The Student Room Group

Skins

Scroll to see replies

Cyclone33
True Blood is aired on cable (subscribed paid channels). I don't have cable so I don't get to see uncensored shows like True Blood, which by the way is one of my favorite shows. I'm sure there are other American uncensored shows. Is Skins shown on free tv? Free-tv here doesn't portray actual sex.

It is seen as naughty because of just sex itself. The most we get out of a "sex scene" on free tv is two people making out intensively and taking their shirts off. Guys topless, girls with their bra and underwear on. We know where that leads to, right? :yes: Then it's cut to a scene when they go "hey, last night was awesome." or "we had sex";something that implies sex. Examples of that implication are Gossip Girl, One Tree Hill, Vampire Diaries, etc. Alot of free-tv show basically sensuality and that's it. In addition, profanity on free-TV has changed over the years. They are allowed to say d/ick, b/itch. If it's close to the f-word then the Federal something-that-controls-tv gets complaints. It's ridonkulous.

I don't like the idea of MTV creating the US version of Skins. Remaking anything is actually not good. Cough *movies* . Writers are running out of ideas so they gotta remodel an action figure toy into a movie like Transformers.

Btw, I encountered these:

Thank you for that answer, very enlightening :yep:. Yes, Skins is actually shown on Free TV here, it's late at night though at 10pm. That ad with Katie punching the girl is so funny, can't wait for her episode. :smile:
I liked the last episode, two good ones in a row now. Next week looks good too.
One thing i don't like is the cook freddie relationship. I mean, who on earth forgives someone for having sex with his mum!?!? AND stealing is gf!! Soo unrealistic.
Reply 202
PeterGriffin
I liked the last episode, two good ones in a row now. Next week looks good too.
One thing i don't like is the cook freddie relationship. I mean, who on earth forgives someone for having sex with his mum!?!? AND stealing is gf!! Soo unrealistic.

It was just a BJ actually :P
I quite liked last night's episode!
hmmm i found it quite boring tbh.

Next weeks actually looks pretty decent although freddie is boring as!! Good that cook is out of prison though :smile:
I loved Katie's ep, my fave of the season so far I think. I've always been an Emily fan, but Katie's definitely grown on me too. 'I'm Katie ******* Fitch, who the **** are you!' love it lol.
Katie's episode was great! Sad about her premature menopause (I'd never heard of that before), it's kinda ironic that Katie is the twin who is straight, but she can't have children, yet Emily is the lesbian and won't be having children with men (well, as far as we know anyway). But yeah, the ending was lovely when the Fitch family all got back together.

Freddie's episode looks good, I wonder what the bad incident is that happens? By the way, a spoiler I found out about Effy:

Spoiler

hmm i found the katie episode quite boring tbh (but i think coz shes one of my least favourite characters)

im not an effy fan either and freddie may be hot but hes as dry as ever :pierre:

Cooks episode was still the best imo
Reply 208
How **** was that, next week looks even worse.
Reply 209
awful. completely wasted an hour of my life there.
I quite enjoyed the episode, although I wouldn't expect everyone to. I'd say it would be easy to judge it simply on the merits of any tv programme- for example, I can't say it really did much for the plot, and many might not find Freddie nor Effy particularly engaging characters. However, it did serve to highlight an issue that needs to be raised, and I thought did so very effectively. There were definite points in the programme that correlated with issues i've seen in the lives of those around me. However, I think especially with a programme such as Skins' viewership, many people simply want to watch the TV and switch off for an hour, rather than think through the issues raised, which i'm by no means condemning.
Ahh I haven't seen the new episode yet - but I love skins. Is there a soc on here for it? I went on it but it hasnt been touched since 2008!

I'm Sian by the way :smile:
Reply 212
amiparanoid
I quite enjoyed the episode, although I wouldn't expect everyone to. I'd say it would be easy to judge it simply on the merits of any tv programme- for example, I can't say it really did much for the plot, and many might not find Freddie nor Effy particularly engaging characters. However, it did serve to highlight an issue that needs to be raised, and I thought did so very effectively. There were definite points in the programme that correlated with issues i've seen in the lives of those around me. However, I think especially with a programme such as Skins' viewership, many people simply want to watch the TV and switch off for an hour, rather than think through the issues raised, which i'm by no means condemning.

I thought it was rather shoddily written, the issues may be important, but the flaw is that there was absolutely no indication they would arise in the previous episodes, all of a sudden in 45 minutes a character has gone from one extreme to the other rather than being a somewhat gradual and noticeable process. This I found to be particularly ridiculous and rather silly to be honest, when you see these issues in the lives of those around you I very much doubt they arose in a week and I imagine it was a much more gradual process

Skins ****** up tonight and handled this issue rather stupidly in my opinion, with the only possible foreshadowing being the excessive drug taking

Oh and Freddie is a complete cipher, what a dull character, he just sounded like a bit of a **** whenever he was around his dad and thats the overriding impression of him from this season
Awful acting yesterday, Effy was bearable, but Freddie... No words. Katie's ep was brilliant, and I wasn't a fan before, so was Cook's. We've got the good episodes in the beginning. I think I'll just pass JJ's episode, because he's the worst actor ever ever ever :s-smilie:
a_t
I thought it was rather shoddily written, the issues may be important, but the flaw is that there was absolutely no indication they would arise in the previous episodes, all of a sudden in 45 minutes a character has gone from one extreme to the other rather than being a somewhat gradual and noticeable process. This I found to be particularly ridiculous and rather silly to be honest, when you see these issues in the lives of those around you I very much doubt they arose in a week and I imagine it was a much more gradual process

Skins ****** up tonight and handled this issue rather stupidly in my opinion, with the only possible foreshadowing being the excessive drug taking

Oh and Freddie is a complete cipher, what a dull character, he just sounded like a bit of a **** whenever he was around his dad and thats the overriding impression of him from this season

I disagree with you on most of that. I thought this was a good episode, and the mental issues didn't just come out of nowhere; there's have been signs of Effy's breakdown all through the four series from the very beginning of the show. I've always thought she was a really odd character, and though it could have been just her personality, but evidently now we know there is a serious underlying problem. A few examples: Series One, she never spoke throughout, until she witnessed Tony being hit by the car and she screamed his name. This event that happened to him must have shaken her up quite a bit. Also, not just that, she was only 14 and always sneaking off on school nights getting up to no good with drugs and boys, and then there was that incident where she went missing and overdosed and Tony and Sid had to search and save her. And then she used to have her strange obsession with fire. I could go on and on, you must have noticed these things if you've been watching from the beginning? But if you haven't then OK I forgive for not knowing. But yeah, that's just my two cents.
Reply 215
CherryCherryBoomBoom
I disagree with you on most of that. I thought this was a good episode, and the mental issues didn't just come out of nowhere; there's have been signs of Effy's breakdown all through the four series from the very beginning of the show. I've always thought she was a really odd character, and though it could have been just her personality, but evidently now we know there is a serious underlying problem. A few examples: Series One, she never spoke throughout, until she witnessed Tony being hit by the car and she screamed his name. This event that happened to him must have shaken her up quite a bit. Also, not just that, she was only 14 and always sneaking off on school nights getting up to no good with drugs and boys, and then there was that incident where she went missing and overdosed and Tony and Sid had to search and save her. And then she used to have her strange obsession with fire. I could go on and on, you must have noticed these things if you've been watching from the beginning? But if you haven't then OK I forgive for not knowing. But yeah, that's just my two cents.

Yeah, really subtle signs, nothing of note, example, last episode, her and freddie happy as ever in Naomi's garden without a care in the world, then from one week she goes from that to trying to kill herself, and all the stuff form the first two seasons, she was essentially a background character, you're not seriously telling me you think the skins writers planned to do this 4 years ago, with them getting different writers for every episode?

She's always been a bit odd, there has been no indication she was depressed, or suicidal at all. She was always just a bit wild with few inhibitions, your classic bad girl with little real depth. There's a distinction between people like that, and people who want to kill themselves, not everyone with a few quirks has depression etc, if they wanted to do it properly they should have shown a gradual decline over the last 4 episodes, rather than lumping it all into one

Oh and another thing, how annoying is Panda? Argh I hate her, if there is a death this season I hope its her, getting shot, in her fat chav face
Reply 216
This weeks episode was terrible! I find Effy dull and confusing. She and Freddie were absolutely fine in the previous weeks and then she goes and tried to kill herself in this weeks episode? It all happened very suddenly.

I only put up with Freddie because he's gorgeous. He was a bit of a wet cloth this week but I did think it was very sweet when he washed Effy and got her dressed. (I've been secretly hoping Freddie would split with Effy but I don't think that's going to happen after her suicide attempt).

(Team JJ:woo: )
a_t
Yeah, really subtle signs, nothing of note, example, last episode, her and freddie happy as ever in Naomi's garden without a care in the world, then from one week she goes from that to trying to kill herself, and all the stuff form the first two seasons, she was essentially a background character, you're not seriously telling me you think the skins writers planned to do this 4 years ago, with them getting different writers for every episode?

She's always been a bit odd, there has been no indication she was depressed, or suicidal at all. She was always just a bit wild with few inhibitions, your classic bad girl with little real depth. There's a distinction between people like that, and people who want to kill themselves, not everyone with a few quirks has depression etc, if they wanted to do it properly they should have shown a gradual decline over the last 4 episodes, rather than lumping it all into one

Oh and another thing, how annoying is Panda? Argh I hate her, if there is a death this season I hope its her, getting shot, in her fat chav face

Yeah, you have some fine points there. I'm no psychologist, but the things I have read about some types of depression, is that they really can be up and down like that; one minute you're fine, the next you're confused about life and wanting to top yourself. Sure the writers might not have planned this serious breakdown of hers so long ago, but since she does have a past of odd behaviour, I guess that's the direction they wanted to go in for an interesting storyline this season. Despite being happily in love with Freddie, it's still possible for her to fall ill, anyone can suffer from mental illness. And I guess that last episode was when she just happened to reach breaking point, and the drugs didn't help either. Anyway, that's what I think about it, we all have our different ways of analysing things and I do respect your opinion. :yep:

Lol at what you wrote about Panda, yeah she is a bit annoying, sweet but weird and annoying. I really don't want anyone to die though, I'd hate that :no:
As much as previous series have hinted that Effy is somewhat detached and wild, there was nothing really to suggest that she was suffering from psychotic depression. If this storyline had been played out since the start of the series, it could have been excellent but sadly it really wasn't. It was full of incidental pieces which resulted in a garbled plot, with a bizarre carnival, a completely unnecessary bicycle crash and resultant fallout from that, and finally a completely mistimed appearance from Will Young. Oh, and of course a realistic comeback from Cook. It would have been far better to have documented her slowly, spiraling decline into attempted suicide rather than spring it on the viewer like a jack-in-the-box. And again, we see characters acting like complete *****. Shame. Personally, the only character I find bearable is Naomi, well, and possibly JJ in some respects.
Reply 219
Effy is still annoying. Sucks she's got depression but I still don't like her.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending