The Student Room Group

How to write a letter reneging on accepted offer

I received an offer a few months back from a big Investment bank and I signed the contract. Since then I have received an offer for a job that I feel matches what I want to do more than the offer from before. I have decided to renege on the previous offer and will be calling them tomorrow to tell them I am reneging and why.

I also plan to follow up with an email after the call. I was wondering what the best way to phrase that I will be reneging due to a better offer elsewhere is without being too vague or too up front about it. I don't want to make it seem like the previous offer was **** (it wasn't) or give away too much about where I will be working.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Reply 1
Could say you decided the financial industry wasn't for you and are going to join the army instead.
Reply 2
Original post by renege13
I received an offer a few months back from a big Investment bank and I signed the contract. Since then I have received an offer for a job that I feel matches what I want to do more than the offer from before. I have decided to renege on the previous offer and will be calling them tomorrow to tell them I am reneging and why.

I also plan to follow up with an email after the call. I was wondering what the best way to phrase that I will be reneging due to a better offer elsewhere is without being too vague or too up front about it. I don't want to make it seem like the previous offer was **** (it wasn't) or give away too much about where I will be working.

To be honest if you're not going to join them, they probably wont care. The HR team may be interested but really that will just be for research purposes.

It's a bigger deal for you, than it is for them. This happens all the time.
Reply 3

just say your situation has changed and you won't be able to accept the offer anymore
Reply 4

Tell them you are still joining, but as you have recently changed your name to 'M1011' you would like this reflected on the contract :u:
Why are you reneging when it seems you want the other offer anyway? Either turn it down or accept, don't play games with them. HR will entertain you, but the people actually making decisions won't care.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending