The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Delta_Aitch
..:shock:
YOU TAKE THAT BACK!

Oops, hit a nerve. :colondollar:

The damn O.C use to annoy me so much as my sister was always watching it, I don't think he was in it long but still..
AP.
Oops, hit a nerve. :colondollar:

The damn O.C use to annoy me so much as my sister was always watching it, I don't think he was in it long but still..

Duuuude, in The OC he was awful ...but in Never Back Down. Ohhh baby :fan:
Reply 42
I have lived in south east london for most of my life - and I can say - it isn't that safe - it really depends. Their are a lot of guys if you just happen to walk by, they will create trouble.
Reply 43
Delta_Aitch
Duuuude, in The OC he was awful ...but in Never Back Down. Ohhh baby :fan:

6.2 on IMDB :thumbsdown:

:p:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1023111/
Slymee
South and definitely the South-East...

HELL NO!!!

Dude, that's ********. I probably wouldn't go to Peckham on my own, ever, night or day.

Or the 75 from Lewisham to Croydon, top deck, at night.

But apart from that, South/South East isn't bad at night. A lot of people will be more likely to harass you if you seem scared of being harassed. If you just keep your head up and look bored by yobs, they won't trouble you. :smile:

I clicked the link and I ...Jizzed. In. My. Pants.

:rofl:
Reply 46
Delta_Aitch
I clicked the link and I ...Jizzed. In. My. Pants.

:rofl:

7/10 or higher for me to jizz :yep:
Reply 47
Generally yes. As with everywhere, there are some areas that are less safe than others and it pays to be sensible and not be flashing your iPhone, iPod, laptop, gold jewellery, diamond ring, gold bars, banker's drafts etc if you're walking alone in a less busy area. Or be consulting your A-Z in a really obvious manor that says "I have no idea where I am or where I'm going".

You can generally sense which areas are safe and which are less safe though (I know that sounds strange, but you can). Sometimes you only have to go to a parallel street for the area to be much rougher. London's various neighbourhoods are very close to each other and rich and poor areas are literally back-to-back in many places. Even in quite central London, e.g. even in WC1 and N1, you can walk into some quite nasty estates if you go just slightly off the beaten track. But it's almost always really obvious that you should avoid them just by sight (and usually they won't actually be on your way to anywhere anyway).

I've never had a problem though (... touch wood) and I almost always walk home from nights out.
Reply 48
Mumintroll
Generally yes. As with everywhere, there are some areas that are less safe than others and it pays to be sensible and not be flashing your iPhone, iPod, laptop, gold jewellery, diamond ring, gold bars, banker's drafts etc if you're walking alone in a less busy area. Or be consulting your A-Z in a really obvious manor that says "I have no idea where I am or where I'm going".

You can generally sense which areas are safe and which are less safe though (I know that sounds strange, but you can). Sometimes you only have to go to a parallel street for the area to be much rougher. London's various neighbourhoods are very close to each other and rich and poor areas are literally back-to-back in many places. Even in quite central London, e.g. even in WC1 and N1, you can walk into some quite nasty estates if you go just slightly off the beaten track. But it's almost always really obvious that you should avoid them just by sight (and usually they won't actually be on your way to anywhere anyway).

I've never had a problem though (... touch wood) and I almost always walk home from nights out.

Night bus? Although a drunken stumble can be fun.
Reply 49
Here's a fun interactive tool:
http://www.met.police.uk/crimefigures/

You can use the drop down menu to choose your favourite type of crime, and then hover the mouse over boroughs to find out how much of it they each have. Or, put a post code in the bottom to see all the crime figures for an individual area within a burough. Fantastic! :yep:

Who says central London is safest? It's full of rich tourists, the figures of total crime for Westminster are double Lewisham's.

Not that I particularly care too much about the figures, a lot of the violent crime is between gang members/people who get involved with them. Not all, but a lot of it.
Reply 50
AP.
Night bus? Although a drunken stumble can be fun.

Well, I live too centrally generally to bother with a night bus (or even a day bus for that matter). By the time I've drunkenly found the right bus stop and waited for the right bus to come, I could have eaten a kebab and nearly stumbled home :wink: Although, this year I think I am prob going to have to get used to night bus journeys more regularly as some of my friends' places are beyond a walk away.
Reply 51
Mumintroll
Well, I live too centrally generally to bother with a night bus (or even a day bus for that matter). By the time I've drunkenly found the right bus stop and waited for the right bus to come, I could have eaten a kebab and nearly stumbled home :wink: Although, this year I think I am prob going to have to get used to night bus journeys more regularly as some of my friends' places are beyond a walk away.

Ah fair enough, in fact when I stay at friends' hall in central we walk as well.
Reply 52
depends on where you live really. nothing has happened to me YET. but that is because people in the area know me. if you enter into a red zone in east or north london then good luck:smile:)
RedRevolver
Dude, that's ********. I probably wouldn't go to Peckham on my own, ever, night or day.

But apart from that, South/South East isn't bad at night. A lot of people will be more likely to harass you if you seem scared of being harassed. If you just keep your head up and look bored by yobs, they won't trouble you. :smile:

this. If someone starts on you just smile confidently and say "alright mate, chill out" (or something similarly streetwise sounding) and walk away. Basically, try to act like youre use to it and youre not scared. Even if really you have just done a little wee in your pants.

I've had a few dodgy characters trying to start fights with me but theyve never done more than took a swing at me and then walked off when they realised i wasnt interested. Most people you'll come across are just bored or trying to show off in front of their friends rather than genuinely looking to mug someone.
HistoryFred
in central london (leicester square) you should be alright if you keep to yourself. youll probably get a few weird guys asking you if you want some pills but thats it..

im from north west london, completely fine

I've only ever been asked if I wanted drugs in the street in one place tbh (Soho). It's hardly a regular occurrence.

OP; it's fine, ffs, it's London - not Baghdad.
Bubbles*de*Milo
OP; it's fine, ffs, it's London - not Baghdad.

This. :yep:

You should be fine, if you have any common sense and possibly even without it.
Reply 56
RedRevolver

OP this :yep:
Even though i live in bromley i still go to lewisham/catford/peckham no big deal i haven't been stabbed. :rolleyes:
ma2k5
I have lived in south east london for most of my life - and I can say - it isn't that safe - it really depends. Their are a lot of guys if you just happen to walk by, they will create trouble.

Whereabouts? I wouldn't really say that.
Hoda--x
OP this :yep:
Even though i live in bromley i still go to lewisham/catford/peckham no big deal i haven't been stabbed. :rolleyes:

You mayyy not want to say, but what school do you go to? :smile:
Reply 59
RedRevolver
Whereabouts? I wouldn't really say that.

Near Peckham, although places like Elephant&Castle are not very nice places to be either.

Latest

Trending

Trending