The Student Room Group
Students researching, Cardiff Metropolitan University (UWIC)
Cardiff Metropolitan University
Visit website

Cardiff met / uwic

Scroll to see replies

Original post by gateshipone
We do support Macs, and they do tend to work with most things you'll need. Plus plenty of students have them. I would recommend dual booting windows as well just for the odd time where your Mac decides it doesn't want to work! I would say don't get an Air though, it doesn't have an optical drive and you may find you need to use software that is only available on a disc. Like SPSS, a stats program. You can get it free from the library but it comes on a disc. If you do insist on getting a Mac, get a macbook.

My personal preference (ie not UWIC policy or advice!) is for a windows machine as they just tend to be easier to use with most things. Macs I've found are really fussy and will just refuse to work sometimes but not tell you why. With windows we can generally get them up and running again quickly.

Yeah I'm starting to realise we're going to be very busy in September and that's already the busiest time of the year!

As much as I'm looking forward to meeting you 3, I will be looking for a new job all summer :tongue:

Yeah, a lot of people in IT prefer Windows. But I've always wanted a Mac, I'm not sure I want to commit to the amount of money they cost. If I were to get a laptop, what would you recommend? I had a Packard Bell, and never again I say.

I'm very virus prone, that's my problem. Let's just say I get told off for not protecting my laptop / desktop better. It's like virus protection hates me and only tells me there is one if it's about to die.

Apart from that, I treat my laptops like queens or kings :wink:. I'll have to get you to install all the virus software in the world, instead of me torrenting them. xD
Students researching, Cardiff Metropolitan University (UWIC)
Cardiff Metropolitan University
Visit website
Original post by ladysummers
Yeah, a lot of people in IT prefer Windows. But I've always wanted a Mac, I'm not sure I want to commit to the amount of money they cost. If I were to get a laptop, what would you recommend? I had a Packard Bell, and never again I say.

I'm very virus prone, that's my problem. Let's just say I get told off for not protecting my laptop / desktop better. It's like virus protection hates me and only tells me there is one if it's about to die.

Apart from that, I treat my laptops like queens or kings :wink:. I'll have to get you to install all the virus software in the world, instead of me torrenting them. xD

I've always owned toshiba laptops and they've been great. Our loan laptops are Toshiba's too.

Just download AVGFree and Malwarebytes and you'll be fine.
It's not just the ladies who break things, guys do too! I think by the end of their time here, every single student comes to the help desk at least once. In the case of you guys, it'll be daily for the first few months it seems!
Turns out I won't be at Cardiff Met in September, I got a new job! You guys will have to drive my wonderful colleagues mad instead :smile:
Turns out I won't be at Cardiff Met in September, I got a new job! You guys will have to drive my wonderful colleagues mad instead :smile:

Ooh congratulations! Where's the new job? Quite gutted we can't wind you up after all the discussions we've had ;P
Original post by Soph.Jade
Ooh congratulations! Where's the new job? Quite gutted we can't wind you up after all the discussions we've had ;P

It's with cardiff uni :smile:

On the plus side, there will be a newbie there in my place who won't know all the quirks of our computers there, so they'll be even more confused by you!
It's with cardiff uni :smile:

On the plus side, there will be a newbie there in my place who won't know all the quirks of our computers there, so they'll be even more confused by you!

Ahh cools, all the best with the new job :smile: I'm sure there'll be a few of us to scare the newbie in his first few weeks :gigg:
Reply 67
Anybody else studying business management and staying in plas gwyn in sept? :biggrin:
Reply 68
I am not officially studying Complementary Therapies and living in Plas Gwyn from September. Received all my offers through this week!

Is anyone going to get a Metrider bus pass thing? I'm trying to figure out if it'll seem worth it or not..
Original post by MyEuphoria
I am not officially studying Complementary Therapies and living in Plas Gwyn from September. Received all my offers through this week!

Is anyone going to get a Metrider bus pass thing? I'm trying to figure out if it'll seem worth it or not..

It works out cheaper than buying a pass from Cardiff Bus directly and works on any bus in Cardiff, not just the metrider buses. I'd say unless you plan on walking everywhere it probably will pay for itself over a year.
Reply 70
Aha love how I put I'm not studying instead of now, but you got the picture.

Ahh I see well that's alright then, just wanted opinions on if it seemed worth it.
Reply 71
Original post by 177719
Anybody else studying business management and staying in plas gwyn in sept? :biggrin:

I'm going to be studying business management too! But staying at Evelian :smile:
Reply 72
Studying economics and staying at plas gwyn hopefully! Just waiting on results day! Don't see many other people studying economics though...

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Just got my place confirmed for Hospitality and Events management! :biggrin:
I'm officially in. ^_^

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Reply 75
I've officially got a place! studying psychology and staying in plas gwyn!
Got into Plas Gwyn too!
Reply 77
I'm doing health sciences foundation too :smile:
Congrats to all you freshers. Shame I won't be there to fix all your computers and answer all your questions when things break in the first week!
Nice to be in demand! But nah, I dig my new job too much to give it up :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending