The Student Room Group

Reapplication Rejection - Pre-Interview

I am a reapplicant and recently got rejected from Hull York, which was one of my choices I applied to last year also. I got through to interview stage last year (barely) and didnt perform well at all (really bad nerves and no preparation whatsoever).

I applied this year with my A-levels achieved meeting their requirements, my UKCAT has gone up slightly (but still in the same scoring band for HYMS) and my personal statement and ref are better than last year, seeing as I have more work experience and an extra year of commitment.

I know that last year they interviewed the top 600, this year only 550. But do they take into account that if you have applied once before and perform badly at interview, will they not bother to interview you a second time? (no matter if your UKCAT and PS/ref have improved) Also, do they expect gap years to have improved somewhat and so make it slightly harder for them to get in?

I made this a thread rather than posting it on an existing one because I think it will help reapplicants decide whether they, like me, should reapply to a school they desperately want to go to. :tongue:
Original post by Eddie91
I am a reapplicant and recently got rejected from Hull York, which was one of my choices I applied to last year also. I got through to interview stage last year (barely) and didnt perform well at all (really bad nerves and no preparation whatsoever).

I applied this year with my A-levels achieved meeting their requirements, my UKCAT has gone up slightly (but still in the same scoring band for HYMS) and my personal statement and ref are better than last year, seeing as I have more work experience and an extra year of commitment.

I know that last year they interviewed the top 600, this year only 550. But do they take into account that if you have applied once before and perform badly at interview, will they not bother to interview you a second time? (no matter if your UKCAT and PS/ref have improved) Also, do they expect gap years to have improved somewhat and so make it slightly harder for them to get in?

I made this a thread rather than posting it on an existing one because I think it will help reapplicants decide whether they, like me, should reapply to a school they desperately want to go to. :tongue:

I think if i am correct, at least at Keele, they say that if you get through to the interview stage and are rejected then they recommend you don't re-apply again. Perhaps this is the case at HYMS?
Reply 2
Original post by Sparko13
I think if i am correct, at least at Keele, they say that if you get through to the interview stage and are rejected then they recommend you don't re-apply again. Perhaps this is the case at HYMS?

This. Check through their website to confirm this.
Reply 3
Hull York

If you apply to us and you're unsuccessful first time around, we will accept a second application from you in a subsequent year. We consider re-applications on an individual basis, and we may use information from your first application when we assess the second.

I guess they mean only borderline applicants. They don't say anything about interviews though.

Keele

If you were unsuccessful at interview we would not encourage you to re-apply the following year. However, those applicants who did not reach the interview threshold may submit a further application. We would suggest that those re-applying review their personal statement beforehand.

It is not our policy to re-interview applicants who have been unsuccessful at interview the previous year. However, students who were offered a place but did not achieve the required grades are welcome to reapply as resit candidates.
Perhaps then you were just unlucky this year around. Well not so much as unlucky as your application is obviously stronger this time around. It must therefore be that other applicants to HYMS were stronger than you. But as one door shuts another always opens. Good luck for the rest of your application.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending