The Student Room Group
Student in the Laboratory, Lancaster University
Lancaster University
Lancaster
Visit website

Lancaster University TSR Open Week (July 2nd - 13th)

Fred, Rebecca and Sarah from Lancaster University’s student recruitment team will be answering your questions about studying at Lancaster live on The Student Room between Monday 2nd and Friday 6th July 2012.

Simply post your questions within this chat thread and a member of the team will respond to you during the open week.

We look forward to answering your questions about Lancaster!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Hello, I'm currently a year12 student at Sixth Form College looking to study at university in September 2013, I was wondering if it would be possible if I could possibly apply for a combined Drama and History course and what the entry requirements would be?

Thanks, Sean.
Student in the Laboratory, Lancaster University
Lancaster University
Lancaster
Visit website
Reply 2
Hello.
I'm a Scottish student looking to apply for 2013 entry. Your website says that the entry requirements for Scottish Highers and Advanced Highers for your physics courses is Higher AAABB/AAAAB, AH Maths and Physics passes. What does this mean for a typical conditional offer based on Advanced Highers? Would it be likely to be AA, AB, BB ect?
Thanks for your time, Lauren.
Original post by guardian
Hello, I'm currently a year12 student at Sixth Form College looking to study at university in September 2013, I was wondering if it would be possible if I could possibly apply for a combined Drama and History course and what the entry requirements would be?

Thanks, Sean.

Hi Sean,

Thanks for being the first person to join our thread and for your interest in Lancaster! Your enquiry is a tricky one as we have plenty of great courses in our History and Theatre Studies departments but we don't offer a specific combined programme. However in the first year at Lancaster you might be able to study Theatre Studies and take some History courses as your Part 1 minor. The entry requirments for Theatre are ABB plus audition/interview and History is AAA (no interview). You can find out more about both courses at:

http://www.lancs.ac.uk/study/undergraduate/courses/theatre-studies-ba-hons-w440/

http://www.lancs.ac.uk/study/undergraduate/courses/history-ba-hons-v100/

All the best,

Fred
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by ..lauren
Hello.
I'm a Scottish student looking to apply for 2013 entry. Your website says that the entry requirements for Scottish Highers and Advanced Highers for your physics courses is Higher AAABB/AAAAB, AH Maths and Physics passes. What does this mean for a typical conditional offer based on Advanced Highers? Would it be likely to be AA, AB, BB ect?
Thanks for your time, Lauren.

Hi Lauren,

Thanks for your enquiry about Scottish Highers and our Physics courses. Because of the academic rigour of our Physics courses, to get an offer from us you'd need to have AAABB/AAAAB and AA in Maths and Physics at Advanced Higher too.

Hope that makes sense and good luck with the application!

All the best,

Fred
I was wondering what the minimum requirements were to enter straight into the second year? There used to be a part of your website that said a certain amount of Open University credits would be allowed, but I cant find it anymore. I want to study maths as a mature student.
Original post by morecambebay
I was wondering what the minimum requirements were to enter straight into the second year? There used to be a part of your website that said a certain amount of Open University credits would be allowed, but I cant find it anymore. I want to study maths as a mature student.

Hi morecambebay,

Thanks for your enquiry. You certainly might be able to study maths at Lancaster as a mature student with your OU credits. If you want to apply for 2013 entry you'll need to get in touch with our Undergraduate Admissions Office directly for some more advice so give them a call on 01524 592028 or complete the online contact form.

Best wishes,

Fred

Tel:+44 (0)1524 592028 (Monday to Friday, 9am to 5pm UK time)
Hey,

I am hoping to apply for Biological Sciences. However there are two courses, one with a year abroad which requires AAB and another without the year abroad ABB. A friend told me that if I apply for the course which includes the year abroad, and don't recieve an offer for that I will automatically be considered for the latter.

Could you confirm please?
Reply 8
Original post by Lancaster University
Hi Lauren,

Thanks for your enquiry about Scottish Highers and our Physics courses. Because of the academic rigour of our Physics courses, to get an offer from us you'd need to have AAABB/AAAAB and AA in Maths and Physics at Advanced Higher too.

Hope that makes sense and good luck with the application!

All the best,

Fred

Perfect sense! Thank you very much :smile:
Original post by I have a question
Hey,

I am hoping to apply for Biological Sciences. However there are two courses, one with a year abroad which requires AAB and another without the year abroad ABB. A friend told me that if I apply for the course which includes the year abroad, and don't recieve an offer for that I will automatically be considered for the latter.

Could you confirm please?

Hi I have a question...!

You're right we do have two courses but we don't always automatically offer students another course if they are unsuccessful for a study abroad programme! It is up to the discretion of the Admissions Tutor and depends on how strong your application is. If you are worried about the grades you can apply for the ‘straight’ Biology degree and then apply to study abroad in your first year of study instead (subject to availability of places and your first year grades).

All the best,
Fred
Original post by Lancaster University
Hi I have a question...!

You're right we do have two courses but we don't always automatically offer students another course if they are unsuccessful for a study abroad programme! It is up to the discretion of the Admissions Tutor and depends on how strong your application is. If you are worried about the grades you can apply for the ‘straight’ Biology degree and then apply to study abroad in your first year of study instead (subject to availability of places and your first year grades).

All the best,
Fred

Ah, alright - thanks.
Do you really need a foreign language at GCSE for your Linguistics course? If required, at what grade?
Hi Id and Ego seek,

Thanks for your interest in Linguistics. Yes we normally require students to have Maths and a foreign language at GCSE for all degrees involving Linguistics however we don't specify a specific grade so don't worry too much. To get an offer, it's much more important to have AAA/AAB at A2 level, or equivalent, including English Language, or English Language and Literature, or a foreign or classical language.

All the best,

Fred
Hi,

I was wondering, if I'm doing three languages but one ab initio, how long do I carry the ab initio on for? Is it one or two years, and can I pick it up as a full degree (it's Italian if that changes anything)

Original post by jerseymackem
Hi,

I was wondering, if I'm doing three languages but one ab initio, how long do I carry the ab initio on for? Is it one or two years, and can I pick it up as a full degree (it's Italian if that changes anything)

Hi jerseymackem,

Good question and great to hear you'd like to do three languages! The short answer is yes you can do three languages for the duration of your degree eg, French, Spanish and Italian ab initio. The course you need to apply for is our broad Modern Languages programme which you can find out about here:

http://www.lancs.ac.uk/study/undergraduate/courses/modern-languages-ba-hons-r800/

Hope that helps!

All the best,

Fred
Reply 15
Hi i am (fingers crossed) doing medicine next year at lancaster and have a choice of 2 colleges, furness and grizedale and was wondering if you could tell me a bit more about them and which you'd recommend? :smile:
Original post by rachris16
Hi i am (fingers crossed) doing medicine next year at lancaster and have a choice of 2 colleges, furness and grizedale and was wondering if you could tell me a bit more about them and which you'd recommend? :smile:

Hi rachris16,

If I've read your message correctly, well done on getting a conditional offer for Medicine and hope the exams have gone well!

I'm not sure if I can recommend one to you - it's a tough one! Both Furness and Grizedale are great colleges and have some super award winning accommodation. Also Furness is currently undergoing a big refurb ready for the start of the October term which will include a new bar and social space for students - hurrah! Plus both colleges have a good social scene. I'd have a look at the college websites for more info and maybe check out their facebook pages:

http://www.lancs.ac.uk/colleges/grizedale/

http://furnesscollege.wordpress.com/welcome/

All the best,

Fred
Reply 17
Would it be risky applying for the townhouse accomodation at both county and grizedale for my 1st and 2nd choices? I have a firmed conditional offer for my first year so am i guarenteed one of them or not? Cheers :smile:
Hi!

I have a firmed conditional offer (praying I get the grades!) and have just applied for accommodation. I was just wondering what the chances are of getting one of your two choices, and in particular what happens if you don't. So for example I have applied to Grizedale and Furness, both Superior Ensuite. If I don't get in to either, will I be put in another college but in my chosen room type, or my chosen college but a different room type?

Hope that makes sense :s-smilie: Thanks.
Hi 3DDY,

Thank you for your enquiry, this is good question and one that I am sure many applications will be intrigued to know the answer to.

Grizedale and County are our most popular college choices for new students arriving this year. This is probably due to the award winning townhouse accommodation that you have alluded to in your question.
All the accommodation at Lancaster is of very high standard and has been rebuilt or redeveloped over the last 10 years, so even if you don't get allocated Townhouse style accommodation you will have a fantastic experience. Below is a link to our main accommodation page on the website if you want to look at the other options.

http://www.lancs.ac.uk/study/accommodation/undergraduate-accommodation/

To directly answer your question though, I don't think it is risky applying for both colleges as this will maximise your chances of getting this style of accommodation. However we cannot guarantee accommodation or college choices, but from our experience students will get their first or second choice of college and we will always try and match your accommodation preferences with what is available.

Best,

James

Quick Reply