The Student Room Group

Anyone who is going to UCL for Linguistics?

Hi all:smile:

Actually I've got 2 offers for Linguistics. One is for MSc Applied Linguistics from Edinburgh and the other is for MA Linguistics from UCL. It's quite hard to make a decision between these two. But when it comes to cities, I'm really crazy about London!

I would be very happy to meet my "prospective classmates" here and we could share information with each other. Or if you have any suggestion, please tell me. I would be really appreciate it!! Because choosing from these two is killing me!!

PS. I've learnt something not very good to this course in UCL from a current student. From her point of view, the courses are not well organized and the teachers are not good. I have no idea about that. Hope anyone who know this course well could tell me that this is not true!
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 1
Hi,

I haven't applied to UCL. I did, however, receive an offer from Edinburgh and I am in the predicament to decide between Edinburgh and Trinity.

I am not sure what to do either. I've heard really good things about Edinburgh though. My supervisor thinks it's the best program, but I am afraid he only says that because he's Scotland fan :smile:

Haha, I wish I had only received one offer instead of 7. This way I wouldn't have to decide *lol*
Reply 2
Original post by AcesLacy
Hi,

I haven't applied to UCL. I did, however, receive an offer from Edinburgh and I am in the predicament to decide between Edinburgh and Trinity.

I am not sure what to do either. I've heard really good things about Edinburgh though. My supervisor thinks it's the best program, but I am afraid he only says that because he's Scotland fan :smile:

Haha, I wish I had only received one offer instead of 7. This way I wouldn't have to decide *lol*

Congratulations! I recommend Edinburgh,too :P Did u got the offer for MSc Applied Linguistics or from other linguistic programme? And are you planning to apply to UCL??
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 3
Thank you! I am so excited.

Yes, it's the MSc in Applied Linguistics. I'd really like to hear from students that studies/are studying linguistics at Edinburgh but they're so hard to find :smile:

The other offer's from Trinity College Dublin. Only difference is that I would get a M.Phil in Linguistics...
Reply 4
Original post by Cotton
And are you planning to apply to UCL??

Not really. I have a hard time deciding as it is. Throwing in yet another university would mess with my head even more :smile:
Reply 5
Ha, I've had exactly the same predicament a while ago. Got offers everywhere I applied to and then had to choose, though it was between Cambridge and UCL for me. In the end the offer of a studentship at UCL swayed it that way. I've heard really good things about Edinburgh too, but wouldn't worry about the quality at UCL too much. I know a couple of people who went there for masters and PhDs and they all liked it, plus I've met a few of the people teaching some of the courses there and as far as I can tell they are really keen and all. I'm going to do the MRes with specialization in Phonology btw. May see you both come the next academic year then!
Reply 6
Original post by MagLatus
Ha, I've had exactly the same predicament a while ago. Got offers everywhere I applied to and then had to choose, though it was between Cambridge and UCL for me. In the end the offer of a studentship at UCL swayed it that way. I've heard really good things about Edinburgh too, but wouldn't worry about the quality at UCL too much. I know a couple of people who went there for masters and PhDs and they all liked it, plus I've met a few of the people teaching some of the courses there and as far as I can tell they are really keen and all. I'm going to do the MRes with specialization in Phonology btw. May see you both come the next academic year then!

Hey there! Finally, I decided to go to UCL!! I guess we need to find out the truth by ourselves rather than hearsay :smile: So see you the next academic year my friend!
Reply 7
Original post by Cotton
Hey there! Finally, I decided to go to UCL!! I guess we need to find out the truth by ourselves rather than hearsay :smile: So see you the next academic year my friend!

Great, see you in September!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending