The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
xxaimeexx
Thanks for the pos rep!!:biggrin: :biggrin:

No problem, I took your advice and applied for prefect at my school , and applied for work experience in a range of pharmacies though I wasn't successfull, I got a place in a health clinic which dispenses herbal medicine which is just as relevent. :smile:
Loz17
1st question, why are you choosing to do pharmacy?

Do you have any experience?

I have a weeks experience working in a pharmacy and can quickly gain more of the same....My interest in pharmacy started from that experience, I found it varied, interesting and to me it seemed the thing I would be most comfortable doing, if not medicine
infernalcradle
I have a weeks experience working in a pharmacy and can quickly gain more of the same....My interest in pharmacy started from that experience, I found it varied, interesting and to me it seemed the thing I would be most comfortable doing, if not medicine

Ahh thats good then. I can't urge work experience enough

What sort of grades are you going for, if it all went wrong?

And what are you looking for in the uni, prestige? Course structure? Student experience?

With pharmacy it doesn't matter too much where you graduate from, you are pretty much guarenteed a career at the end of your pre reg. All pharmacists need to study the same content no matter where you are.

So its wherever you will feel happy
Loz17
Ahh thats good then. I can't urge work experience enough

What sort of grades are you going for, if it all went wrong?

And what are you looking for in the uni, prestige? Course structure? Student experience?

With pharmacy it doesn't matter too much where you graduate from, you are pretty much guarenteed a career at the end of your pre reg. All pharmacists need to study the same content no matter where you are.

So its wherever you will feel happy

Thats the main bit that I was worried about...my "nicest" med school gives offers of AAB, but I want pharmacy to be a backup if all goes wrong, but don't really know anything at all about the pharmacy courses or what the unis are like for pharmacy, so I will probbably be looking at AAB/ABB unis....but which are....good....
infernalcradle
Thats the main bit that I was worried about...my "nicest" med school gives offers of AAB, but I want pharmacy to be a backup if all goes wrong, but don't really know anything at all about the pharmacy courses or what the unis are like for pharmacy, so I will probbably be looking at AAB/ABB unis....but which are....good....

Urm....

I think Cardiff offer ABB sometimes, I'm unsure about nottingham, Kings will be AAB as its deemed one of the best for pharmacy.

I'm better at the BBB unis coz my grades aren't that good at all. Readings got good facilities, Brighton seems nice if your looking for back-ups
Loz17
Urm....

I think Cardiff offer ABB sometimes, I'm unsure about nottingham, Kings will be AAB as its deemed one of the best for pharmacy.

I'm better at the BBB unis coz my grades aren't that good at all. Readings got good facilities, Brighton seems nice if your looking for back-ups

Thanks a lot for the advice, I think I will probbably apply to a ABB uni as the pharmacy is backup, but I don't really want to leave home and from what I hear, they seem to be nicer than med school if you miss your grades......
infernalcradle
Thanks a lot for the advice, I think I will probbably apply to a ABB uni as the pharmacy is backup, but I don't really want to leave home and from what I hear, they seem to be nicer than med school if you miss your grades......

Yea thats ok :smile:

Yea some can be nicer, others are strict but so long as they think you can cope with the work, they will usually let you in
Reply 27
Does anyone have any information on transferring university?
I'm not 100% sure about the uni i am at, so do the uni's still want the a-level grades or is it based on the university exam results? Are there any uni's that don't allow transfers etc?
Thanks!!
Hi,

I really want to apply for Pharmacy 2010!

My predicted grades are:

A/A/B/B/B

Both Bs in Biology and Chemistry though..

I did Maths in AS but dropped it ... because of a D :eek: So I'm retaking that...

Do I have good chances of getting offers? or do I need some back ups? like Pharmaceutical Science?

By the way I'm thinking of applying to :

UEA, Aston, DMF and Portsmouth.

I was looking at UCLanc which looks good, so does Keele :rolleyes:

Any suggestions because I keep changing my mind and it looks like the time is getting nearer !!

Thanks
algérie_mon_amour
Hi,

I really want to apply for Pharmacy 2010!

My predicted grades are:

A/A/B/B/B

Both Bs in Biology and Chemistry though..

I did Maths in AS but dropped it ... because of a D :eek: So I'm retaking that...

Do I have good chances of getting offers? or do I need some back ups? like Pharmaceutical Science?

By the way I'm thinking of applying to :

UEA, Aston, DMF and Portsmouth.

I was looking at UCLanc which looks good, so does Keele :rolleyes:

Any suggestions because I keep changing my mind and it looks like the time is getting nearer !!

Thanks

You have a better application than me last year, I applied to DMU, Cardiff, Reading, Portsmouth and Wolves. I got offers and interviews from all but Cardiff, with Predicted grades of ACC (C in chemistry) so you will be fine

Why not apply to the 4 you are sure of and add another choicer through track later on?
Loz17
You have a better application than me last year, I applied to DMU, Cardiff, Reading, Portsmouth and Wolves. I got offers and interviews from all but Cardiff, with Predicted grades of ACC (C in chemistry) so you will be fine

Why not apply to the 4 you are sure of and add another choicer through track later on?

Oh Thanks that's reassuring ! :p: I thought I'll have to ask my Chemistry teacher if she could push the grade to an A!

OUT OF CURIOSITY :biggrin: Are you doing Pharmacy at the moment? :smile:

Thanks.
algérie_mon_amour
Oh Thanks that's reassuring ! :p: I thought I'll have to ask my Chemistry teacher if she could push the grade to an A!

OUT OF CURIOSITY :biggrin: Are you doing Pharmacy at the moment? :smile:

Thanks.

Not at the moment

One of my a leels went abysmally and I need to push the remaining ones up by a little bit. So fingers crossed I will be next year.
Reply 32
anyone got any info on reading
cousto
anyone got any info on reading

What d'ya wanna know?
Reply 34
application process they ask for 320 ucas points so being predicted AAB (lowered my psy grade 2 B) would i have a good chance of getting in and would i need to send a pharmacy PS as i sent a medicine one first.
Any idea when interviews start

same Q's go for nottingham
Reading:

Yes you will have a good chance with grades like that. I got an offer after interview with ACC predictions from Reading. You could maybe intergate some pharmacy into your PS if you haven't sent it already (but I'm assuming you have as its for medicine....)

You could rewrite one and send it to the uni itself if you want but I don;t see a problem if you just use your medicine PS. Also, have you ever had any experience in Pharmacy?

Interviews will start Nov/Dec I think if its sent already.
Reply 36
Loz17
Reading:

Yes you will have a good chance with grades like that. I got an offer after interview with ACC predictions from Reading. You could maybe intergate some pharmacy into your PS if you haven't sent it already (but I'm assuming you have as its for medicine....)

You could rewrite one and send it to the uni itself if you want but I don;t see a problem if you just use your medicine PS. Also, have you ever had any experience in Pharmacy?

Interviews will start Nov/Dec I think if its sent already.

thanks
was trying to get experience from sept last yr to jan this yr (pharmacy was my 1st option then) no where would take me but i talked to the pharmacy dept at nottingham on the open day they said it doesnt really matter as they know its hard to gt
cousto
thanks
was trying to get experience from sept last yr to jan this yr (pharmacy was my 1st option then) no where would take me but i talked to the pharmacy dept at nottingham on the open day they said it doesnt really matter as they know its hard to gt

Yea thats fair enough.

Its just i do recommend it even if it is for one day, just to get a first hand insight on what the job entails.

I understand if it is difficult to get experience, especially in more rural areas I'd expect. I tink I was just lucky and knew the right people.

I think considering your Grades, Nottingham is likely to accept you for an interview and offer if all goes well, so the decision is yours.
Reply 38
Loz17
Yea thats fair enough.

Its just i do recommend it even if it is for one day, just to get a first hand insight on what the job entails.

I understand if it is difficult to get experience, especially in more rural areas I'd expect. I tink I was just lucky and knew the right people.

I think considering your Grades, Nottingham is likely to accept you for an interview and offer if all goes well, so the decision is yours.

thanks really like nottingham lol i used think if i get a med offer i'll decline for notingham
wasn't able to go to reading for their open day how would you rate the campus?
cousto
thanks really like nottingham lol i used think if i get a med offer i'll decline for notingham
wasn't able to go to reading for their open day how would you rate the campus?

I'd say the campus is nice, peaceful. Has a woodland area with a lake (although I didn't see this) farms etc

Not seen library or halls yet, but apart from that I think it looks good.

Pharmacy building has just been updated and the course has just been accredited. Facilities for Pharmacy are now very good with the new microbiology labs, good pharmacy practise rooms etc.

Also close to the Town centre with buses running through the campus.

Latest

Trending

Trending