. I don't know why you bothered.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 42
Thanks for the helpful reply Josephus. Good luck!
Reply 43
@GdotL

unnecessarily rude and unhelpful. I don't know why you bothered.

Agreed! I'm always surprised by how rude people on this site are to total strangers for no reason.

For everyone else - a bit of news. I've just spoken to a guy on twitter who has heard back about his application already AND been for his assessment centre day 3 days ago.

So it seems that they're contacting people on a rolling basis, and not waiting until 20th.
Original post by jozephus
Agreed! I'm always surprised by how rude people on this site are to total strangers for no reason.

For everyone else - a bit of news. I've just spoken to a guy on twitter who has heard back about his application already AND been for his assessment centre day 3 days ago.

So it seems that they're contacting people on a rolling basis, and not waiting until 20th.

HUH?! thanks for sharing, but also making me worried that I havent heard! I got on the fast stream for central departments but for some insane reason didnt put dfid down as first choice and have ended up with the Ministry of Justice. I have no idea which to choose if I got this scheme!
Reply 45
Come on guys, I'm not rude, it was just a bit of a ridiculous question as anyone can go on the website for themselves!
Reply 46

Yeah I was really surprised, especially on here.

Do you know when the twitter guy found out he had made it through to the assessment centre stage? and when he sent off his application? From the sounds of it they didn't give much notice at all.
Reply 47

That is very interesting news - hopefully they're just going through who submitted their applications first as opposed to who they want the most!

Original post by ellie_flower
HUH?! thanks for sharing, but also making me worried that I havent heard! I got on the fast stream for central departments but for some insane reason didnt put dfid down as first choice and have ended up with the Ministry of Justice. I have no idea which to choose if I got this scheme!

Well done! When did you graduate?
Reply 48
Original post by GdotL
Come on guys, I'm not rude, it was just a bit of a ridiculous question as anyone can go on the website for themselves!

Well it came across as rude and certainly wasn't helpful. While it wasn't the most pertinent of questions, I was concerned and just seeking confirmation. Anyway, lets just forget about it.
Reply 49
Well it came across as rude and certainly wasn't helpful. While it wasn't the most pertinent of questions, I was concerned and just seeking confirmation. Anyway, lets just forget about it.

:wink:
Original post by GdotL
That is very interesting news - hopefully they're just going through who submitted their applications first as opposed to who they want the most!

Well done! When did you graduate?

I havent graduated yet :smile: But thanks
Reply 51
Original post by ellie_flower

Hi, well done! From what I understand, the fast stream is a far superior scheme (in terms of duration, responsibility, opportunities, prospects etc.) Given that DFID hardly take any fast streamers (something like 4 per year - it's almost impossible to get in so I wouldn't worry about not having it as your first choice), almost everyone I know who has worked there as a fast streamer has got in by starting in another department and transferring in when an opportunity came up.

I guess you just have to decide which is best for you. I'd be tempted to stick with the Fast Stream and have the hope of getting into DFID in a higher and more secure role after a while, but that's just me.
Reply 52
Original post by GdotL

That's what I'm hoping!
Reply 53
Do you know when the twitter guy found out he had made it through to the assessment centre stage? and when he sent off his application? From the sounds of it they didn't give much notice at all.

Afraid not. He didn't reply to my 2nd tweet.

I guess we'll all find out sooner or later.
Hi, well done! From what I understand, the fast stream is a far superior scheme (in terms of duration, responsibility, opportunities, prospects etc.) Given that DFID hardly take any fast streamers (something like 4 per year - it's almost impossible to get in so I wouldn't worry about not having it as your first choice), almost everyone I know who has worked there as a fast streamer has got in by starting in another department and transferring in when an opportunity came up.

I guess you just have to decide which is best for you. I'd be tempted to stick with the Fast Stream and have the hope of getting into DFID in a higher and more secure role after a while, but that's just me.

thanks for the advice, really appreciated.
Reply 55

Damn Alex Smethurst lol.
Reply 56

Ah, i guess patience is in order :frown:.
Reply 57
Original post by Rakas21
DFID?

Cringe.
Reply 58
Original post by Fynch101
Cringe.

Haha, you applied too?
Reply 59
Wow, for the briefest of moments I thought that there might not actually be a lot of competition (relative to other grad schemes like the Fast Stream). Guess I was very, very wrong...

Quick Reply

Latest