The Student Room Group

Letter that came with provisional card - really needed for theory test?

I have my provisional licence, but i got it ages ago and i don't have the letter that came with it. The website says that i have to bring the original letter with me in order for me to take my theory test, but since i can't find mine = problem for me.

I've tried ringing the DSA but they are impossible to get through! Has anyone had any experience with this before, can i ring up and plead and order a new letter or any other routes i can take? My theory test is booked for the 1st of sept....

thanks all!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Yeah, when I went to the test centre there were signs everywhere saying you needed both your provisional and the paperwork that came with it.

Have you looked everywhere?
Reply 2
If you're referring to the paper counterpart, it's just as important as the card. Without it you do NOT have a provisional licence. You aren't even legally allowed to drive with an instructor, let alone take a test.
it's not a "letter", its a counter-part license and I'm 99.9% sure they'd want to see both that and your card. I had to show both documents when taking my theory test. Your best bet is to ring them and ask, but be prepared to pay for a replacement.

good luck :smile:
Reply 4
argh i'm gonna ring them again.

i normally keep everything in a safe folder, but that one is missing for some stupid reason.

i'm gonna have another look tonight!

any idea of the options i have if i can't find it?
Reply 5
veni, vidi, vici
it's not a "letter", its a counter-part license and I'm 99.9% sure they'd want to see both that and your card. I had to show both documents when taking my theory test. Your best bet is to ring them and ask, but be prepared to pay for a replacement.

good luck :smile:

i hope that's the case, i don't mind paying for the replacement, i honestly don't know where the hell it's disappeared!
its a green bit of paper if that helps
Reply 7
Callipygian
its a green bit of paper if that helps

thanks for the headsup, i think it's truly disappeared, all my "important letters" - i.e. the letter that came with my NI card etc etc are all in one folder and this one isn't there... and i'm pretty sure i put it there.

results day tomorrow = no sleep for me = all night searching?
Reply 8
you'll need to apply for a replacement, which (when i last checked) was £19. & also hope that it comes through in time for your test! but i think you could postpone your test & change the date for a further away one, as long as you do it at least 3 working days before the test you have booked. i'd check that out on the DSA website to make sure thats definitely the case though - i know you can do it with practicals, so don't see why it shouldn't be the same for theory tests, but check & make sure!
Reply 9
Malinski
Sorry to repeat this, but you definitely need it! That's more important than the provisional licence! Anyways if you don't find it, you can order a replacement online or call DVLA and ask for another one, but you'll have to pay! I really hope you find it! Good luck searching!

so i can just order a replacement for the paper counterpart only?
Reply 10
Malinski
Here's the web address for the replacement, im sure you'll find the details on this page. Personally i thought you could just replace the paper counterpart, but just read over to make sure! Hope this helps!
http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Motoring/DriverLicensing/NeedANewOrUpdatedLicence/DG_4022085

Just read on the webpage, and yeah you can just order a replacement for the paper couterpart!

Unless i'm reading it wrong, i'm a photocard licence holder and therefore i can replace it online and it'll cost £17.50?
Does this mean i'll get a new photocard and a new paper counterpart? It takes 15 days to come and i wanna order it asap just in case it doesn't come in time for my theory....
http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Diol1/MotoringDecisionTrees/DuplicateLicences/replacement_driving_licence.dsb?DPF0=0-0-&DPF1=0&vgsubmit=%C2%A0+Next%C2%A0+
FHNFredrick
Unless i'm reading it wrong, i'm a photocard licence holder and therefore i can replace it online and it'll cost £17.50?
Does this mean i'll get a new photocard and a new paper counterpart? It takes 15 days to come and i wanna order it asap just in case it doesn't come in time for my theory....
http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Diol1/MotoringDecisionTrees/DuplicateLicences/replacement_driving_licence.dsb?DPF0=0-0-&DPF1=0&vgsubmit=%C2%A0+Next%C2%A0+

Presumably you'll get a card and a counterpart. Without both, it's not a licence.
Reply 12
i forgot mine, they just made me sign a form saying it had nothing on it. was a few years ago tho.
Reply 13
generalebriety
Presumably you'll get a card and a counterpart. Without both, it's not a licence.

true, so i'm assuming they have my photo on record in order to issue me a new one?
Reply 14
Malinski
To be honest, im not that sure. Sorry! Maybe its best if you call them up, and ask them, it will clear things up.
Oh and boxface, they don't do that anymore. They won't let you take the test unless you have both part of the licence, otherwise you lose your money too!

i did the little interactive test thing and my results showed that i could use the online form to recieve a new one.
If i get a new provision i guess that's fine, as long as i can use my one in the mean time for I.D.
thanks for you help!!!

ringing the DSA = nightmare. I tried all day and the silly recording woman told me, "they were experience high traffic and please use the online service" then hung up.

frustration for the nation -.-
Reply 15
i know it is really annoying, i lost my test fee becuase i lost the 'letter', that was £48.50 down the drain
Reply 16
XAlonso
i know it is really annoying, i lost my test fee becuase i lost the 'letter', that was £48.50 down the drain

ouch.
silly letter.
i'm guessng that fee was for your practical?
Reply 17
FHNFredrick
ouch.
silly letter.
i'm guessng that fee was for your practical?

yes, and the new one i had to book is now £56.50 on 1st sep.
I've been in the same situation, but i found out my Dad had it! :p:

Before i realised this i went on the DSA website, and reordered the form. You need to re-apply for you're counterpart basically. And this isn't free. You have to opt on the form for a repleacement.
There is also a booklet that comes with the form too.

Go here http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Motoring/DriverLicensing/NeedANewOrUpdatedLicence/DG_4022085

Anyway hope you find it, if not you will need to get a replacement. Otherwise you're liscence is not vaild.

:smile:
Reply 19
Malinski
Well i hope you find your paper counterpart. And good luck for your theory test! And sorry about the bad advice, i've never called DSA so i wouldn't know! :o:

your advice really help so thanks a lot!
thanks for the good luck too!!
:]

Quick Reply

Latest