The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
Sorry please don't buy off them they are awful; I have just bought network stuff off them they only sent half of the stuff and said they would send the rest. They failed to do so; and when I phoned again they said they will send them etc etc. until today when they said RMA them and send back the half the items I have received. They are awful another problem is their value RAM is awful so many imperfections I have sent over 2GB back.

Awful service; I would never buy off them again!

I once bought a bundle off them I received the wrong Proccesor the proccesor was generic. Oh and may I ask how long you plan to have the computer you are building, and its purpose?
Reply 61
Guide to buying with eBuyer.

1) Buy with next day delivery.
2) Buy quality products - not cheap eBuyer generic tat
3) Pray.
Reply 62
Mad Vlad
Guide to buying with eBuyer.

1) Buy with next day delivery.
2) Buy quality products - not cheap eBuyer generic tat
3) Pray.
Pray more for logistics. :p: e.g. citi-link :mad:
Reply 63
I haven't read this whole thread, but I have a question. Is it true that Sony Vaio laptops are brilliant to use but when something goes wrong and you need to replace a part (motherboard etc) they charge you hundred and I'm talking £500 or so? So is it worth purchasing one? They look great and I *really* want one...
Reply 64
Xanthe
I haven't read this whole thread, but I have a question. Is it true that Sony Vaio laptops are brilliant to use but when something goes wrong and you need to replace a part (motherboard etc) they charge you hundred and I'm talking £500 or so? So is it worth purchasing one? They look great and I *really* want one...

Personally I find Fujitsu-Siemens laptops to be the best value but as I dont actually own one I cant comment on the after-sales service.
Reply 65
Xanthe
No they will fix it under warranty, or charge you labour and the price of the hardware like any othert company would. :smile: i have a sony vaio, its a brill laptop and brand to go for. :smile:
Reply 66
Flukey
No they will fix it under warranty, or charge you labour and the price of the hardware like any othert company would. :smile: i have a sony vaio, its a brill laptop and brand to go for. :smile:

Cheers Flukey. I better go and get one then (I currently have a Packard Belle and I hate it). :smile:
Reply 67
Xanthe
Cheers Flukey. I better go and get one then (I currently have a Packard Bell and I hate it). :smile:

No suprises there then.
Reply 68
Karl Marx
Sorry please don't buy off them they are awful; I have just bought network stuff off them they only sent half of the stuff and said they would send the rest. They failed to do so; and when I phoned again they said they will send them etc etc. until today when they said RMA them and send back the half the items I have received. They are awful another problem is their value RAM is awful so many imperfections I have sent over 2GB back.

Awful service; I would never buy off them again!

I once bought a bundle off them I received the wrong Proccesor the proccesor was generic. Oh and may I ask how long you plan to have the computer you are building, and its purpose?
Just because you have had a bad experience doesn't mean you can sum them up as awful and tell people not to buy from them. I have fantastic customer service from them, recommend anyone to buy off them. :smile:

Also why buy such cheap ram if it such an essential part of the computer. I mean its like buying a tesco value ram stick :rolleyes: Go with crucial ra or Viking if you want quality.
http://www.pcmech.com/byopc/

Some of it is a bit text heavy but still good non the less
Reply 70
networkingNut
http://www.pcmech.com/byopc/

Some of it is a bit text heavy but still good non the less
Though somewhat outdated. :wink:
Reply 71
ExtremeTech

All you need to help plan building a PC!!! Oh yeah!! Also I have on my site (link on my sig) a nice spec for my new computer, though what is actually listed is a bit old.
Reply 72
Im thinking about upgrading my processor but im a little swamped by all the different types. I want something fo medium gamimg. Thanks
Socket 939 AMD is probably your best bet, something in the region 3200+ to 3500+ is plenty if youre not a 'hardcore' gamer.

Although, if you dont have a PCIe graphics card, the right power supply, motherboard etc then it means a whole new PC built. What do you have at the moment?
Reply 74
well i have an agp graphics card atm. i'll need to change the motherboard because its socket A and my PSU is 350W
Reply 75
Madmanjock
Fine then you don't want / need a mac, but many people do. While the mini isn't spectacular spec wise, it still gives as much speed as the average user would want, thanks for the Mac OS being much more efficecent than Windows.

Just yesterday I opened up a 180 mb Powerpoint presentation on a 1.3 Ghz Celeron M Laptop, it took about 5 - 10 minutes. I opened the same document on my 1.6 Ghz G5, it took about 25 seconds (reading from a USB stick, the Celeron has the file on Hard Disk). Both had the same amount of Ram.

Buts it mac - enough said :rolleyes:
Reply 76
suneilr
Im thinking about upgrading my processor but im a little swamped by all the different types. I want something fo medium gamimg. Thanks

See my post above!!! the bang for the buck PC would be perfect if you do other things than just gaming e.g. encoding video, ripping music for iPod listening.
Reply 77
Hey guys,
I have the chance of buying the followin computer :

P4 3.2Ghz
120GB SATA HDD
1024MB DDR RAM
6800 GeForce 256MB PCI-E
48x CD-RW Drive
16x DVD-Rom Drive
XP Pro

For about £700-£750

Is it worth it?
Is it worth getting the 6800 or going for one of the X800 range? Is the intel pentium more expensive and worse than AMD?
I'm gettin this comp primarily for gaming.......

Cheers guys, any feedback would be appreciated.
Reply 78
Is the intel pentium more expensive and worse than AMD?

Yes and Yes

The computer is overpriced, but put an Athlon64 in it and it would be great for gaming
asb_1

Is it worth getting the 6800 or going for one of the X800 range?

Is the intel pentium more expensive and worse than AMD?

For the video, a plain X800 = a 6600GT; X800GTO2 = 6800 ish. So its really down to personal preference, but generally its nVidia for fance lighting effects youre not going to notice in todays games, or ATi for slightly more raw rendering power.

Pentiums are more expensive, and have a poorer design than the AMD64's, unless youre doing Video Editing or 3D rendering (but then the advantages are because the programs are optimised for them, not that theyre actually any better)
Since youre wanting it for gaming, then do for an AMD64. Something in the 3500+ area will be ample.