The Student Room Group

cant decide which med school to go to :s!

Hi am in yr 13 and have got conditional offers from hull york medical school and lancaster medical school. Have revisited both unis and weighed up pros and cons but still cant decide. hyms is further up league table and lancaster isnt on as run through liverpool which below hyms, although most people say that this doesnt matter as much for medicine. The courses are very similar with both been pbl, early patient contact, year group numbers ect. Also really like college system but they dont have this at hull and allocation to hull and york campus is random. Anyway was wondering if anyone had any advice or information that could help...:s-smilie:! thanx.
I think Lancaster is the better choice. You can be sure you'll end there, and you know you like it, but with HYMS you could end up hull which you're not too keen on. :smile:
Original post by rachris16
Hi am in yr 13 and have got conditional offers from hull york medical school and lancaster medical school. Have revisited both unis and weighed up pros and cons but still cant decide. hyms is further up league table and lancaster isnt on as run through liverpool which below hyms, although most people say that this doesnt matter as much for medicine. The courses are very similar with both been pbl, early patient contact, year group numbers ect. Also really like college system but they dont have this at hull and allocation to hull and york campus is random. Anyway was wondering if anyone had any advice or information that could help...:s-smilie:! thanx.

If the best con you can come up with for Lancaster is that it's below HYMS in the medicine league tables then that says something. Those league tables really aren't worth the paper they're written on.

Answer these 3 questions for me:
1. Which campus did you prefer: Lancaster, York or Hull? (rank them)
2. Which open day did you enjoy more?
3. Which is your favourite city of the 3?

You must have some kind of impulse as to where you'd be happier. The only clue you've given us is that you like the collegiate system, there must be something more than that.
Reply 3
Thats part of my problem, when i rank them its york, closely followed by lancaster and then hull. But at hyms dont get to chose campus, is purley random. Hyms also has a much larger placement area, but more main hospitals so would get to see a wider range of cases but may be less hands on. Lancaster on the other hand i may get more hands on experience but not see as varied cases.
Well if you really don't mind going to either off those, pick a name out of a hat :smile:
If there's not much difference between York and Lancaster for you, but you dislike the idea of Hull, then pick Lancaster.

The two worries you've had about it (league tables and lack of variety) are minor worries. The important thing in hospitals is that you see the common things and learn the basics, seeing neurosurgery shouldn't really be high on your agenda. Plus you can always get involved with things like that in your SSCs.
Original post by hoonosewot
If there's not much difference between York and Lancaster for you, but you dislike the idea of Hull, then pick Lancaster.

The two worries you've had about it (league tables and lack of variety) are minor worries. The important thing in hospitals is that you see the common things and learn the basics, seeing neurosurgery shouldn't really be high on your agenda. Plus you can always get involved with things like that in your SSCs.

I agree! Good advice here. :smile:
Reply 7
Original post by rachris16

I was in a similar situation a day ago when I had to pick between HYMS and Liverpool. I ended up picking HYMS because I thought the way the course was structured and layed out suited me a lot more than Liverpool. From visiting both places I also thought the students in HYMS seemed a lot more relaxed and I felt the atmosphere was a lot more welcoming (I only visited each place twice so I'm sure other people would of got differing impressions). I love the whole collegiate system as well but I honestly wouldn't mind living in the row of houses in Hull of just medical students (you would have the best house parties). In the end both are great medical schools so even if you're unsure which one to pick just keep in mind you will still get to the same place at the end of the 5 years. Just go with your gut feeling.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 8
Original post by Gabbymarchy
I was in a similar situation a day ago when I had to pick between HYMS and Liverpool. I ended up picking HYMS because I thought the way the course was structured and layed out suited me a lot more than Liverpool. From visiting both places I also thought the students in HYMS seemed a lot more relaxed and I felt the atmosphere was a lot more welcoming (I only visited each place twice so I'm sure other people would of got differing impressions). I love the whole collegiate system as well but I honestly wouldn't mind living in the row of houses in Hull of just medical students (you would have the best house parties). In the end both are great medical schools so even if you're unsure which one to pick just keep in mind you will still get to the same place at the end of the 5 years. Just go with your gut feeling.

hi sorry to bother you but was just wondering what particular things about hyms course appealled to you more than liverpools?
Well done for getting those offers! If you're having a dilemma, this is probably the best sort to have :tongue:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending