The Student Room Group
Student at University of Edinburgh
University of Edinburgh

Any Greeks or Spaniards around...?

Hi! I am hopefully coming to Edinburgh for postgraduate studies this September and it would be nice to meet other prospective/current students with whom I share...well, for starters, the same language! So, are there any Greeks/Cypriots around who care to divulge the secrets of life in Edinburgh? Do you have any particular suggestions/warnings/advice regarding the weather, the accommodation, the food (oh man, what do we leave behind...:frown:), anything else you deem necessary for a new arrival to know?

Also, I really want to practice my spanish while in the city, so I hope there are some Spanish-speakers in here as well. Perhaps they could direct me to a Spanish Society there or something similar?

And last but not least, people from anywhere else, I'm looking forward to meeting you, as well!
Reply 1
Hello there!

I guess I would fall under the category of people from anywhere else.
I'm Greek but live in Glasgow. Have been to Edinburgh a lot of times though, my auntie lives there.

Are you coming from Greece? Well, Scotland is pretty cold so wrap up warm for winter! Have been living in Scotland for the past 4 years, still not used to the cold :frown:

The food's not the best...especially when compared to the greek food! I really do miss it.
I remember seeing some greek restaurants in Edinburgh though so hopefully you can find some. :smile:

But it's BEAUTIFUL! Edinburgh is one of the most beautiful cities I've been to <3

and the Edinburgh Fringe they hold every summer is awesome! :biggrin:
it's a huge festival with theatres, gigs, operas, dance shows, comedy, pretty much everything :biggrin:
Student at University of Edinburgh
University of Edinburgh
Reply 2
Original post by Emmak7
Hello there!

I guess I would fall under the category of people from anywhere else.
I'm Greek but live in Glasgow. Have been to Edinburgh a lot of times though, my auntie lives there.

Are you coming from Greece? Well, Scotland is pretty cold so wrap up warm for winter! Have been living in Scotland for the past 4 years, still not used to the cold :frown:

The food's not the best...especially when compared to the greek food! I really do miss it.
I remember seeing some greek restaurants in Edinburgh though so hopefully you can find some. :smile:

But it's BEAUTIFUL! Edinburgh is one of the most beautiful cities I've been to <3

and the Edinburgh Fringe they hold every summer is awesome! :biggrin:
it's a huge festival with theatres, gigs, operas, dance shows, comedy, pretty much everything :biggrin:

Thank you for the information!
Yes, I am coming from Greece, so I think the weather will be an issue. I saw somewhere that the temperatures are pretty low, however it is less humid than here so the cold is generally 'sweeter' (as in: 'not that biting'). To be honest, I prefer cold to heat, but I will miss the sun.

From what I've seen of Edinburgh (pictures, documentaries, etc) it looks beautiful, indeed. The rest of Scotland, as well seems very nice and I hope I'll get the chance to visit some of its beauties while there. The green mountains, the castles, the rivers and lakes, the steep rocky coasts... To tell you the truth, I think that, in the end, what made me choose Edinburgh is - in fact - its beauty!:smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending