The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Bathwiggle
Fraid to say, a car was always going to happen. Although this winter if i hadn't got the saxo i really would have been screwed

yeah i don't really miss the freezing cold commutes i used to do on the CBF, painfully cold!

and martin does realise i was being sarcastic right? :tongue:
and front sprocket - put a 4 x 2 between the spokes so it wedges under the swingarm, get a 1/2 breaker, some scaffold tube and BOUNCE!
Original post by crazyjoyce
(what do i know, im probably the slowest on the forum)

Yeaah, so slow we had to keep you at the back :wink:

Original post by MHorman
When it gets warmer, we need a meet. Easter sound good for peeps?

:lol: Swear I asked a couple of weeks ago......
Reply 4523
I have no bike related news :sad:

Or even car related news :cry2:

Or even interesting life related news :cry:
yeah i don't really miss the freezing cold commutes i used to do on the CBF, painfully cold!

You were???? :tongue:

and front sprocket - put a 4 x 2 between the spokes so it wedges under the swingarm, get a 1/2 breaker, some scaffold tube and BOUNCE!

Tried wood jumping on the breaker bar with a pole extending it, i just fell over, Tried with a hammer as well. Pet's tried with the breaker and a hammer, my dad tried with a torque wrench :confused: It's really really really tight. I don't want to have to take the head off to try, but it might end up at that. Or i find time to ride to the local bike place, flutter eye lashes, ask them to undo it having brought a spare bolt, tighten it again, ride home and then do it.

Original post by LandyJon
Yeaah, so slow we had to keep you at the back :wink:

No that was for when we lost you :tongue:

You did, you never replied to my message either! but i can't come for a bike ride unless someone gives me a working bike

Original post by Juno
I have no bike related news :sad:

Or even car related news :cry2:

Or even interesting life related news :cry:

Remembering i have a 1litre 1999 saxo. Which is getting more abused by the day.

My parents sorted out insurance for me. through some error in the 7 months i've owned cars i'm up to 2 years no claims (with proof) and they have paid £300 for me to be insured fully comp on the car, as it's cheaper than TPFT.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by ApriliaRS
Hey guys, I've just bought an RS125 and I'm in the process of rebuilding the top end with help from my uncle before I do my CBT and get on the road. Thing is the bikes unrestricted and I read somewhere that you cannot Tax/MOT it without proof of restriction? Is this true, and I've seen hundreds of threads about how to de-restrict an Aprilia but not how to restrict it - is it even possible?

you'd technically be riding a bike without a licence or insurance
the chances of them checking however...

though if you do then get a bigger bike (assuming you do restricted) it would feel the worse (same power, more weight - though more stable)

avtually, do your test asap (if you're under 24), if you leave it till next year you will be limited to 125cc till 19, then 47bhp till 24.

anyone can ride a litre bike fast! being quick on it is what requires the skill!

(what do i know, im probably the slowest on the forum)

im faster then you any day :yep:
assuming you were on an SR125, me on the Bros, and in a straight line

Original post by MHorman
Tbh, lol...

I probs take that crown since i got boring and sensible in the last year. When i was riding with Oli/BW i was the slow one cruising at the back the whole time. Was nice riding though.

When it gets warmer, we need a meet. Easter sound good for peeps?

hopefully, not sure what/if i have a bike then though (guy wants it in april)
possibly on a CB450 held together by duct tape (if you think the bros is bad, wait till you see this!)

yeah i am thanks, apart from aforesaid lack of time. and i had to buy a car

Fraid to say, a car was always going to happen. Although this winter if i hadn't got the saxo i really would have been screwed

wusses! :eviltongue:

oh, and you lot know i was looking for a next bike to idealy not be an inline 4, have fairing, and be fairly popular for parts.... (so bascially an SV)

well i may scrap that now i've realised i can nearly afford a SpeedFour :woo:
(edited 12 years ago)

Yea, i guessed...:wink:

Original post by LandyJon

My bad... No secret fb group had been made so i didn't think you were planning one...

Although, when me and Landy went out for a ride that was a lovely cruise, a lot slower than when i met with Oli/BW...
We were on Dartmoor so low limits most of the way though...
"Old fazer or new fazer, wait, what about a hornet, no wait, hornets are just big inline fours, too revvy, how about another ninja.. OOOh there's a zx-6 going fairly cheap near me, nonono, think of the insurance! How about I look at an SV, but they are a bit too sporty in position for me."

Guh, buying a bike is hard work
Original post by Chilledice
"Old fazer or new fazer, wait, what about a hornet, no wait, hornets are just big inline fours, too revvy, how about another ninja.. OOOh there's a zx-6 going fairly cheap near me, nonono, think of the insurance! How about I look at an SV, but they are a bit too sporty in position for me."

im told old fazers brake, but have a better engine and look better then the new fazer (and are cheaper)
the hornet is revvy (like all inline 4 600s) and you get used to this
an SV has a sporty position, but you either get used to this, or get higher bars (£70 from china), or get the naked version.
how much do you want to spend? what do you want? looking at you list of bikes sounds similar to me, and out of the ones you've posted the SV has cheapest insurance (by about £50 in £500), and is the one my head is saying to go for :tongue:
i've had practice trying to work out what bike i want, current faverote is one that does non of what i want :confused: a speed four

Easy. Buy an old style fazer.

Original post by Boristhethird
im told old fazers brake, but have a better engine and look better then the new fazer (and are cheaper)

My fazer brakes all the time. Usually when i pull the lever whilst trying to stop which is convenient... :teehee:

CBF? =P But seriously, CBF, pointy SV, or new fazer. In order of most to least boring, by others definitions.
kawasaki versys. more modern version / more road biased than that GS650 thing you had last summer!

i'd consider one over the traditional (boring) commuter bikes
Original post by Boristhethird
the hornet is revvy (like all inline 4 600s) and you get used to this
an SV has a sporty position, but you either get used to this, or get higher bars (£70 from china), or get the naked version.
how much do you want to spend? what do you want? looking at you list of bikes sounds similar to me, and out of the ones you've posted the SV has cheapest insurance (by about £50 in £500), and is the one my head is saying to go for :tongue:
i've had practice trying to work out what bike i want, current faverote is one that does non of what i want :confused: a speed four

Old fazers break? I think it's just that badly looked after bikes are more prone to breaking, I've seen a lot of ~2002 fazers in good condition! The SV is most expensive for me to insure of those listed (In L3 of Liverpool, 2 years NCB, 20 year old) I'm looking to spend around £3k!

Original post by MHorman
Easy. Buy an old style fazer.

My fazer brakes all the time. Usually when i pull the lever whilst trying to stop which is convenient... :teehee:

Not new style?

Original post by omicronlyrae
CBF? =P But seriously, CBF, pointy SV, or new fazer. In order of most to least boring, by others definitions.

CBF's are a bit out my price range, Pointy SV's don't really do it for me, new fazer seems like a nice idea, but seems kinda expensive to insure!
Reply 4533

I told you not to buy an ugly bike! That rules out Fazers :sadnod:
Reply 4534
So the repair for my car is taking slightly longer than expected to be sorted.

This "chelsea thing" (my mechanic has a foreign europian accent so wasn't really sure what it was, but it's at the front of the car) still needs straightening. He keeps saying it's a big job etc ¬_¬

I'm just worried because I'm supposed to be seeing a girl on Thursday, and I'd hate to have to cancel, especially cause I think she's planning on cooking dinner for me! :zomg:

But I'm trying to be optimistic since most of it has been fixed, and my mechanic knows I really need it back soon. He says he wants my money as much as I want the car, but he has to make sure the job is done properly. :sad:

Patience.
Original post by Yawn11

This "chelsea thing" (my mechanic has a foreign europian accent so wasn't really sure what it was, but it's at the front of the car) still needs straightening. He keeps saying it's a big job etc ¬_¬

I'm just worried because I'm supposed to be seeing a girl on Thursday, and I'd hate to have to cancel, especially cause I think she's planning on cooking dinner for me! :zomg:

But I'm trying to be optimistic since most of it has been fixed, and my mechanic knows I really need it back soon. He says he wants my money as much as I want the car, but he has to make sure the job is done properly. :sad:

Patience.

And how much are yu paying for this additional job? :s:

Taxi to the girls
Reply 4536
I phoned the place today.

And I told em that I've seen formula one and they change 4 tyres in less than 10 seconds, but Ugly only has 2.

And yeah, hopefully he's ready now :grin:
Reply 4537
And how much are yu paying for this additional job? :s:

Taxi to the girls

We haven't talked about to final costs yet.

But judging from the estimate he gave me when I first brought my car, it will be at least £600...
Reply 4538
Original post by Yawn11

Original post by Yawn11
We haven't talked about to final costs yet.

But judging from the estimate he gave me when I first brought my car, it will be at least £600...

You could buy a bike for that :dontknow:
Old fazers break? I think it's just that badly looked after bikes are more prone to breaking, I've seen a lot of ~2002 fazers in good condition! The SV is most expensive for me to insure of those listed (In L3 of Liverpool, 2 years NCB, 20 year old) I'm looking to spend around £3k!

Not new style?

CBF's are a bit out my price range, Pointy SV's don't really do it for me, new fazer seems like a nice idea, but seems kinda expensive to insure!

thats just what oli said :dontknow: (at the bike show)
hang on, you have about £3k to spend?
are you looking at fully comp isnurance or something?
im doing the same on half the budget (well not so much now :grin: )

Original post by Yawn11

Patience.

chassis
(edited 12 years ago)

Latest