The Student Room Group

GCSE Past Papers, Material and Requests Thread

Scroll to see replies

Reply 100
This is why I am confused. I mean UMS I am trying to understand what it is but it is quite confusing. AQA doesn't make things easier as they don't even have Additional Science grade boundaries that I can find...
Reply 102
Additional Science grade boundaries are really really low.
lilangel890
68%. That's definately not an A*, A or B by any means!

Edit: Actually it could be a B if they lowered the boundaries

68% (31/45) sounds like a reasonable A* boundary for GCSE Sciences.

What was that about qualifications not being dumbed-down?
d123
Additional Science grade boundaries are really really low.

Because they're generally penalising, ambiguous, subjective, and hard to mark!

What the hell, 'trigger' words. :s-smilie:
Reply 105
So if I am getting this right. UMS basically is like a certain number that they have capped it at for what people also like averagely get? I may just be confusing myself more but basically like I read in another section of this forum that apparently 37+/45 is 100%. Now that is confusing me even more, why have they done that like 82+% is full marks :s-smilie: ?
electriic_ink
68% (31/45) sounds like a reasonable A* boundary for GCSE Sciences.

What was that about qualifications not being dumbed-down?

Really? It wasn't for us.
lilangel890
Really? It wasn't for us.

It would have been if you sat your GCSEs in 2008.
electriic_ink
It would have been if you sat your GCSEs in 2008.

I did *nods* Like 40/45 for A*
I can't believe people are still confused about the stark difference between Raw-marks and UMS. :rolleyes:
lilangel890

No; 31/45.
Did they actually say that you got 40/45? Or were you given a figure? Like 93/100 etc.
lilangel890

http://www.aqa.org.uk/over/stat_pdf/AQA-GCSE-GDE-BOUND-JUN08.PDF

Look under Science (New Modules). 29/45 for an A* in PHY2H.
Reply 112
Ah thanks electriic_ink, I didn't know it was a new module so I just disregarded that section. Well I am VERY shocked. I mean they talked about dumbing down but now I see what they mean. 68% being A* really is outrageous.
kai4321
Ah thanks electriic_ink, I didn't know it was a new module so I just disregarded that section. Well I am VERY shocked. I mean they talked about dumbing down but now I see what they mean. 68% being A* really is outrageous.

No - not really - the paper was hard. I struggled on a few questions which means that the boundary is more than fair.
Reply 114
Well I did it for my mocks and although I did get 37 and so clearly got 8 marks off I thought only one that was hard was the nanocrystalline metals as we had never actually learnt about that or in very small detail if we did (i didn't revise for it and my book didn't even have anything about it).
kai4321
Well I did it for my mocks and although I did get 37 and so clearly got 8 marks off I thought only one that was hard was the nanocrystalline metals as we had never actually learnt about that or in very small detail if we did (i didn't revise for it and my book didn't even have anything about it).

Was this the January 2008 paper?
Reply 116
kai4321
Well we did mocks a few days ago and I got my results and I got 37/45 on C2 and apparently that's an A* but it's only 82%. Now I am just really confused because apparently someone in my class got 31/45 and he also got A* but that is only 68% which I doubt can be an A* in ANY subject.

I thought that A*= 90%, A=80% and so on...

The A* mark out of 45 is made equal to 90 UMS. The A mark out of 45 is made equal to 80 UMS. The actual percentage marks required are much less than the UMS.

The Additional Science grade boundaries are very, very low indeed.
Reply 117
lilangel890

40/45 would almost certainly have been 100 UMS.
Ramadulla
No; 31/45.
Did they actually say that you got 40/45? Or were you given a figure? Like 93/100 etc.

I did OCR for a start not AQA.

The actual marks were out of 42 (I swear I did more questions :P) But the grade boundaries for the main sections:

34/42
34/42

Which are both 80 odd percent. Not 70 or 60. Then only on the much harder one's they lowered them.

I think I know my marks people :rolleyes:
Reply 119
Yes, I did the January 2008 paper. Maybe it is hard so they have it low but 68% being an A* is low in my opinion.

Quick Reply

Latest