The Student Room Group
St Salvators Quad, University of St Andrews
University of St Andrews

2014 Frequently Asked Questions (read this first)!

Scroll to see replies

We seem to keep getting the question can I transfer from X degree to Y degree a lot at the moment. I'd say the answer is generally yes so long as you meet the prerequisites for the course you want to transfer to, and in order to transfer if you are:

a) a prospective student you should email the admissions tutor for the course that you have applied to already and tell them what you want to change to and why, then they will get back to you with a definitive answer. Although if it is a radical change (e.g. from English to Maths) you'd either better have a damn good reason for changing or wait until you get here at which point it will be easier to swap.
b) a current student you should email your advisor and ask them if you can have a chat with them about it.
St Salvators Quad, University of St Andrews
University of St Andrews
Oh, and the perennial "Can I specify which hall I want to be in?" to which the answer is officially no, but you can ask nicely and hope for the best.
This thread is really nice and helpful :yes:
Thanks steevo. St Andrews forum just got better with this thread.
Reply 24
Nice thread. I got one Q. Shall i bring my actualy whole PC or buy a new laptop? How many people bring PC's? I'm guessing most of them Bring laptops because they are from abroad.
Oh and I have a question, v small!
I know people say that St A's love doing things by email, but will I receive some sort of offer pack through the post soon? I got my offer on Sat :tongue:
Thanks for the suggestions but I dont think either are common enough questions to take up space on what is already a long thread, so Ill just answer them here (with reasons why I wont include them)
Oxy
Nice thread. I got one Q. Shall i bring my actualy whole PC or buy a new laptop? How many people bring PC's? I'm guessing most of them Bring laptops because they are from abroad.

Most people bring laptops anyway (the reason why its not such a common question!), laptops are slowly but surely taking over from PCs (just look around computer shops and you will see what I mean!) you can bring your PC but very few do simply because either most people have laptops anyway or most people cannot be bothered to bring a whole PC potentially miles to St Andrews.
Just a reminder there are 24 hour PC room in every hall as well as a few dotted around town so any form of computer is not essential but it does make like easier!
Alexandra1234567
Oh and I have a question, v small!
I know people say that St A's love doing things by email, but will I receive some sort of offer pack through the post soon? I got my offer on Sat :tongue:

You have an offer, stop worrying! you have loads of time to fill out the paperwork (believe me, agonisingly long come to mind!) so concentrate on making sure you get the grades to meet the offer, after the length of time youve waited for the offer the time it takes to send the welcome pack will seem quick! (most people get the pack before they start to worry about where is it)
Haha very true...I'm a bit of a pen pusher though, I love filling out forms and planning and such :s-smilie: oooh dear.
Reply 28
I would just note that I don't think what you said about tescos being strict on alcohol is true, I have never been ID'd there for anything. Also most pubs don't give a **** either :wink:. So all you 17 year old first years needn't worry.
Reply 29
Lachlan
I would just note that I don't think what you said about tescos being strict on alcohol is true, I have never been ID'd there for anything. Also most pubs don't give a **** either :wink:. So all you 17 year old first years needn't worry.

I've found they've been more harsh on that lately at Tesco. I've probably been asked for ID 3 of the past 5 times I've bought booze there and I'm 22. I've got friends who weren't able to purchase it because they didn't have ID other than their student IDs (and they're 23-25, it's not like they look young).
Lachlan

If Tesco suspects you of being under 18 they're very harsh on id - i.e. they won't accept matric cards and they'll make sure everyone you're with has id and if they don't, they won't sell it to you.
Reply 31
Since when has this happened? In the past its been a case of you look like you could be 18, we will just give you the benefit of the doubt.
Quite a few times when I've been in in the past year. That's bad practice just letting people who look like they could be 18 buy alcohol, considering if they get caught it's not them but you (meaning you the cashier not just Tesco in general) that gets fined.

A little bit of useful information from The Saint, re. number of applicants per place: last year there were <3000 students admitted, and this was an unusually high number. Last year there were >11,000 applications. This year so far there have been 12,216 applications, and they're reducing the number of offers (or making them harder to acheive anyway) due to all the problems they had last year.
Reply 33
Lachlan
Since when has this happened? In the past its been a case of you look like you could be 18, we will just give you the benefit of the doubt.

I've only noticed it since about the end of exams, so the last month and a half or so.
Reply 34
Lachlan

I'm usually ID'd in tesco, more often am than not... am nearly 19, and don't think i look rly young!
most of the pubs don't ID, except MacKays I've found.
Reply 35
Oxy

I would suggest getting a laptop, it's a lot more convenient, can take it to lectures if you want, or to the library to study, and if you're going home during the breaks or at weekends, it's easy to taake back with you! Plus takes up a lot less room. And even, I've quite often had informal study sessions with friends just in the corridor or in someone elses room, so it's convenient to be able to just pick up your laptop. And some of the coffee shops have free wireless internet, it's popular for people to go study there or write essays etc. It's nice to get a change of scene!
The biggest thing tho wud be the transport, if you're looking at taking it home over the holidays (usually have essays etc to do), it would be a very good idea to get a laptop, but if you're happy with your desktop, and don't think you'll really want to move it round, save the money! :wink:
*bump* Because people evidently aren't looking at this enough.

Can I also request this stuff:

- If you have a problem with your course or accommodation, then contact the university - e.g. if you're considering a course change, or haven't had any contact about accommodation. We can sit and conjecture about what they might say, but it's no substitute for communicating with them directly, and it's important to sort this kind of problem out quickly, rather than worrying online.
There are contact details on the right hand side of the admissions home page, and you should be able to contact specific departments by looking at their pages. Look for 'contact us'.

- Don't get crabbit when no-one answers your thread about, say, 4th year molecular biology modules - and don't post the question in every thread you can see. There are only so many regulars in this forum, mostly undergraduates. I do my best at answering questions, but I only have insight to Maths and some Physics modules, and I'll try to hold fire on a topic that someone else might be more useful with.
Check this out if you want to look at the modules on offer. You can search by subject and module level, so should be able to find what's relevant to you.

- Use the search function. Yes, it's been broken, but it works again now. There is a 'Search This Forum' option which may be useful.

- Don't expect us to have loads of wacky facts and figues. Here are the ones on the uni's site.

I also said I was going to link the Ultimate Accommodation Thread. If people have any issues with it, post a message and I'll try to fix/update it.
Reply 37
ImperceptibleNinja

- If you have a problem with your course or accommodation, then contact the university - e.g. if you're considering a course change, or haven't had any contact about accommodation. We can sit and conjecture about what they might say, but it's no substitute for communicating with them directly, and it's important to sort this kind of problem out quickly, rather than worrying online.
There are contact details on the right hand side of the admissions home page, and you should be able to contact specific departments by looking at their pages. Look for 'contact us'.

- Don't get crabbit when no-one answers your thread about, say, 4th year molecular biology modules - and don't post the question in every thread you can see. There are only so many regulars in this forum, mostly undergraduates. I do my best at answering questions, but I only have insight to Maths and some Physics modules, and I'll try to hold fire on a topic that someone else might be more useful with.
Check this out if you want to look at the modules on offer. You can search by subject and module level, so should be able to find what's relevant to you.

- Use the search function. Yes, it's been broken, but it works again now. There is a 'Search This Forum' option which may be useful.

- Don't expect us to have loads of wacky facts and figues. Here are the ones on the uni's site.

I also said I was going to link the Ultimate Accommodation Thread. If people have any issues with it, post a message and I'll try to fix/update it.

haha Crabbit, great scottish lingo :tongue:
ImperceptibleNinja

Link to modules search = BRILLIANT.
Thanks for that :grin:
It's got all the info on there that I've trawled the bulk of the main website for!
Alexandra1234567
Link to modules search = BRILLIANT.
Thanks for that :grin:
It's got all the info on there that I've trawled the bulk of the main website for!

Do you think it would help to construct something either in here or on the wiki containing links to stuff like that? Like, a mini-index of the site?

I'm pretty familiar with the St A's site now, but I do appreciate it's hard to navigate that kind of thing when you're considering 4-5 different unis.

Edit: Here are some other possibly-useful things:
Undergraduate admissions home page
Subjects available
Guide to residences (undergraduate)
residence fees
Semester dates
Map of the town, with buildings labelled
Sport-sport-sport-sport-sport
List of subjects

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending