The Student Room Group
Graduation day, University of Glasgow
University of Glasgow
Visit website

University of Glasgow blether thread

Scroll to see replies

Student2806
Where do you live Captain B?

Maryhill. Just beside Murano. That makes it worse knowing the fun they're having up there! :p:
Graduation day, University of Glasgow
University of Glasgow
Visit website
Captain Biggles
Maryhill. Just beside Murano. That makes it worse knowing the fun they're having up there! :p:

Murano was awesome! Although my flat was a hole, I kind of miss it.
I live in the student appartments, it's so dull. Although i live in the only flat that has freshers (the rest of the flats are post-grad or 3rd/4th years) it's so dull as when we try to have a party, the senior resident comes up and stops it. :rolleyes:
^^ Maybe I'm just a dull old third year, but I can understand why it'd get annoying if there were always parties in the student apartments. Third and fourth years are having to really put in the work what with dissertations and exams and essays actually counting towards their degree. It's the same with postgrads.
Possibly, however it's not a regular thing. We've only ever tried to have two since the semester started.

On another note, anyone here about this: http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/glasgow_and_west/7726440.stm

Couldn't walk down the whole of Great George Street all day. :mad:
Reply 25
Murano's apparently not as fun for me as it is for lightweight girls wearing ridiculous clothes and getting hideously and noisily plastered. But hey, my loss, huh? </annoyance>
But at least most of my flatmates are quite cool :smile:
Dr Zeuss™

Yeah I heard about this, and saw the damage the following day. Didn't see the fire though, but it looked intense. Anyone know what caused it? :s-smilie:
Reply 27
Dr Zeuss&#8482
I live in the student appartments, it's so dull. Although i live in the only flat that has freshers (the rest of the flats are post-grad or 3rd/4th years) it's so dull as when we try to have a party, the senior resident comes up and stops it. :rolleyes:

I (evidently) live in a different student apartments building. There aren't any postgrads here and the senior resident doesn't really care what we get up to either. :colone:
Lmao, has anyone enjoyed their course so far?
Reply 29
TheOneWho
Ah the little freshers. Slowly but surely learning the etiquette of the uni. And I hear you have exams coming up soon, bless. It's so good to be a third year and not have exams before Christmas. :p:

dont have exams before xmas either :smile: loving my course, the dissections, dr payne, my pbl group everything!
But you don't have John Shaw-Dunn this year. :frown:

I also gather you've got that fun hierarchy of systems coursework now? I heard some people in the SL today mentioning "cellular level" and "society level." I hated that. :eek: Is it the common cold or something this year? I gathered it was virus-related. (We got rheumatoid arthritis, ick.)

At least you get 3 weeks, we've got a week! Hence why I spent 8 consecutive hours in the SL today drowning in pharmacology books...
Reply 31
Meltdown30
But you don't have John Shaw-Dunn this year. :frown:

I also gather you've got that fun hierarchy of systems coursework now? I heard some people in the SL today mentioning "cellular level" and "society level." I hated that. :eek: Is it the common cold or something this year? I gathered it was virus-related. (We got rheumatoid arthritis, ick.)

At least you get 3 weeks, we've got a week! Hence why I spent 8 consecutive hours in the SL today drowning in pharmacology books...

i think John Shaw-Dunn made an appearance one day :smile:

I hate the hierarchy of systems with a passion, we've got coursework due in next thurs about the flu virus and the defence mechanisms of the respiratory system. I started doing my research today, no idea how I'm going to put this all together. When I encounter anything pharmacology related I'm just going to get on the phone to a friend who is in his 3rd year and nick his notes. :smile:
Block 8 coursework is pharmacology related every year (apparently) and the problem is that there's 240 second years and a limited number of pharmacology books! Hence why I was in the SL stupidly early on Wednesday, in an attempt to get books.

Ours is on myasthenia gravis and acetylcholine receptors this year. (Nearly finished though, woo!)
Anyone heading to the free Alphabeat gig next Monday? Waited 20mins in the queue outside the GU foyer today only to see there was at least a handful of bands left over after everyone who wanted one had received. :frown:
Captain Biggles
Anyone heading to the free Alphabeat gig next Monday? Waited 20mins in the queue outside the GU foyer today only to see there was at least a handful of bands left over after everyone who wanted one had received. :frown:

God damn it!! I forgot that was today :mad:
I planned to, but then I overslept. A couple of my flatmates were the very first people to get tickets. :frown:
I didn't due to my profound hatred of Alphabeat. :p:

On a side note, has anyone heard anything more about the GUU's financial problems. I remember there was a lot of talk about it closing down, but i've not really heard anything more.
Dr Zeuss™
I didn't due to my profound hatred of Alphabeat. :p:

On a side note, has anyone heard anything more about the GUU's financial problems. I remember there was a lot of talk about it closing down, but i've not really heard anything more.

They've been going to "close down" for the last 12 months. It'll never happen - the university will probably bail them out.
The university already has bailed them out I think!

Part of it is due to the building - it's old so is going to need a lot of (very expensive) work in the near future.

I also blame £1 Wednesdays!
I heard that the SRC and the university weren't going to bail them out, but maybe they have. I blame Subway and Costa. Most people go for them and the GUU doesn't get the full profit back, just a rent. The uni would also have to expand the QMU which would cost a hell of a lot.

Quick Reply

Latest