The Student Room Group

TSR's 2012 Tuition Fees Tracker - how much are universities charging in 2012?

Scroll to see replies

Is there going to be a new thread every time this happens? There should just be one big thread to post all announcements of new uni fee's being released.
Another example of the government's so called " exceptional circumstances"

What a dam joke
I know the man who decided to put the fee's at that amount. He has a good logic behind it, and a lot of research. Weather it pays of or not, time will tell.

It is a better university than it gets credit for.
HAHAHA, what a joke. They've only applied to charge the 9000 though. I'm so glad the increase in fees doesn't affect me.
The only thing I'm surprised about is that people did not see this coming. It was so patently obvious that this is what was going to happen.
Reply 205
Original post by lazy smurf
I know the man who decided to put the fee's at that amount. He has a good logic behind it, and a lot of research. Weather it pays of or not, time will tell.

Nothing can justify it, the education LJM provides would not be worth 9 flippin' grand a year, Oxbridge is barely justified in charging that much.

It's meant to be the exception not the rule, if LJM qualifies an 'exception' then what university doesn't?
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 206

Unfortunately we have these things called 'league tables', which are unbiased and based on sound research, rather than our random perceptions on the ground. LJM should not be charging fees in line with the University of Liverpool. The fact that universities are all going to have to charge this amount to fill the gap of government funding highlights the absolute joke of a fact that these institutions were receiving identical funding for producing worse graduates.
Original post by Craig_D
Nothing can justify it, the education LJM provides would not be worth 9 flippin' grand a year, Oxbridge is barely justified in charging that much.

I never suggested it is worth 9 grand a year, that's a whole other debate.
Reply 208
I never suggested it is worth 9 grand a year, that's a whole other debate.

Well, true. Your man may have a logical reason, I confess, but he won't have a moral reason! :biggrin:
Original post by Elipsis
Unfortunately we have these things called 'league tables', which are unbiased and based on sound research, rather than our random perceptions on the ground. LJM should not be charging fees in line with the University of Liverpool. The fact that universities are all going to have to charge this amount to fill the gap of government funding highlights the absolute joke of a fact that these institutions were receiving identical funding for producing worse graduates.

I pointed this out in the following words

"If you offer the same entry points and the same fees as Uni of Liverpool, people will chose Uni of Liverpool all day"

He seemed defiant.

Also, no need to be so sarcastic.
Reply 210
Original post by Craig_D

It's meant to be the exception not the rule, if LJM qualifies an 'exception' then what university doesn't?

To be honest LJM should have reverse fees where you're actually paid to attend, let alone you paying them. When Oxbridge graduates are having difficulties in the job market I dread to think where LJM students end up.
Original post by Craig_D
Well, true. Your man may have a logical reason, I confess, but he won't have a moral reason! :biggrin:

I debated with him, this was in Feb, he wouldn't listen, he thinks people will still pick JMU over other uni's, I don't.

He is unusual, but holds power over big decisions.
Reply 212
I pointed this out in the following words

"If you offer the same entry points and the same fees as Uni of Liverpool, people will chose Uni of Liverpool all day"

He seemed defiant.

Also, no need to be so sarcastic.

Perhaps I should set up a stall outside LJM selling sheets of Andrex for 8k, then you can all save 1k.
Original post by Elipsis
Perhaps I should set up a stall outside LJM selling sheets of Andrex for 8k, then you can all save 1k.

I like my course, I had an unconditional offer from Uni of Liverpool, there have been one or two moments I regretted choosing JMU, but overall its been the right decision.

I will be a success in my field regardless of which uni I attended, so you can be a league table snob if you wish.
Reply 214
Original post by Elipsis

:lol: Indeed. Agree with you above too :biggrin:
Original post by Carpediemxx
Another example of the government's so called " exceptional circumstances"

What a dam joke

I was under the impression that the "exceptional fees" would be based on access for poorer students. Not whether the individual university was in the league tables or there were other, better universities nearby. In other words the only way they couldn't charge the full fees is if they didn't have fair access.

Under that criteria, LJMU is surely more qualified than the likes of Oxbridge to do this because it is more far more likely poorer students would attend. (I'm not saying that LMJU is worth the same as Oxbridge, obviously. (as someone who has LJMU as my insurance... close to home))

This was always going to happen, there will be a smattering of £6-7k fees but the vast, vast majority of uni's will charge the full £9k. It happened before and it will happen in the future (we aren't far off having no cap at all, mind) and I would be astounded if the government didn't know this beforehand.
Reply 216
Original post by James_B123
I was under the impression that the "exceptional fees" would be based on access for poorer students. Not whether the individual university was in the league tables or there were other, better universities nearby. In other words the only way they couldn't charge the full fees is if they didn't have fair access.

Under that criteria, LJMU is surely more qualified than the likes of Oxbridge to do this because it is more far more likely poorer students would attend. (I'm not saying that LMJU is worth the same as Oxbridge, obviously. (as someone who has LJMU as my insurance... close to home))

You've got it spot on, unlike the majority of people posting here. Your last statement is also very relevant. The one cost that many students can reduce is living costs. More and more are going to stay close to home. I know of at least 1 uni that already has 50% of its student body living at home.
Original post by Alexisonfire
HAHAHA, what a joke. They've only applied to charge the 9000 though. I'm so glad the increase in fees doesn't affect me.

It has actually been confirmed...

Liverpool John Moores
£9,000
Confirmed

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/education-12949232
Original post by razzmatazz rach

Liverpool John Moores
£9,000
Confirmed

Wow. I know a uni that's going to go out of business..
Reply 219
Original post by razzmatazz rach

Liverpool John Moores
£9,000
Confirmed

...and another one who doesn't understand the process.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending