The Student Room Group

ICE Quest Civil Engineering scholarship

I was just wondering whether anyone reading this has taken advantage of said scholarship, and what sorts of things they are looking for in the application form etc, what sorts of things would be asked at interview, experiences of the summer work placements etc. Basically any information at all, before I finally submit my application.

I have read the relevant pages on the ICE website thoroughly, and they are useful up to a point, but I thought it would be worthwhile asking to see if anyone has first-hand experience of the QUEST programme.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I am applying as well. Where are you going in sept?
Reply 2
Original post by CurtainrailMan
I was just wondering whether anyone reading this has taken advantage of said scholarship, and what sorts of things they are looking for in the application form etc, what sorts of things would be asked at interview, experiences of the summer work placements etc. Basically any information at all, before I finally submit my application.

I have read the relevant pages on the ICE website thoroughly, and they are useful up to a point, but I thought it would be worthwhile asking to see if anyone has first-hand experience of the QUEST programme.

Hey I am applying as well :smile:
Just treating it as a sort of personal statement really. Trying to answer each bit as honestly as I can, then I will just see what happens.
Reply 3
You sent you application off yet?
Reply 4
Original post by dj1015
You sent you application off yet?

Not yet that is my plan this weekend :smile: Revision comes first though, no point having a scholarship without a place at uni! Where are you hoping to go if you dont mind me asking?
I've not sent my application off yet. I'll be going to Edinburgh "proper" if they'll let me in (Conditional for a B in my Advanced Higher Maths), otherwise Edinburgh Heriot-Watt. Me being Scottish is one of the reasons I was a bit apprehensive in commiting myself to anything, given the ludicrous transport costs in getting me to London for interview (assuming it would get that far :wink: ). Though my school sent off my (slightly garbled) reference last week, so I guess I'm going for it.
Reply 6
I've not sent my application off yet. I'll be going to Edinburgh "proper" if they'll let me in (Conditional for a B in my Advanced Higher Maths), otherwise Edinburgh Heriot-Watt. Me being Scottish is one of the reasons I was a bit apprehensive in commiting myself to anything, given the ludicrous transport costs in getting me to London for interview (assuming it would get that far :wink: ). Though my school sent off my (slightly garbled) reference last week, so I guess I'm going for it.

Yeah that does seem unfair with that great distance to go :L There is one in Northern Ireland which strangely could be closer to you... not sure though! Ah Edinburgh looks fantastic, I thought about it but its too far away for me, I guess if you are scottish its great though :smile:
Good luck to you (or not if you dont want to pay a fortune getting there... :P)
Original post by Cpt_Oppius
Yeah that does seem unfair with that great distance to go :L There is one in Northern Ireland which strangely could be closer to you... not sure though! Ah Edinburgh looks fantastic, I thought about it but its too far away for me, I guess if you are scottish its great though :smile:
Good luck to you (or not if you dont want to pay a fortune getting there... :P)

Annoyingly, I can't go to the Belfast one because that is just for students studying in NI/Eire. Bugger.

Where have you accepted then?
Reply 8
Annoyingly, I can't go to the Belfast one because that is just for students studying in NI/Eire. Bugger.

Where have you accepted then?

Ah man that must be annoying :L
I firmed Bath for Civil and Architectural, got to get the grades though, A*AA or AAAA- scary stuff!
Never thought I could potentially go somewhere like that so I am really excited about it :smile:
Reply 9
Not yet that is my plan this weekend :smile: Revision comes first though, no point having a scholarship without a place at uni! Where are you hoping to go if you dont mind me asking?

I got a unconditional (well it will be in a week or so) from Manchester. I just finished the foundation year there, so my exams where over last month.

If you got a place, you wouldnt regret it. The paid summer placements are worth it without the extra money.
I'm applying for just the £2,500 (no sponsorship), but that makes it rather hard to fill the 'What do you hope to achieve from this' section out. I've been trying to think of something engineering-related I can tell them I'll spend the money on for the past week now
Reply 11
ICE re-imburse your travel/accomodation costs, or at least they did with mine. If you are successful and get an interview, then you pick 5 companies you'd like to work for. You then are interviewed by representives from each company. Interview questions are just general "why do you want to be an engineer", "why do you deserve a scholarship", "what do you know about the company". Obviously they are looking for the leadership, initiative, ambition. Get info on what projects they have been involved in, when they were established, specialities etc.

I remember on my first interview messing up by forgetting how to tie a tie. I was waiting for my turn on one of the chairs fiddling about with it and trying to put it on, when one of the interviewers came out and saw me trying to figure it out. She said "I'll just let you finish tying that". At that point, it was either look like an arse and have the woman put my tie on for me or shove it in my pocket. I chose to stick it in my pocket haha. She just stared at me.

Saying that, I didn't get the scholarship. Was worth the experience though as you have nothing to lose. I really do wish I'd put more effort into it though as lots of people don't bother applying. If you do get it, you're pretty much sorted for the rest of your course... which I could use now :smile:
Original post by abcdefg1
ICE re-imburse your travel/accomodation costs, or at least they did with mine. If you are successful and get an interview, then you pick 5 companies you'd like to work for. You then are interviewed by representives from each company. Interview questions are just general "why do you want to be an engineer", "why do you deserve a scholarship", "what do you know about the company". Obviously they are looking for the leadership, initiative, ambition. Get info on what projects they have been involved in, when they were established, specialities etc.

I remember on my first interview messing up by forgetting how to tie a tie. I was waiting for my turn on one of the chairs fiddling about with it and trying to put it on, when one of the interviewers came out and saw me trying to figure it out. She said "I'll just let you finish tying that". At that point, it was either look like an arse and have the woman put my tie on for me or shove it in my pocket. I chose to stick it in my pocket haha. She just stared at me.

Saying that, I didn't get the scholarship. Was worth the experience though as you have nothing to lose. I really do wish I'd put more effort into it though as lots of people don't bother applying. If you do get it, you're pretty much sorted for the rest of your course... which I could use now :smile:

Thanks man, thats really helpful :smile:
If I get an interview I will be obsessed with getting my tie on straight now! What sort of things did you put on your application? Just trying to get an idea of how mine compares :P
Reply 13
Thanks man, thats really helpful :smile:
If I get an interview I will be obsessed with getting my tie on straight now! What sort of things did you put on your application? Just trying to get an idea of how mine compares :P

I just tailored my personal statement towards criteria they asked for. It was pretty generic. The tricky part was putting across a good reason why I deserved the money as I didn't have any financial problems. I never really had a good reason other than it would give me more time to focus on my studies... but that's not really a great reason.

I also had no work experience in engineering. I bent the truth where I could but made sure I could back myself up if asked about it in an interview. There was nothing really special about my application tbh.

I mentioned how prestigious and recognised the scholarship is amongst the industry. I remember saying that one of the appreciations of engineering came from the photo "Lunchtime atop a Skyscraper" (google it) showing how far safety and building techniques have come. It sounds pretty stupid now that I think of it haha but it seemed more original than Lego at the time.

I wrote about driving over the Millau Viaduct and noting what I thought was unique and innovative about the design -- how the bridge design is curved in order to relieve drivers of a floatation feeling.

The application is probably different now as I did this a couple of years back.

Oh and with the ICE representative's interview, they asked me what date the ICE was established and who the first president was. They also asked me if I knew what they did/purpose
Reply 14
I just tailored my personal statement towards criteria they asked for. It was pretty generic. The tricky part was putting across a good reason why I deserved the money as I didn't have any financial problems. I never really had a good reason other than it would give me more time to focus on my studies... but that's not really a great reason.

I also had no work experience in engineering. I bent the truth where I could but made sure I could back myself up if asked about it in an interview. There was nothing really special about my application tbh.

I mentioned how prestigious and recognised the scholarship is amongst the industry. I remember saying that one of the appreciations of engineering came from the photo "Lunchtime atop a Skyscraper" (google it) showing how far safety and building techniques have come. It sounds pretty stupid now that I think of it haha but it seemed more original than Lego at the time.

I wrote about driving over the Millau Viaduct and noting what I thought was unique and innovative about the design -- how the bridge design is curved in order to relieve drivers of a floatation feeling.

Oh and with the ICE representative's interview, they asked me what date the ICE was established and who the first president was. They also asked me if I knew what they did/purpose

Are there many people at your current uni who are on the scholarship? And how are they doing?

Thank you :smile: I dont have much experience either so that has reassured me a bit! I know the photo you mean as well, its pretty cool. Ah thats good to know about the interview, what to expect and stuff.
Reply 16
Original post by dj1015
Are there many people at your current uni who are on the scholarship? And how are they doing?

I know a couple of people on scholarships but I'm not sure if it's Quest. One of the 5th years who overlooked our design project (graduated now) had Quest. Pretty sure he had summer placements every year– his graduate job is the one that was stated on his scholarship.

Your chances are pretty good considering few apply and if you do get it then it puts you at a huge advantage.
Reply 17
I know a couple of people on scholarships but I'm not sure if it's Quest. One of the 5th years who overlooked our design project (graduated now) had Quest. Pretty sure he had summer placements every year– his graduate job is the one that was stated on his scholarship.

Your chances are pretty good considering few apply and if you do get it then it puts you at a huge advantage.

Really don't understand why it isnt more popular tbh....

I thought it was to good to be true when I first heard about it.
Reply 18
Original post by jakewalton4
I'm applying for just the £2,500 (no sponsorship), but that makes it rather hard to fill the 'What do you hope to achieve from this' section out. I've been trying to think of something engineering-related I can tell them I'll spend the money on for the past week now

No sponsorship as in you're going for the scholarship without a partnered company? If I'm understanding you correctly, then you must be crazy - the guaranteed internships are the biggest advantage of being a Quest scholar. £3000, (or £2500 as it is now) is nice, but those interships will really set you up if you can get partnered with a nice company. That is, unless you want to go into finance, in which case take the whole no company thing is better - in some ways, I think the real purpose of Quest is just to cock block the higher achievers from going into banking.
Reply 19
I am still awake working on my application, I've lost count of the number of hours I have spent on this. This whole form makes UCAS look like a walk in the park......

Quick Reply

Latest