The Student Room Group

How hard are GCSEs?

Oops, in hindsight this is pretty embarrassing...
(edited 10 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

I don't think any are hard The only ones of mine that require any sort of thought are spanish and science.

It, of course, depends on what you're doing and what you're good at.
What subjects are you taking?
Reply 2
No such thing.

I personally thought Double science and Maths were the easiest things ever and that English was kinda hard, and alot of people would think me mad for thinking Maths is easy and they get infuriated by it.

Depends what you like.

Oh and all of them are sooo easy. Don't go to university if you don't find them a breeze.

GCSES: easy
AS level: still easy but jump from GCSE
A level: a jump from AS but still fairly easy if you're passionate for the subject, moderate if you don't
University: challenging
Post grad: O shi- you better love your subject a whole lot
Reply 3
Original post by Fragile_Illusions
I don't think any are hard The only ones of mine that require any sort of thought are spanish and science.

It, of course, depends on what you're doing and what you're good at.
What subjects are you taking?

I havnt got to choose them yet, other schools have done it but my school hasn't. Next month.

I will definitely take Triple Science, I have to take a language (I go to a languages college :s-smilie: ) and that's all I know of...

Triple Science,
Maths,
English
French/German,
ICT,
History or Geography,
R.E (compulsary now :frown: )

Those are my choices so far, 9 subjects then...
f you put in enough work:
Science: Easy
Maths: Easy
English: Moderate
French/German: Hard (But maybe thats just me)
ICT: Moderate
History: Moderate
Geography: Easy (For my syllabus anyway)
RE: Moderate
And by this I mean how easy it is to get the A*
Personally my hardest subjects were Art, History and English Lit (I hate coursework) but others found them easy and struggled with science, maths etc. You know your own strengths I'm sure. Good luck :biggrin:
Reply 6
Original post by LukethePianoMan
f you put in enough work:
Science: Easy
Maths: Easy
English: Moderate
French/German: Hard (But maybe thats just me)
ICT: Moderate
Geography: Easy (For my syllabus anyway)
RE: Moderate
And by this I mean how easy it is to get the A*

Wow, thanks :smile:

But what do you mean by enough work?
is revising everyday enough to get A or A*?

Thanks a lot
Josh
Original post by Josh_Dey
I havnt got to choose them yet, other schools have done it but my school hasn't. Next month.

I will definitely take Triple Science, I have to take a language (I go to a languages college :s-smilie: ) and that's all I know of...

Triple Science,
Maths,
English
French/German,
ICT,
History or Geography,
R.E (compulsary now :frown: )

I had to take Spanish :frown: Make sure you actually work hard on it consistantly because I didn't and I'm going to end up with a bag fat D. Languages aren't really hard, it's just the case of memorising an essay like, twice a year.

Do history not geography! (said from the biased view of a historian :tongue:)
And even if RE wasn't compulsory you should do it. It's an easy high grade imo.
Reply 8
All of them are easy. but people do tend to run out of time in English. i.e. English is the most stressful out of all the subjects.

The rest are either spewing out textbook jargon or writing/speaking/reading/listening about how many robberies you witness in holidays.
Wow, thanks :smile:

But what do you mean by enough work?
is revising everyday enough to get A or A*?

Thanks a lot
Josh

I revised about 4 hours a day for 6 weeks before the exams, and work hard at school too. You will get loads of people saying GCSEs are easy, but then again, these are probably the hardest exams you have done so far and if you get into good working habits now, A levels will be a breeze!
What would you say your main strengths are?
Reply 10
Original post by Fragile_Illusions
I had to take Spanish :frown: Make sure you actually work hard on it consistantly because I didn't and I'm going to end up with a bag fat D. Languages aren't really hard, it's just the case of memorising an essay like, twice a year.

Do history not geography! (said from the biased view of a historian :tongue:)
And even if RE wasn't compulsory you should do it. It's an easy high grade imo.

haha lol, I always enjoyed history better than goegraphy but the GCSE timetables clash and we get a lot of essays in history :/ :dots:

Thanks
Josh
Reply 11
Original post by LukethePianoMan
I revised about 4 hours a day for 6 weeks before the exams, and work hard at school too. You will get loads of people saying GCSEs are easy, but then again, these are probably the hardest exams you have done so far and if you get into good working habits now, A levels will be a breeze!
What would you say your main strengths are?

I love science, I'm quite good at that.
English atm is easy, it will get harder :frown:
Maths is OK
Languages is hard
(the subjects I want to choose are the ones I think I am good at)

I work really hard at school but I get distracted easily and I procastinate and lot!

If it wasn't for the procastination I would be good, I don't normally do my homeworks which would explain it haha

But... 4 hours a day seems a lot! Especially for 6 weeks... how did you do it???

Oh yeah, if you don't mind. What did you get in your GCSEs?

Thanks
Josh :biggrin:
I love science, I'm quite good at that.
English atm is easy, it will get harder :frown:
Maths is OK
Languages is hard
(the subjects I want to choose are the ones I think I am good at)

I work really hard at school but I get distracted easily and I procastinate and lot!

If it wasn't for the procastination I would be good, I don't normally do my homeworks which would explain it haha

But... 4 hours a day seems a lot! Especially for 6 weeks... how did you do it???

Oh yeah, if you don't mind. What did you get in your GCSEs?

Thanks
Josh :biggrin:

Just put time aside for revision during your exam leave, its not that bad. Do past papers instead of just reading notes, make revision active
I got 9A*s and 3As, not the best, but at least there are no Bs in there
None of them are hard. When you're doing them (or at least this was the case with the people I know) they seem hard when in fact they're just inconvenient. You want to go out with friends and do all the other stuff is normal when you're 15 - 16 and so you say it's 'hard'. The truth is, looking back on GCSE I did bugger all work and got 2A*'s 3A's and 6B's. Not all together that amazing but a solid set of results. Concentrate on doing the work and revising for exams and you could beast them. Especially subjects with coursework, they're easy to do well in because coursework is a gift really.
I really don't think you can go off what anyone else says.. it's only easy if you know the work yourself :dontknow:
Reply 15
It depends what you compare it to. It's all relative, when I was doing GCSE's I found it fairly hard but now I'm doing A-Levels and think GCSE's were simple.

Triple Science, probably the easiest GCSEs because they are all broken up into modules.
Maths, should be easy, but many people don't think so.
English not especially difficult but will require time and effort.
French/German, languages are the hardest GCSEs.
ICT, very easy, but very time consuming and boring.
History or Geography, history needs a fair bit of revision, geography is about the same as English.
R.E (compulsary now :frown: ) easy.

Comments in bold.
I think most people consider them easy as if you don't put the work in you'll get a C, where as at A Level, no work usually means fail. They seem harder at the time but looking back they weren't. It depends on the person
Everyone has different strengths and weaknesses. Are you looking to do A Levels after your GCSEs? They're A LOT harder than GCSEs.. it's kind of hard to remember how hard exams seemed; it's 5 years since I did my GCSEs now. I seem to remember not doing all that much revision (but always listening in class and completing homeworks) and still getting good grades so they clearly weren't that hard.
Triple Science: Hard
English Language: Meh
English Literature: Moderate
Maths: Meh
RE: Easy
ICT: Easy
DT Food: HATE!

Quick Reply

Latest