The Student Room Group

What GCSE results do you consider to be good?

Hey, pretty much like the title says just wanted to know what everyone wants as results and what results ppl expect.
I personally have had enough of waiting for thursday and i think gcse results should be available online...

Your opinion?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I think GCSE results should be available online too, so much easier and less stressful.
Reply 2
Original post by GLOB
I think GCSE results should be available online too, so much easier and less stressful.

tell me about it, + im abroad on results day so im gonna have to wait for my bro to call me n tell me...

2013 law?
Reply 3
Original post by N_young
tell me about it, + im abroad on results day so im gonna have to wait for my bro to call me n tell me...

2013 law?

:yep: I'm a wannabe lawyer, what are you hoping to do at university?
I've been doing some of my GCSE's in Year 10, so I can talk about specifics here.
I was hoping for A's for Science, History and RE before the exam, and I was hoping for an B in my English Lit exam.
But when the exams arrived, my sciences were still strong, but the exams alot harder then the Mocks, and History and RE were long exams and my energy burnt out quickly.

So now, I'll be blessed if I get an A for Science, B's for History & English, and RE, well I'd be relieved, yet dissapointed with a C!

Overall, I think B's and above are good grades.

Obviously, it didn't go exactly as planned, but you never know. Next year, I'll work 10X harder.

The wait is annoying me too. I'd rather see it on a computer screen instead of waiting for the paper in a queue of all my friends.
Reply 5
C :smile: But I think it varies for everyone
Reply 6
Original post by GLOB
:yep: I'm a wannabe lawyer, what are you hoping to do at university?

Good luck with that :smile: im hoping economics with maths at LSE :smile:

Original post by AmyAintDead
I've been doing some of my GCSE's in Year 10, so I can talk about specifics here.
I was hoping for A's for Science, History and RE before the exam, and I was hoping for an B in my English Lit exam.
But when the exams arrived, my sciences were still strong, but the exams alot harder then the Mocks, and History and RE were long exams and my energy burnt out quickly.

So now, I'll be blessed if I get an A for Science, B's for History & English, and RE, well I'd be relieved, yet dissapointed with a C!

Overall, I think B's and above are good grades.

Obviously, it didn't go exactly as planned, but you never know. Next year, I'll work 10X harder.

The wait is annoying me too. I'd rather see it on a computer screen instead of waiting for the paper in a queue of all my friends.

Well i did a few GCSEs early aswell, erm, French in Year 7 got an A* (no im not french) then arabic in year 10 (got an A) n i want to see following grades:
Maths A*
English + english lit AA
Science (double) A* A*
History A*
Electornics A*
ICT A/A*
N i also did an Additional maths course that counts like half an A level and hoping for an A in that
Pretty much i wanna see a sheet with no Bs on it
As for the waiting its just a PAIN
Reply 7
Original post by N_young

Well i did a few GCSEs early aswell, erm, French in Year 7 got an A* (no im not french) then arabic in year 10 (got an A) n i want to see following grades:
Maths A*
English + english lit AA
Science (double) A* A*
History A*
Electornics A*
ICT A/A*
N i also did an Additional maths course that counts like half an A level and hoping for an A in that

Economics at LSE is seriously competitive so good luck, but you're predicted really good GCSEs so you should be in with a chance :borat:
Reply 8
Im hoping for atleast all B's, why can't it be thursday already, its like torture!
Reply 9
well im in year 10, going into year 11, i really want A*'s in maths and additional science as those are my strongest subjects and at least B's in everything else. excluding thursday we have just 2 more days of waiting.
Reply 10
Original post by N_young

Maths A*
English + english lit AA
Science (double) A* A*
History A*
Electornics A*
ICT A/A*

wow how did you get an A* in french in year 7? did you study it before year 7?
Reply 11
Original post by GLOB
Economics at LSE is seriously competitive so good luck, but you're predicted really good GCSEs so you should be in with a chance :borat:

Well they say aim for the stars shoot for the moon, :smile: and thanks ima try, its like a little dream thingy so if it works out yay ima have to splash out between £27k and £36k atleast, if it doesnt i might save money :biggrin:

Original post by D4rth
Im hoping for atleast all B's, why can't it be thursday already, its like torture!

It is torture, its annoying waking up in the morning n not knowing what day it is cause u really hope its thrusday but it turns out to be friken TUESDAY... but 2 more days wont kill me, ima just get a beer and relax :smile:

Original post by izzaha
wow how did you get an A* in french in year 7? did you study it before year 7?

Cause im clever just like that :P actually i was in a French Private school so yh :smile: x
Reply 12
It's completely subjective.

One person might be happy with enough passes to get them back into school to do A-levels. Personally, I got 9 A*s and 2 As and was slightly disappointed about the 2 As. I know my GCSEs are fantastic, but I still had that wee bit of disappointment.

Everyone is different :smile:
I was in year 9 for this just completed academic year so I only did one exam which was a maths gcse on statistics. I think got about a B or A. Hopefully :smile:.
Reply 14
I really wouldnt worry about gcse's tooo much, there not a good indicator of ability...

Unless you want to go to oxbridge, a handful of A's, B's and C's should be fine :smile:

I had no A*, was very lazy scraped an A in maths, but now have A*A in maths, further maths at A level, aswell as a B in phyeics when i got a B in gcse physics.

So as long as you do enough to get onto the a level courses you want, i wouldnt worry too much :smile:
Reply 15
Original post by tbag1
It's completely subjective.

One person might be happy with enough passes to get them back into school to do A-levels. Personally, I got 9 A*s and 2 As and was slightly disappointed about the 2 As. I know my GCSEs are fantastic, but I still had that wee bit of disappointment.

Everyone is different :smile:

Additional Maths isnt a GCSE its a free standing OCR qualification (equal to half an A-level) and an A grade is really good in that, + english sucks so thats kl with an A. Nice one with the A* in all honesty id be disappointed to get any Bs and the more A*s i get the happier i will be :smile:
agree on the subjective bit, good luck with A2 btw
The people who get a mix of A's and B's (or higher) are usually the people who go on to excel in their AS levels and A levels
Reply 17
Original post by N_young
Additional Maths isnt a GCSE its a free standing OCR qualification (equal to half an A-level) and an A grade is really good in that, + english sucks so thats kl with an A. Nice one with the A* in all honesty id be disappointed to get any Bs and the more A*s i get the happier i will be :smile:
agree on the subjective bit, good luck with A2 btw

It's a GCSE with CCEA, but I would agree that it's pretty much AS maths, and yeah, I also agree that English sucks :P

Thanks very much! All the best to you on thursday! :smile:
Reply 18
Original post by mashman9
I really wouldnt worry about gcse's tooo much, there not a good indicator of ability...

Unless you want to go to oxbridge, a handful of A's, B's and C's should be fine :smile:

I had no A*, was very lazy scraped an A in maths, but now have A*A in maths, further maths at A level, aswell as a B in phyeics when i got a B in gcse physics.

So as long as you do enough to get onto the a level courses you want, i wouldnt worry too much :smile:

Maybe ur GCSEs made you realize that sitting back n being lazy isnt the best idea so u started working hard n got good grades on A level

Original post by rachaelizabeth
The people who get a mix of A's and B's (or higher) are usually the people who go on to excel in their AS levels and A levels

Id agree on that
Reply 19
Original post by tbag1
It's a GCSE with CCEA, but I would agree that it's pretty much AS maths, and yeah, I also agree that English sucks :P

Thanks very much! All the best to you on thursday! :smile:

Me being an over-confident git, took ICT and English Lang early, n because of missing c.w. n such got 2Bs, so had to resit so hopefully it will work out well. Btw if i may ask, what you hoping to become in the future?

(English really does suck... Mainly Lit. Carole Ann Duffy etc... i just remember burning my anthology :biggrin:)

Quick Reply