The Student Room Group

Daily Mail: cesspit of BNP supporters and racists. Do you agree or disagree?

Poll

Most Daily Mail readers support or sympathise with the BNP

This is a story about BNP on DM

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2106633/BNP-leader-Nick-Griffin-sex-pest-exposed-glamour-model-car.html#comments

Unsurprisingly the most liked comments defend the BNP, the rest all praise the BNP, whether it be in a stealthy way or openly (most of the "best rated" comments openly support the BNP).

Majority of the "worst rated" comments on that site criticise the BNP.

I conclude that most of the readers of that paper are BNP sympathisers or supporters.

p.s i would have been for the BNP if they just weren't racist or presented themselves as a "Christian party which support Christian values", some of their policies e.g "get out of Afghanistan", "stop being USA's poodle", "kick out muslims who dont integrate", "eradicate Islamic fundamentalism from britian" e.t.c really interest me. I wish liberals supported the policies i mentioned
(edited 12 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

While I too think most of their readers are racist, I think for the majority they are more "friendly" racists than "BNP" racists.

By friendly I mean that while they harbour racist views, they are perfectly polite to anyone of any race and don't go around being openly racist or discriminate against individuals. Still not a great quality to have, but nowhere near the level of vitriole as the BNP.
Reply 2
Original post by callum9999
While I too think most of their readers are racist, I think for the majority they are more "friendly" racists than "BNP" racists.

By friendly I mean that while they harbour racist views, they are perfectly polite to anyone of any race and don't go around being openly racist or discriminate against individuals. Still not a great quality to have, but nowhere near the level of vitriole as the BNP.

this.

BNP is a racist party in my opinion.
I wouldn't compare them directly to the BNP - most of the readers are white middle class people who find many of the changes in society scary and the Daily Mail gives them stereotypes to blame without using too complicated language.

Whilst it's an awful paper, comparing its entire readership to some of the monsters in the BNP party is wrong.
Reply 4
Don't worry about Daily Mail readers. The articles get them so worked up they'll all have aneurysms soon enough anyway.
Reply 5
Original post by karateworm
I wouldn't compare them directly to the BNP - most of the readers are white middle class people who find many of the changes in society scary and the Daily Mail gives them stereotypes to blame without using too complicated language.

Whilst it's an awful paper, comparing its entire readership to some of the monsters in the BNP party is wrong.

I am against stereotyping.

But when it comes to the Islamic religion i dont think you can use the stereotyping argument. Just like its not wrong to stereotype ALL neo nazi's as all racist (IMO).

I am against stereotyping of Muslims though, just not Islam or Christianity or any other religion.

I like a lot of daily mails articles about islam, they have guts.

Everything else e.g celebrities, sensationalist garbage is your typical news paper garbage
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 6
I've read the Daily Mail a couple of times. Calling me a racist? In fact you've read it too OP otherwise how would you know what was in it!
Reply 7
Original post by noobynoo
I've read the Daily Mail a couple of times. Calling me a racist? In fact you've read it too OP otherwise how would you know what was in it!

I love daily mails Islam articles.

Everything else i would call garbage
If the Mail can provoke this kind of reaction from the leftist Guardianistas then they are obviously doing something right.

The Mail deal with 'uncomfortable' topics, like Islam, unashamedly and openly, and that in my eyes puts them way above any pretentious leftist rag like the Guardian. But that doesn't mean I don't still read things from the Guardian, I just dislike their political slant.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 9
we have freedom of speech, people can be racist if they want. Personally, it is not a bad newspaper, although I read anything.
Reply 10

I think the majority of BNP members are similar to what you describe as the 'friendly racists'. I don't think you've met many BNP memebrs to say there is a difference between friendly daily mail racist and 'bnp racist'.

Anyway with regards to the daily mail I think the majoirty of it's readers or a significant minority are the BNP voting type. I despise the daily mail as far too left wing, liberal and Anti-BNP(yeah go on, call me a troll if you must), but I still see them as the best of a bad bunch of publications.
It's the lowest common denominator trash paper. Do they call that journalism? Simplified sensationalised garbage that somehow passes off as newsworthy. It is what it is.
Original post by silent ninja
It's the lowest common denominator trash paper. Do they call that journalism? Simplified sensationalised garbage that somehow passes off as newsworthy. It is what it is.

The sun is worse tbh.
It's a crap paper but I read it occasionally when I can't be bothered reading anything intellectual. I'm not racist, but I wouldn't call myself a regular reader.
They are worse than idiots. They are idiots who think that they're smart.

I mean at least people who read stuff like the Sun are aware of and acknowledge their idiocy.

Daily Mail readers genuinely believe that they are intelligent and are reading an insightful paper.

"Broadsheet for people with small arms." You wish.
Reply 15
Just as a caveat I'll point out that I'm not a regular Mail reader, but it's become almost cliched to slag it off.

Its' core readership is made up of mildly xenophobic middle-Englanders, not racists and BNP-supporters.
Reply 16

TBF, I'd rather that people were open with their views, rather than harbour them in secret. These so called "friendly" racists are the ones that come out with "I'm not racist but..." and "I have many black/asian/etc friends...". I'd rather know where I stand.
Original post by cgraham15
we have freedom of speech, people can be racist if they want. Personally, it is not a bad newspaper, although I read anything.

You make being racist sound so trivial. Racism is the result of generations of a lack of education on the matter and lost pride since the slave trade was abolished. People are not free to be racist, otherwise you wouldn't be charged for being racist.
Reply 18
Original post by Lamiaregina
You make being racist sound so trivial. Racism is the result of generations of a lack of education on the matter and lost pride since the slave trade was abolished. People are not free to be racist, otherwise you wouldn't be charged for being racist.

So if someone has racist beliefs but doesn't act upon them (i.e racially abuse someone, whether physical or verbal) then they should still be charged for having racist beliefs?

How very Orwellian.
Reply 19
The Daily Mail is certainly a rag, yes, but I'd hardly call their regular readership 'racists'. That being said, they are the only paper I've seen that has directly addressed issues like the 'underclass', immigration and Islamism, which is somewhat admirable.

Quick Reply

Latest