The Student Room Group

Starting Uni at 19/20

Hey guys, due to certain circumstances, I have dropped out of college and will be enrolling again in September, meaning doing my AS year and then A2, meaning I'll be 19, almost 20, when my Uni term starts. Is this too late? I'm worried I'll feel left out due to age differences :confused:
Reply 1
You're right I don't see how a 19 year old could ever relate to an 18 year old. They'll have had such totally different life experiences.

Don't be so silly.
Reply 2
Original post by Zuki
Hey guys, due to certain circumstances, I have dropped out of college and will be enrolling again in September, meaning doing my AS year and then A2, meaning I'll be 19, almost 20, when my Uni term starts. Is this too late? I'm worried I'll feel left out due to age differences :confused:

Not at all, loads of guys on my course are a year older then me......was kinda surprised,but didnt see the difference....no ones gonna treat you any different just might be surprised, they thought i was older than them ¬¬
Reply 3
Hahahahaha.

This is a joke, right?
I'm scared of this happening if i go next year....i'll be 24 when i start, so a few years older than you....
apparently they don't really care about age most of the time, if you have stuff in common then you do, reguardless of age.
Reply 5
Original post by meow444
Hahahahaha.

This is a joke, right?

srs
Reply 6
Well, I kinda get how you feel.. but at the same time I don't. Don't worry, it'll be perfectly fine. I'm going to be going to uni at the same time too, and with my sandwhich course - I'll be done when I'm 23. >_>
Reply 7
Loads of people start Uni at 19/20.

Gap years?
Reply 8
I guess I'm just being stupid. Thanks guys!
Reply 9
Everyone calm down. There are people of all kinds of ages at uni. Loads of the people I know took gap years. I took two years out before uni. There was a 50 year old guy in one of my classes.

If this is actually concerning you then you need to get some serious perspective on life. Perhaps another year out and a visit to Afria/India?
I'm 20 and I'm starting in october. There are also people who go to University at a much, much older age. There are no problems.
At my sister's uni, one of her best friends is 30 something.
Reply 11
Naa buddy, you will be fine. Age means nothing at university.
If I had of done A-Level's and went straight to Uni, I wouldn't have been able to start at 18, because of when my birthday falls, I would've been 19. I did a year course then a BTEC National Diploma so I started a year later at 20.
I know a girl on my course whose got kids and is fine and you're worrying about a 1 year gap. If anything most people that I know we're 19 when they started
Original post by Zuki

I started University at 23; was much more of a Gap, but it depends on your personality. Spend time getting to know your class and the answer in short is No your far from too late.

For the record we approach life at a variety of different angles so there is no 'Right' path or 'Expected' way, you have to kind of flow with where your heart takes you. Hence why it doesn't matter what age you are sometimes you will need a break and other times your crack-on!

Interestingly, if your applying to Uni. at 21 and they classify you as a mature student and 'Independent' you might be entitled to slightly better finance options. You could then always work for a few years prior to the Uni. And this would ease some of the stress of university.
Reply 15
I'm at Uni currently but will be starting again as a fresher when I'm 20 (reapplying next year). I'm quite looking forward to it, and there's no way there should be any difference between now and then - everyone's going to be an adult anyway. One of my friends is in that position now and there's no problem. So it will be fine :smile:

Quick Reply