The Student Room Group

Financial Support Through Summer?

Hey,

Still cant find any part time jobs!! have been applying for lots of jobs since last august!

Is there any financial support i can get through the summer months because i need money to give my mum otherwise we wont be able to afford rent!

Thanks
Reply 1
No?

Will have to sign on?
Reply 2
Is it your final year? If so, then yes, sign on.

If not, the money you get is to last through the summer as well (they give you less in the last year because you are no longer a student after you graduate).

I don't think you are eligible for jobseekers allowance while you are still a student though, so if its not your last year then its not an option.
Reply 3
If you're a continuing student you won't be eligible for any benefits during the Summer months. The last installment from student finance is usually slightly higher to account for Summer.

You could look into the Access to learning fund from your university, although I'm not sure they'd give you the money to cover Summer.
Reply 4
Original post by sudo_euclid

I don't think you are eligible for jobseekers allowance while you are still a student though, so if its not your last year then its not an option.

Unless you're either a part-time student or a parent, then yeah, you can't claim JSA over the summer.
Reply 5
Its not my final year its my 1st!

Looked at my student loan the last payment is not more its the same £425 and i give 200 a month to my mum

So basically im ****ed! going to be 2 months without any money not going to be able to pay bills and food!

Already got a hardship fund from the college to try cover my tution fees which i have to pay for this year but ive still 200 to pay dont have a clue were im getting money to pay that

Will go into college on monday and see if they can help again!
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 6
Don't understand how college will help you? It's not as if you've run out of money for rent, etc.
Reply 7
Surely if you have no money your mum won't take it all.
Reply 8
No what you dont understand is that i need to give the money to my mum otherwise we wont be able to pay bills and food

My mum doesnt have a job and its only the two of us in this flat before i went back to college i was giving my mum 320 a month when i was working full time but it was a dead end job and i wanted to do something with my life so i went back to college i knew it would be a struggle but didnt expect to be out of work this long! have been applying for everything and handing in cvs and still nothing!!

Most students i know dont pay anything mabye 20 a week they really dont know how lucky they are! My social life has gone casue ive no money last time i had a drink was at xmas!
Reply 9
Original post by Jammienx
Its not my final year its my 1st!

Looked at my student loan the last payment is not more its the same £425 and i give 200 a month to my mum

So basically im ****ed! going to be 2 months without any money not going to be able to pay bills and food!

Already got a hardship fund from the college to try cover my tution fees which i have to pay for this year but ive still 200 to pay dont have a clue were im getting money to pay that

Will go into college on monday and see if they can help again!

What sort of funding exactly are you getting? You say student loan but if you're getting student loans then surely you are getting the full amounts if you need money that desperately?

As for a job, the best thing I suggest is to take a day (or a few) to go round your area and ask everywhere. This includes not only shops but swimming pools, museums, little rock stalls on the beach etc. Don't just stick to places advertising.

If everywhere says no, you may need to expand your search into other local towns/cities.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 10
I have the maximum amount of student loan i can get which is £5101

Cant get the additional loan because i have previously done an HNC and droped out thats why im having to pay my own fees this year, Im in scotland so should get my fees paid next year

I got extra money from college but that went straight to pay my fees and ive still 200 left to pay!

I have handed CVs into all the small shops round my area and the bigger shops always say go online and check to see if theres any going but there never is! I handed CVs into the shops in the city were college is and still nothing! Ive been doing this since last May when i knew i was leaving my full time job to come back to college!

My mum is on the same boat been out of work for over a year now and only had 2 interviews! She thinks its cause shes too old and most employers wont want to take someone on if shes going to be retiring in about 8 years!

Im just praying that i get a job before i finish up in June!
Reply 11
I presume your mum is on JSA and claiming housing benefit? I can't see how she needs £200 a month from you on top of housing benefit. If she can't afford her house, she needs to move, it's not feasible for you to spend all your student loan supporting your mum. You won't receive an ALF payment if that is what the money is for.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending