The Student Room Group

Most difficult type of Engineering?

I wanted to know which type of engineering is the hardest to get a degree and job in, I know civil engineers get the most money but does that mean their job is the hardest also?

Plus Aeornautical/Mechanical/Civil which is the most interesting.

Scroll to see replies

Civil engineers don't get the most money :s-smilie:
Chemical engineers have the highest salary on average (statistically speaking), but I think Aerospace engineering is the most difficult, the most interesting and the coolest field of engineering :cool:
You can actually truthfully say you're doing rocket science, it doesn't get much cooler than that :cool: I wanted to do it before, but then I turned to the dark side and chose Physics instead.
Reply 2
electronic engineering receives no love per usual

:cry:
Reply 3
You chose Physics instead? You need physics anyway for Aeronautical dont you?
Playboy King
Chemical engineers have the highest salary on average (statistically speaking), but I think Aerospace engineering is the most difficult, the most interesting and the coolest field of engineering :cool:
You can actually truthfully say you're doing rocket science, it doesn't get much cooler than that :cool: I wanted to do it before, but then I turned to the dark side and chose Physics instead.

This. Aero FTW :woo:
Reply 5
iainthegreat
This. Aero FTW :woo:

Ditto. Aero is awesome!
hash007
You chose Physics instead? You need physics anyway for Aeronautical dont you?

Yeah, but physics appealed more to me so I went with that. I would have liked to do aerospace engineering that focused on developing weapon systems and military fighter jets, if a course like that was available I'd take that anyday :yep:
Reply 7
Playboy King

I'd agree with the cool factor,but I think you'd scare people away at the same time.
Playboy King

civil engineers do get the most money:yes:
Reply 9
Engineering... Isn't that what people who aren't good enough to do physics do? :p: :biggrin:
Playboy King
Yeah, but physics appealed more to me so I went with that. I would have liked to do aerospace engineering that focused on developing weapon systems and military fighter jets, if a course like that was available I'd take that anyday :yep:

That's an option in the aerospace systems course at glasgow.
I'm doing aero :biggrin:
So naturally I agree, it's tough (especially if, like me, you didn't do advanced higher maths before the course) but it is pretty cool some of the stuff we work with :biggrin:

aeonflux
Engineering... Isn't that what people who aren't good enough to do physics do? :p: :biggrin:

I got an unconditional for physics at edinburgh and turned it down to do aero engineering at glasgow. Between physics at edinburgh, physics at glasgow and aero at glasgow aero had the highest entry requirements by far (AAABB/AAAA highers or AAA A-levels bare minimum)
Reply 11
victor_b1992

Does anyone know which jobs are the most common? I live in the Midlands so would I need to move away for a job in Aeronautical?
Reply 12
victor_b1992

Well the chemical engineers are definitely up there with their inmput into the oil industry.
Mechanical is definitely the most interesting though.
...And I say this with no bias at all :ninja:
victor_b1992

Is that what you like to tell yourself as a prospective civil engineering student?
Ofcourse they do have good salaries, as most engineering fields do - but statistically they're definately not the highest paid. Again, chemical engineering is the highest paid field.

Mechanical:

Civil:

Chemical:

Aerospace

Source: Payscale.com (figures for the UK, salary is in £, and updated in 2010)
Reply 14
Chemical.
Maturity
Chemical.

Either Chemical or Petroleum Engineering but some people enjoy the challenge and you get to learn a lot of interesting stuff (wait...should I be encouraging people to compete for the same jobs as me in the future?). The replacement rate for both chemical and petroleum engineers who retire is staggeringly bad and demand is constantly increasing (especially in biomedical and pharmaceutical fields) so if you need engineers from those fields then you just have to offer them serious money (which is why the starting salaries are so lucrative).

How they rate in the U.S. (June, 2009 - post recession):

Full article: http://www.bargaineering.com/articles/best-paying-graduate-jobs-lessons-learned.html

If you where just doing it for the money though you should consider your whole career, many engineers go into management and consulting later in life as these fields are well paid for experienced professionals.
Reply 16
Chem eng is the most paid by a fair amount, and here at imperial, electrical engineering is widely considered to be the most difficult engineering course. As for the most interesting, you won't get anything more than opinions here, anyway, surely you should know which one you find most interesting ?
Playboy King
Is that what you like to tell yourself as a prospective civil engineering student?
Ofcourse they do have good salaries, as most engineering fields do - but statistically they're definitely not the highest paid. Again, chemical engineering is the highest paid field.
Chemical:

Jesus, 100k... I should have tried to like Chemistry more...
Playboy King
Ofcourse they do have good salaries, as most engineering fields do - but statistically they're definitely not the highest paid. Again, chemical engineering is the highest paid field.

Mechanical:

Civil:

Chemical:

Aerospace

yes i agree with u by civil engineers properly have the highest potential, as of getting large salaries as you can become a project manager how earn up to £500hr.
aerospace not aeronautical -They are totally different!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending