The Student Room Group

Girls - Why you shouldn't use scales

Scroll to see replies

Original post by lilabs
Surely for a female body a bit of fat is needed?

A BIT yes. That is why I said, in one of my previous posts, mostly muscle and not ALL muscle.
Reply 21
It doesn't mean fat as in large, it's a term referring to body fat percentage. If someone is slim, but has a higher body fat percentage than is healthy they are skinny fat. They may look good in clothes, but underneath they have flabby bits and not enough muscle to give that more "toned" look.

That's how I understand it anyway.
Reply 22
The point is most girls just aim to be a certain weight and do this by calorie counting or cutting calories. Yes this will get you to your desired weight, but it won't get you to your desired look. To get your desired look you need to exercise and probably do weights.

Lads are different, they don't really have weight goals. their goals are normally to get a 6 pack(so be lean) and then have muscles...this means they eat well to get lean and workout well to get muscles, so they look good.

But saying that the bar is set so high for lads it is much more hard work and the bar is so low for women because pretty much all women fail with diet and exercise.

I mean something like this, would be seen as a massive achievement for a female.
karenpang18.jpg

The male equivalent for time and effort would be laughed at and be called small, weak and pathetic. (srs)...That's not even taking into account that a lot of blokes also take steroids, making what is seen as a good physique even more tough for lads that are natural.

Females have it so easy when it comes to getting a good looking body, apart from your not in control of your tits, but if I had crap ones I would just have a tit job.
(edited 11 years ago)
I love all this "be healthy" crap, like any stranger cares in the slightest.
"Be healthy" is the politically correct way of saying "be pretty".
Give me the girl on the left over the girl on the right anyday.
Girls should not be muscly like that.
Reply 25
Original post by johndoranglasgow
I love all this "be healthy" crap, like any stranger cares in the slightest.
"Be healthy" is the politically correct way of saying "be pretty".

Agreed. I personally don't think health ever comes into it for young people. Young people don't care about health, it is something you worry about when you hit your 40's.

I eat too much which supposedly shortens life expectancy, both my ankles are screwed, so will my back be in the future, I am sure my knees will be at some point, my shoulders aren't great, I plan on taking steroids in the future, I still drink alcohol regular, I use sunbeds to look more aesthetic. The list goes on. Virtually no young person trains for health, it is purely for vanity.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by Boom.Squish
Why? :confused: It all comes down to personal preference. I admire the hard work it takes to achieve a body like that, it's just not what I want for myself. Surely you must realise that people want different things? I respect the fact that you prefer a muscular/athletic look, could you not do me the same courtesy? I wasn't the one calling her "Terminator" :rolleyes:

Funny how one smiley can change your whole perception of a person...

Mainly because like others said is that you miss the whole point of the thread. All he was trying to say is that two people who are the same height and weight can look totally different from each other. No one is trying to make anyone have the amount of muscle the girl in the photo has (which I don't think is a problem). Fair enough you don't want to look like that and I'm not forcing you to do that either but I don't understand why this thread has turned into saying about how the girl looks too muscular when that wasn't the purpose of the thread in the first place

Original post by Whatever9999
Such a Stupid comparison ,i hate these kind of threads !
Seriously each to their own ,if you are happy with your body then good for you .If you don't like what you see in the mirror do something about it .No need to rub your weight and your daily exercise routine in everybody's face .It doesn't matter about your size height or how you look ! the only thing that really matters is how you feel about yourself ??

There are far more important things in life than to look at random images from Google and make conclusions.

Can you please explain at what point did he rub his weight and daily exercise routine in everybody's face. All he is saying is that weight doesn't matter and all that matters is body composition and we shouldn't get too obsessed with the scales as they don't tell the full story. Is that a bad thing to say :confused:
Original post by Whatever9999
Such a Stupid comparison ,i hate these kind of threads !
Seriously each to their own ,if you are happy with your body then good for you .If you don't like what you see in the mirror do something about it .No need to rub your weight and your daily exercise routine in everybody's face .It doesn't matter about your size height or how you look ! the only thing that really matters is how you feel about yourself ??

There are far more important things in life than to look at random images from Google and make conclusions.

All the OP pointed out was that being light or slim doesn't mean you are healthy.
Original post by Chrisateen
Mainly because like others said is that you miss the whole point of the thread. All he was trying to say is that two people who are the same height and weight can look totally different from each other. No one is trying to make anyone have the amount of muscle the girl in the photo has (which I don't think is a problem). Fair enough you don't want to look like that and I'm not forcing you to do that either but I don't understand why this thread has turned into saying about how the girl looks too muscular when that wasn't the purpose of the thread in the first place

Well, your contribution was hardly relevant. Other people were commenting on it, so I did too. I don't think she looks "too muscular" anyway and I said nothing like that. I did say I agreed with it and I don't know what else there is to say on the topic unless I were to disagree, which I don't. The picture itself is making a comparison. It's pretty clear that it's promoting the look on the right, as is the OP, so I don't see how stating my own preference is horribly off-point.

I have a feeling that had I gone on about how much I love the athletic look and FREEWEIGHTS FTW and the girl on the right is my dream body instead no one would have said anything :rolleyes:
Reply 29
Good thread, although the discussion on taste (muscular vs softer) is quite irrelevant.

Also, people losing weight through sports tend to gain weight first before they lose it because muscles are more compact/heavier than fat. The danger in this is that (especially girls) start eating less (in combination with a sports regime) because they think they are actually getting heavier in terms of fat. Muscles help you burn the fat, but muscles need food to be able to grow. Good food that is. Training muscles also doesn't mean that you'll look like the hulk within 4 months: good muscle training does not necessarily mean that those muscle will be as prominently visible as those of the girl in the opening post.

It's best to measure progress through loss of inches/cms instead of weight loss.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 30
Original post by IndianDancer
A BIT yes. That is why I said, in one of my previous posts, mostly muscle and not ALL muscle.

Right :smile:
This thread just proves again how much more sensitive about their bodies women are. Fine, everyone would agree there's a lot more pressure on women to look good, but some of them are so hypocritical -- look at the recent thread about muscular men and how critical and dismissive they are. It seems acceptable to criticise a guy physically "ugh look at that" but when the tables are turned they're singing the "be proud of the way you are" speech.
(edited 11 years ago)
The girl on the right looks amazing.
oh god I know I look like the one on the left :frown:
Reply 34
Im on the border of being 'overweight' BMI which is funny. Cant wait till I get there I work hard to put on weight.
Original post by silent ninja
This thread just proves again how much more sensitive about their bodies women are. Fine, everyone would agree there's a lot more pressure on women to look good, but some of them are so hypocritical -- look at the recent thread about muscular men and how critical and dismissive they are. It seems acceptable to criticise a guy physically "ugh look at that" but when the tables are turned they're singing the "be proud of the way you are" speech.

That is because women are brimming to rafters with ****.

It is amazing how women will be phenominally critical of a male body. They will pick out all sorts of flaws and imperfections. Whilst guys are usually like, yeah she is fit rather than saying, ohh she needs slightly bigger boobs or a narrower waist or whatever.
This thread has a good point in it somewhere....somewhere.

Basically BMI and weight are poor indicators unless you are clearly obese. People can be deemed over-weight or have high BMI (and vice versa) without having unhealthy fat amounts. Fat calipers are far better indicators.

And yes girls can be 'skinny-fat', and if girls don't understand what this is perhaps they should look it up. If they are happy with their body then carry on.
Reply 37
Original post by Rizzletastic
This thread has a good point in it somewhere....somewhere.

Basically BMI and weight are poor indicators unless you are clearly obese. People can be deemed over-weight or have high BMI (and vice versa) without having unhealthy fat amounts. Fat calipers are far better indicators.

And yes girls can be 'skinny-fat', and if girls don't understand what this is perhaps they should look it up. If they are happy with their body then carry on.

I made the two good points as per usual. Once again people couldn't accept it.
Original post by Nutty_Psychologist
oh god I know I look like the one on the left :frown:

And? The girl has nothing wrong with her. With proper fitting underwear on she would look far better.

She could have more of an athletic body, but she certainly doesn't have an unattractive body shape.
Original post by Rizzletastic
And? The girl has nothing wrong with her. With proper fitting underwear on she would look far better.

She could have more of an athletic body, but she certainly doesn't have an unattractive body shape.

Personally I just don't think it's about the underwear, it's about her general shape and I'm unhappy mine looks like that
what underwear would you suggest for that person in order for her to not look like that

Quick Reply

Latest