The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Why wouldnt you want to be seen helping someone a lot less fortunate who is trying to help themselves?
Reply 2
burninginme
I've never seen anyone actually buy a copy from a vendor in the street, obviously, people must buy them, but it doesn't seem to be very common. Do most Big Issue sellers meet their sales quota every day?

I've never had the slightest bit of interest in the Big Issue, it's always striked me as a magazine that would be full of self-pity, probably depressing, and also, I wouldn't really want to be seen buying one in the street.

I give them two pound, they offer me one, and then i tell them to keep it. I've heard they get their money back for the magazines they don't sell.
Reply 3
I read them. Not the best magazine, but not the worst.
Reply 4
OP is a bit of a knob, really.
Reply 5
Why don't you buy one and see what it is like?
Reply 6
'' Hallo big issue pleaz''

no.
Reply 7
bigissuebigissuebigissuebigissuebigissuebigissuebigissuebigissuebigissuebigissuebigissuebigissuebigissuebigissuebigissuebigissuebigissuebigissuebigissuebigissuebigissuebigissuebigissue
God bless ya
Sometimes I buy it, if I'm in a generous mood.
Lauren__x
'' Hallo big issue pleaz''

no.

Where do you live!?

Nowhere near me anyway, but that's exactly what the woman at my local town centre says.

I bought one once, but she's been there for around two years now and call me what you want, but I have no sympathy left for her - I just find her annoying. I'd rather pay a busker, even if his/her music isn't great.

She's not as bad as those smarmy, smiling charity hecklers though (some of whom are PAID to heckle).
I've bought quite a few, great articles for english a level, certain style, current topic.
its good, why dont you buy one and see for youself and are you too prejudice?
you seem to speak of these people in a disgusted tone, why? i feel awful that theyre in that situation, we should be helping them!
Reply 11
at least they're not trying to sell you weed
My Mum buys it every now and again, although I don't think I've ever seen her actually read it.

I prefer Big Issue sellers to charity workers. Especially the ones who come knocking on your front door asking for a monthly donation via direct debit. (Yes, I had one the other day. Grr) When I give to charity I don't want to be guilt tripped into it!
Some of the articles and interviews they do are really good. I remember reading an interview they did with Bjork a couple of years ago, it was really well written.
Reply 14
edited - thanks acalia.
Reply 15
I read it a few times years ago. I remember finding it boring.
Reply 16
doberman.xxx
Where do you live!?

Nowhere near me anyway, but that's exactly what the woman at my local town centre says.

I bought one once, but she's been there for around two years now and call me what you want, but I have no sympathy left for her - I just find her annoying. I'd rather pay a busker, even if his/her music isn't great.

She's not as bad as those smarmy, smiling charity hecklers though (some of whom are PAID to heckle).

I live in a little town near london, but every town Ive been to they say that haha. They all wear the same clothes aswell...its strange.
Ive never brought one, never thought about it really, even though I see her every single day, plus I never have any spare money anywaysss.

When the charity people come up to me I just say im only 17=/ and then they just go ''oh all right, have a nice day'' and walk away. Yeahhh your not getting monthly money out of me.
Reply 17
I read it.

I did this massive project about the Big Issue a while back and have a great deal of respect for the foundation now. I can't always buy one but i try to at least once a fortnight.

I find it an enjoyable magazine, lots of info. Better than Take a Break or whatever it is that people seem to like reading (how can you read that tripe?!)

Just want to say though the point of them selling the mag and not begging is so you can BUY off them, and they become salesmen and have a job - please don't just give them money and not take a magazine as it can be seen as quite offensive - they are providing a service and trying to get back into society and get some respect. Would you give money to a regular salesman as charity without taking his product?
The woman in Bangor always says "Big Issue thankyoupliz". I've never bought one before but when I go to uni up there I might do, because I always feel sorry for them especially when people are quite mean in saying "no"... all you have to do is say "no thank you", not have a go at them :sad:
Original post by yomomalomo
I have always wondered, why do homeless people not sign on for JSA?

(I'm quite sure I know the answer but I have always wondered if there are other reasons I've never come across.)

I think you need an address