The Student Room Group

Difference between Computer Science and Software Engineering?

Hi guys, can someone please tell me the difference between the two. Is computer science making the computer and all its parts and is there a good job prospect and pay?, and is software engineering just making different software's and whats the job prospect and pay like? i want to study one of them but dont really know the difference.
Reply 1
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Computer_science
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Software_engineering

At degree level there isn't much difference except a few modules, the fundamentals are the same. And you won't get too far on CS if you don't use google.
Reply 2
I'd say Computer science is classed more as a Techican job, where as Software engineering is more of a Engineer/management job.
Original post by imhiya
I'd say Computer science is classed more as a Techican job, where as Software engineering is more of a Engineer/management job.

homer_simpson_doh_02.gif

:wink:
Reply 4
Original post by imhiya

What on earth is a technician job?
Original post by SK151
Hi guys, can someone please tell me the difference between the two. Is computer science making the computer and all its parts and is there a good job prospect and pay?, and is software engineering just making different software's and whats the job prospect and pay like? i want to study one of them but dont really know the difference.

EDIT: From the post below, it seems I have it the wrong way round, sorry. (I haven't editted the text below so it is the wrong way round.)
Computer science/Computing is primarily computer software I believe. Mostly code in different languages, Java, html, C++ etc

Whereas software engineering is more of integrating software with hardware and things like robots and a bit of electrical and electronic engineering as well as some software engineering.

(Correct me if I'm wrong please)
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 6
Original post by TheGrinningSkull
Computer science/Computing is primarily computer software I believe. Mostly code in different languages, Java, html, C++ etc

Whereas software engineering is more of integrating software with hardware and things like robots and a bit of electrical and electronic engineering as well as some software engineering.

(Correct me if I'm wrong please)

Actually, I think that's the wrong way round. I'm taking several modules related to software engineering, wherein a lot of time is spent designing and developing practical software in a range of languages.

Computer science involves algorithms, some mathematics, and electronics theory (although for some reason, many people on TSR seem to disagree with the latter being a part of computer science- what a bunch of half-adders :tongue: ).
Original post by roblee
Actually, I think that's the wrong way round. I'm taking several modules related to software engineering, wherein a lot of time is spent designing and developing practical software in a range of languages.

Computer science involves algorithms, some mathematics, and electronics theory (although for some reason, many people on TSR seem to disagree with the latter being a part of computer science- what a bunch of half-adders :tongue: ).

Ahh, okay, thanks for correcting me.

So what subject is involved with integrated circuits, linking hardware to software and also robotics and AI?
Reply 8
Original post by TheGrinningSkull
Ahh, okay, thanks for correcting me.

So what subject is involved with integrated circuits, linking hardware to software and also robotics and AI?

These ones, off the top of my head:

Electronic engineering

Computer systems engineering

Computer science (with AI modules)

There also exist several dedicated Robotics and AI courses around the country, or at least there did ~5 years ago, the last time I looked.
Original post by roblee

Electronic engineering

There also exist several dedicated Robotics and AI courses around the country, or at least there did ~5 years ago, the last time I looked.

Reply 10
Original post by roblee

Electronic engineering

I have a feeling most CS/AI courses will be more focused on AI theory rather than Robotics since it's a lot easier to teach and AI software is more widespread. It's worth making sure an AI course has some kind of hardware implementation.
Insane amount of wrongposting in this thread.

Software Engineering is the application of standard engineering principles to the production of software. It teaches you about the different processes of producing a huge complex piece of software within a team by introducing various measurable methodologies and metrics. Computer Science is just a broad term that encompasses Software Engineering. The only difference between a SE degree and a CS degree is more of the Software Engineering specific modules will be compulsory, that's it.
Reply 12
Thanks guys, all your comments helped. I seen this video about computer science at the university if sheffield, can you all watch it and tell me if you really have to make those little machine robot type things, because i thought it was all about using computers and making algorithms and software, Here's the link
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=emqCXGgDX5Q
Reply 13
Original post by SK151
Thanks guys, all your comments helped. I seen this video about computer science at the university if sheffield, can you all watch it and tell me if you really have to make those little machine robot type things, because i thought it was all about using computers and making algorithms and software, Here's the link
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=emqCXGgDX5Q

My guess is that the students don't make the robots but they write programs to control them. I don't know about that particular course, so I'm not sure, but usually computer science doesn't deal so much with physically making hardware. Although it might touch on processor design, but even then it's mostly about how they work logically, not about how they're fabricated, or details about their electrical properties.
Reply 14
Original post by coldplasma
Insane amount of wrongposting in this thread.

Software Engineering is the application of standard engineering principles to the production of software. It teaches you about the different processes of producing a huge complex piece of software within a team by introducing various measurable methodologies and metrics. Computer Science is just a broad term that encompasses Software Engineering. The only difference between a SE degree and a CS degree is more of the Software Engineering specific modules will be compulsory, that's it.

What's the IS program like in Europe? I am an American thinking about going to grad school in the UK. I have looked at London School of Economics's IS program and do not know what to make of it.

Quick Reply