The Student Room Group

AQA A2 Sociology Unit 4 20th June

Scroll to see replies

preparing for the exam at the moment myself.. does any one know :
are there any sort of limitations about what the 33 mark question can be on ? or can it litterally be anything about sociology ?
Reply 41
im not sure about anyone else, but im dreading the theory + methods question...eeeek.
Original post by JaiP
im not sure about anyone else, but im dreading the theory + methods question...eeeek.

I am dreading the whole exam! :frown:
Reply 43
Original post by Irishmonkey1992
I am dreading the whole exam! :frown:

same. I really hope its a methods question. Any predictions from teachers?
Reply 44
Original post by Daniel123

Prefer if it was theory.. find it easier because its all fairly fresh in my head

well today my teacher was able to find the jan 2011 questions and the 33 mark was on methodology, and jun 2010 was methodology aswel so shes predicted a theory question this time round.
Reply 46
Original post by Lightman123
well today my teacher was able to find the jan 2011 questions and the 33 mark was on methodology, and jun 2010 was methodology aswel so shes predicted a theory question this time round.

ohh! Thats annoying. I find methods much easier than theory. I know that in the sample paper - sociology and science came up so I doubt that will come up again.
Maybe it will be on a theory like Functionalism, or values or social policy?
I wonder
Reply 47

Hey :smile:

Would you be able to jot down the questions, please?

That sounds like a sound prediction - or they might mess it up and add both together, like 'feminist theories and research'... :closedeyes:
Reply 48
Original post by Kay :)

That sounds like a sound prediction - or they might mess it up and add both together, like 'feminist theories and research'... :closedeyes:

Feminists came up in Jan2010 so prob wont come up again but that wouldnt be too bad if they put them both together I guess

I sure can. Oh god I would be skrewed with a k if they did feminist theories and research! I didnt know they could combine like that !
well here are the questions anyway. They did a 3 mark and 6 mark in the middle instead of a 9 mark for some reason but these are definatly the right questions :smile:

1) Examine some of the factors that may contribute to people becoming victims of crime. (12 marks)

2) Using the Source and your own knowledge assess the usefulness of subcultural theory in explaining "subcultural crime and deviance" in society today. (21 marks)

3) Identify and explain 1problem of using offical statistics to measure the extent of green crime (3 marks)

4) Identify and briefly explain 2 advantages of using covert observation to study criminal gangs. (6 marks)

5) Using source and elsewhere examine the strengths and limitations of using written questionnaires as a means of investigating prisoners experience of imprisonment (15 marks)

6) Assess the view that positivist methods are inappropriate for investigating society. (33 marks)
Reply 50
Feminists came up in Jan2010 so prob wont come up again but that wouldnt be too bad if they put them both together I guess

Yes, I know, that's why I said 'like', I meant that they could mix another theory again, but it would make sense for it to be on its own, it's just so unpredictable, isn't!

I sure can. Oh god I would be skrewed with a k if they did feminist theories and research! I didnt know they could combine like that !
well here are the questions anyway. They did a 3 mark and 6 mark in the middle instead of a 9 mark for some reason but these are definatly the right questions :smile:

1) Examine some of the factors that may contribute to people becoming victims of crime. (12 marks)

2) Using the Source and your own knowledge assess the usefulness of subcultural theory in explaining "subcultural crime and deviance" in society today. (21 marks)

3) Identify and explain 1problem of using offical statistics to measure the extent of green crime (3 marks)

4) Identify and briefly explain 2 advantages of using covert observation to study criminal gangs. (6 marks)

5) Using source and elsewhere examine the strengths and limitations of using written questionnaires as a means of investigating prisoners experience of imprisonment (15 marks)

6) Assess the view that positivist methods are inappropriate for investigating society. (33 marks)

Thanks so much :smile: I recall this now, I think my teacher gave it to us on a sheet of methods essay q's.

How are both your revision going for methods and theories, and if it had to be a theory - which one would you like?
Reply 51
Yes, I know, that's why I said 'like', I meant that they could mix another theory again, but it would make sense for it to be on its own, it's just so unpredictable, isn't!

Thanks so much :smile: I recall this now, I think my teacher gave it to us on a sheet of methods essay q's.

How are both your revision going for methods and theories, and if it had to be a theory - which one would you like?

To be honest - method revision is going ok but theory isnt. I get really confused by ethnomethodology, action theories, phenomenology. If it is Theory I really hope its something easy like relationship between sociology and social policy or sociology and values. What about you? :smile:
Reply 52

Hey...which paper was this? Jan 11?
Reply 53
Also...does anyone have a good set of revision notes for Unit 3 (Beliefs in Society) or Unit 4 (Crime and Deviance) please?
Reply 54
Original post by MUJ17
Also...does anyone have a good set of revision notes for Unit 3 (Beliefs in Society) or Unit 4 (Crime and Deviance) please?

Here you go, these notes got me 99% for SCLY3.
Reply 55
To be honest - method revision is going ok but theory isnt. I get really confused by ethnomethodology, action theories, phenomenology. If it is Theory I really hope its something easy like relationship between sociology and social policy or sociology and values. What about you? :smile:

Yes, I do understand what you mean, but I suppose understanding it is the key. I'm finding it all pretty the same, although I'd prefer a theory question rather than methods as I'd enjoy it more. I find methods revision more boring to learn, but like it when theory comes in like positivism etc. What are you confused with social action theories?
Reply 56
Yes, I do understand what you mean, but I suppose understanding it is the key. I'm finding it all pretty the same, although I'd prefer a theory question rather than methods as I'd enjoy it more. I find methods revision more boring to learn, but like it when theory comes in like positivism etc. What are you confused with social action theories?

I find it hard with Ethnomethodology, Symbolic Interactionism and Phenomenology
Hope it doesnt come up
Original post by MUJ17
Hey...which paper was this? Jan 11?

yes that jan11 :smile:
Reply 58
Original post by Irishmonkey1992
Suicide came up in January and the Labelling Theory would have been included in Subcultural essay as well.

What paper did suicide come up? Yeah but they havent asked a question directly on those topics
Reply 59
Original post by chigzy29
What paper did suicide come up? Yeah but they havent asked a question directly on those topics

And suicide came up as a methods in context not a 12 or 21 mark in crime and deviance

Quick Reply

Latest