The Student Room Group

Maths and philosophy (GV15) - who else is doing this course?

hi,

trying to see if i can find any other people doing the same course as me, joint honours maths and philosophy (course code : GV15). if you are post up here what universities you have applied for and what offers you have had so far or acknowledgements or interviews and how they went.

:woo: Peace :woo:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
hey, yeah im doing maths and philosophy:

notts - AAA
leeds - ABB
manc - that interview thing on the 5th march
kings
bristol

im brickin it about the interview thing cus i just know i wud buckle under pressure. how was your interview?

also, is it a really undersubscribed course cos ive never heard of any1 else doing it :s-smilie:
Reply 2
im doing maths and philosophy, no offers yet though :frown: applied to leeds, manchester, york and lancaster.
Reply 3

hey, yeah im doing maths and philosophy:

notts - AAA
leeds - ABB
manc - that interview thing on the 5th march
kings
bristol

im brickin it about the interview thing cus i just know i wud buckle under pressure. how was your interview?

also, is it a really undersubscribed course cos ive never heard of any1 else doing it
manchester interview = easy peasy seriously not an issue mate. they ask you about ure statement for a bit. my person asked me a maths question about increasing and decreasing functions of a curve (cubic). some ppl might get asked other stuff like implicit differentiation such as y=x^x and prove that root 2 is irrational which might be worth going over before you go there as you may be able to impress them more.
keep me posted to how it goes.
Reply 4
i just got a rejection from bristol :frown:
didnt really want to go there, it was just a filler option, but im gutted i wont get a full house of offers!
Reply 5
I've applied to York, Bristol, Kings, Leeds and Notts and have heard nothing yet, but I only sent my UCAS on the 14th.

Out of interest, how many of you have done further maths?
Reply 6
Gimothy
I've applied to York, Bristol, Kings, Leeds and Notts and have heard nothing yet, but I only sent my UCAS on the 14th.

Out of interest, how many of you have done further maths?

wow that is very last minute! im not doing further maths and ive had all my offers now which im pleased about... good luck with the rest i think bristol kings and nottingham give three As as their offers, nottingham gave me Three As to contend with. :yep:
Reply 7
Led-Zeppelin
wow that is very last minute! im not doing further maths and ive had all my offers now which im pleased about... good luck with the rest i think bristol kings and nottingham give three As as their offers, nottingham gave me Three As to contend with. :yep:

I'm applying post A levels and have 3 As, so I'm expecting at least 1 offer! Though looking at some of the threads on here, it makes you wonder. Yeah it was a bit last minute, but I had been studying law until christmas, when I finally decided that it really wasn't what I wanted to to for 3 years.

Congratulations on your offers! What subjects are you studying?
Reply 8
Gimothy
I'm applying post A levels and have 3 As, so I'm expecting at least 1 offer! Though looking at some of the threads on hear, it makes you wonder. Yeah it was a bit last minute, but I had been studying law until christmas, when I finally decided that it really wasn't what I wanted to to for 3 years.

Congratulations on your offers! What subjects are you studying?

ah i see, congratulations on the three As very impressive, im studying maths physics and philosophy. what did you take when you were doing A levels?
Reply 9
i'm not doing further maths either.
i hear they pretty much cover it in the first 4 weeks of the course so its definately not a must.

im doing maths, geography and DT (having dropped economics)
and i got A, A, A, C (econ) for my AS.

anyone recommend any good books and stuff?
Reply 10
Led-Zeppelin
ah i see, congratulations on the three As very impressive, im studying maths physics and philosophy. what did you take when you were doing A levels?

They sound pretty ideal for the degree. I did maths, history and English lang + lit. I'm doing a FM AS level for august too though, depending on whether or not they make it part of my offer, I might not bother. How soon did leeds and notts get back to you?
Reply 11
Gimothy
They sound pretty ideal for the degree. I did maths, history and English lang + lit. I'm doing a FM AS level for august too though, depending on whether or not they make it part of my offer, I might not bother. How soon did leeds and notts get back to you?

notts got back to me straight away and leeds i only just got back the other day which was kinda weird as loads of ppl i know had offers from them straight away. i wish i wasnt doing physics, its becoming ridiculous at the moment with all this A2 stuff where im only just getting to grips with the AS stuff now with retakes an all. i started further maths and then thought i wouldnt need it so i didnt want to do the extra work but im kicking myself now as it would have been really useful for the course now. this was a kind of last minute descision as i was going to do engineering but i thought i need to enjoy a degree which im doing for three years and maths and philosophy seemed like something which would be great to do. are you on a gap year now?
Reply 12
Yay, my first offer. Leeds - unconditional. My least favourite but still good to know I have somewhere.
Got Offers from King's College London, Warwick and St. Andrews.
Which offer should i take assuming regardless of the offer i'll meet the requirements?
Reply 14
complete121
Got Offers from King's College London, Warwick and St. Andrews.
Which offer should i take assuming regardless of the offer i'll meet the requirements?

Personally, I'd take Warwick. I didn't apply there as I didn't think I was good enough. When did you get your King's offer? I'm still waiting on them. Congrats!
Reply 15
aggh i got an offer from kings which was my first choice, but they changed the course to just maths on its own. philosophy was just a little adventure for me, i dont have much knowledge on it, and essay writing is by no means my strong point but im stuck.
what do people think i should do??
Reply 16
Sorry, just saw this and thought I would pop in and say if anyone has any questions or owt, I'm on this exact course third year at Bristol. Nice to see people who are actually doing it, since it is a bit niche!
Reply 17
How about this year? Is there anyone applying for GV15? Well I am! :smile:
Also I'm curious to know, how's the course at the different unis?
Share your experience please! Thanks :smile:
Reply 18
Anyone applying for gv15 2012???? If so got any offers yet?
Reply 19
Where have u applied??

Quick Reply

Latest