The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
no point comparing these two
I was thinking of studying Natural Science at Cambridge but after going to the Oxford open day and staying overnight at a college, I thought Oxford was amazing. I then couldn't be bother to go and visit Cambridge. Although, sometimes there's a thought in the back of my mind just suggesting the grass may be greener on the other side....
Reply 3
Well I applied to Oxford because there's nothing really like PPE at Cambridge, but I think the disparity in the number of applicants at your school is hardly universal, or else Oxford would certainly be considered far less competetive.
Reply 4
Oxford has better students.

Ahem.
Reply 5
I was wondering if one was better then the other tbh, because I got crappy grades, I never even thought about considering looking at either so I know nothing about them. But all the people in my year have applied to oxford over cambridge.
Reply 6
The applicant disparity is likely to be something to do with location. At my school it was 2:1 in favour of Cambridge, but you could get to Cambridge in an hour instead of four. If I remember correctly I've spoken to people from down south who said their ratio was reversed.

I applied to Oxford over Cambridge because there's no PPE at Cambridge.
Reply 7
It is? Oxford and Cambridge to me are as good.
I applied to Oxford because Cambridge didn't have Economics and Management.
Reply 8
Cambridge Natural Sciences sounded horrific when I already knew which science I wanted to do... Plus Oxford is bigger and has more of a fun reputation :smile:
Reply 9
ysbera
It is? Oxford and Cambridge to me are as good.
I applied to Oxford because Cambridge didn't have Economics and Management.

You can do Economics for the first two years then management in third year at Cambridge
Watch True Blue. Rather be a leper than a tab.
Reply 11
i applied to ox 'cos i went to school in cambridge and live a few miles outside of it. It'd just be like another load of school, i guess- i wanted to get away to someplace new.
Reply 12
Teebs
The applicant disparity is likely to be something to do with location. At my school it was 2:1 in favour of Cambridge, but you could get to Cambridge in an hour instead of four. If I remember correctly I've spoken to people from down south who said their ratio was reversed.

That may be true in some cases but I live 1 hour from Oxford and 3-ish hours from Cambridge, yet my school gets a roughly equal number of applicants to each.
33-29. Need I say more?
Mainly because Cambridge is too close, its only about 30-40 minutes away and also because Oxford did my course while Cambridge didn't.
~Ollie~
Well I applied to Oxford because there's nothing really like PPE at Cambridge, but I think the disparity in the number of applicants at your school is hardly universal, or else Oxford would certainly be considered far less competetive.

Ooooh please tell me what PPE is! Someone from Cambridge said they studied it on University Challenge and I was like huhhhh Personal Protective Equipment?!?!?! Hahahaaa
Reply 16
Politics, philosophy and economics = PPE
Reply 17
sTe\/o
Politics, philosophy and economics = PPE

Don't lie, that's cruel :shifty:
It's PE - physical education - but with added emphasis on the physical aspect of the course (hence the additional P).

Some find it strange that Oxford still run it given that there's no academic element whatsoever; it is primarily star jumps and keepie-uppie
I know a lot of people at Oxford whereas maybe one or two at Cambridge, plus Cambridge only offers straight 4-year Classics whereas at Oxford I could apply for Classical Archaeology and Ancient History which is closer to what I want to study.
DHthe2nd
33-29. Need I say more?

At last count, the scores were 59-53 Cambridge.

I suppose Oxford's primary advantage over Cambridge is the intellectual rigours of its MSc in Water Management. No doubt the supreme academic endeavour required for this course is what attracts so many international rowers.

That, and the efforts of the Oxford Rugby team to create an atmosphere of racial inclusivity in the University.

Latest

Trending

Trending