The Student Room Group

can you drink alcohol with beta blockers?

??

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
i wouldn't drink on any drugs, it reduces their effect.
It made me go off the ****ing radar, so you know.
Reply 3
I'm pretty sure you're not meant to mix alcohol and beta-blockers. I think it's to do with one raising blood pressure and one lowering it, it mucks you up not sure about the consequences though.

I'll find the information source in a second.
Reply 4
never was a problem for me. i do seem to remember pretty heavy hangovers though..
Reply 5
Drinking alcohol whilst on beta-blockers is a ****ing terrible mistake, trust me, but then, red bull is worse/fun, was for me.
if in any doubt, I wouldn't advise it.
Well, my mum was put on them for alky-related tachycardia problems, with her doctor fully aware that she'd be drinking most if not every night to some extent, so I'm guessing it's not gan kill you.
Reply 8
it is all relative to the strength though.
Reply 9
zanejamal
I'm pretty sure you're not meant to mix alcohol and beta-blockers. I think it's to do with one raising blood pressure and one lowering it

You're in the right region - the problem is that both alcohol and beta-blockers lower blood pressure. Hence, the big risk is falling over when drinking and getting hurt/looking like a tool. (PS. Cool sig :biggrin: )

OP - Just go easy on the drink, really. Mixing the two won't make you die on the spot, but it will make the alcohol more potent, some effects more than others - but everyone's different. The ideal would be not to drink, but if you're going to, then it's a case of getting to know your limits. I wouldn't recommend pushing it when you're out - if you get hurt or pass-out, you're stuffed. Have some mates around, limit yourself to one can, see if you're okay. If after a couple of hours you are, have another. Again, if you're okay then you've shown you'd be okay having a couple of drinks on a night out. Anything more than that, I wouldn't advise - not just because I'm a boring sod who doesn't drink and realises that would be a 'binge' (ooh, nanny state!), but because you'd start to enter 'falling over and looking like a tool' territory. Anyhow, don't think of it as a bad thing - if it means you can get sufficiently merry off just two pints, think how much money you're saving :wink:.
Reply 10
Drinking and medication are generally not a good mix.
Reply 11
Titch89

Well yes, but some meds worse than others. I checked the BNF and this mix isn't so bad - low blood pressure. Hence, just be careful and take it easy.

Other stuff - you're damned right. I'm on a combination of meds which between them if I mixed them with alcohol would make me a) pass out, b) stop breathing, and c) vomit; so yes, there is certainly a case for being cautious!
Reply 12
Titch89

unfortunatly some of us have to rely on medication to have a normal life!!

i used to take beta blockers on meds but they were for anxiety purposes. i know friends on higher doses that drink too
I drink alot and I am on a beta-blocker. My BP is healthy. I have maybe 5-8 beers in a night. No problems, no hangover, ever.
Reply 14
I asked my doctor about this and he said that the official advise is "may make more susceptible to the effects of alcohol". He just said be careful. As it happens, I'm now a much cheaper night out =]
Original post by Sophie JH
I asked my doctor about this and he said that the official advise is "may make more susceptible to the effects of alcohol". He just said be careful. As it happens, I'm now a much cheaper night out =]

Well done for bumping a thread from 2008.
Original post by Anonymous
I have maybe 5-8 beers in a night. No problems, no hangover, ever.

You seem like a special case (and also an alcoholic)

In any case, prescribed medicine and alcohol shouldn't mix. It's like mixing alcohol and antibiotics, it's a no go.
Original post by Dispergers
Drinking alcohol whilst on beta-blockers is a ****ing terrible mistake, trust me, but then, red bull is worse/fun, was for me.
. Red bull is not good for you any how they trying to make it that you be 19 in order to buy it here. And I have a few drinks on my bata blockers I take 25 mg in the morning and 12 hours later I take another 25 mg I am not sure what affect it has on me but knock on wood there are times it makes me feel better
I drunk on beta blockers and I passed out after a few drinks don't know whether that was due to the beta blockers or purely that im a lightweight
I personally don't think its worth the risk for a few drinks but maybe that's just me

Quick Reply