The Student Room Group

NHS Couch to 5k - Fitness Phobes Anonymous

Scroll to see replies

Reply 880
Original post by makingamemory
Ah :tongue: haha might just have to brave the stupid dogs, cause the broads so pretty, especially yesterday

Most dogs are ok, too.

A lot of dog walkers are around the lake at 7:30am when I run and I've only tripped once over the course of at least 40 runs :tongue:
Has anyone lost inches (not weight) through c25k?? I've got 3" I need to lose from my waist (idrc about the rest of my body) and am hoping that it might help :confused:
I'm starting it tomorrow hopefully and am consuming 1000cal made of mostly fibres and proteins
Reply 882
Having finished W6D3 today I'm really pleased with the results so far! I don't have scales so I don't know whether I have lost any weight so far, but I feel much fitter for it when I play volleyball :smile:

Has anyone here finished C25K and moved up to longer distances after? I don't think I want to stop at 5K and was wondering how you progressed after this kind of structured training (e.g 10k etc.)!! Thanks!
Original post by hilaire
Having finished W6D3 today I'm really pleased with the results so far! I don't have scales so I don't know whether I have lost any weight so far, but I feel much fitter for it when I play volleyball :smile:

Has anyone here finished C25K and moved up to longer distances after? I don't think I want to stop at 5K and was wondering how you progressed after this kind of structured training (e.g 10k etc.)!! Thanks!

I think there's a "Bridge to 10k" set of podcasts very similar to C25K around somewhere, google it and see what comes up :smile:
Original post by CantThinkOfaUsername
I never did Couch to 5k so I probably shouldn't be posting here haha, but just thought I'd reassure you that aching the next morning (up to the next week!) is totally normal if you haven't done a particular form of exercise in a while. The good news is that in a couple of weeks, you probably won't hurt at all the morning after running unless you upped the intensity during a particular run (eg. after a race) or just in general did something you don't usually do. The good this with following plans (something I've never had the discipline to stick to :colondollar: ) is that this will normally be avoided since distance and intensity is built up very gradually.

As for shoes, I wear an Asics pair and have never had any problems with them (my last pair were Asics too and lasted for ages) but I agree with the others; if you've been having knee problems, it's probably best to go to a running shop and get your gait analysed then look online. Good running shoes can be expensive but it's worth the money if you think you'll stick at it, and you can get a decent pair for £25-40 if you price around. And it might even be an added incentive to stick at it, if you've paid good money that you don't want to go to waste..

Happy running :smile:

Thanks, I'll look into that. Do you know of any chain running shop in particular that is good? I wouldn't know where to start!
Oh, I've had the most unhealthy weekend - I've eaten out 5 times since Friday lunchtime and had a bacon sandwich twice for breakfast. :embarrassed:

Still, starting week 2 tomorrow. Will try to do it 4 or 5 times if I can.
Original post by Rascacielos
Thanks, I'll look into that. Do you know of any chain running shop in particular that is good? I wouldn't know where to start!

Up & Running is the only one I've really heard of (http://www.upandrunning.co.uk)
but there are probably others in England. I've never bought anything from it as it seems quite expensive but I've heard it's good. If there's no shop specifically for running near you, it might be worth checking in any big sport shop to see if they do gait analysis, or if they know where you could get it done. From what I've heard, some places charge around £20 for gait analysis if you don't actually buy anything and others do it for free so it's worth asking around.
Oh, I've had the most unhealthy weekend - I've eaten out 5 times since Friday lunchtime and had a bacon sandwich twice for breakfast. :embarrassed:

Still, starting week 2 tomorrow. Will try to do it 4 or 5 times if I can.

How is it going?? Hope the knees have been holding up!

I've been referred to physio for mine, but it doesn't sound too serious so all good. 3 days until my 6 miler! :eek:
Blaah, so disappointed, done something really sore to my foot when I was walking to uni yesterday, so can't go for my run until it clears up. :frown: Was starting to really enjoy it as well.
Original post by Yellow-nutshell
How is it going?? Hope the knees have been holding up!

I've been referred to physio for mine, but it doesn't sound too serious so all good. 3 days until my 6 miler! :eek:

I hurt my knee doing W2R1 the other day - was running along and it gave way on me and now hurts like hell. I didn't think it would be a good idea to keep pushing it so I'm going to wait until I can see a physio/doctor/whoever and see what they say. No doubt I'll have to start back on W1R1 again when it feels better!

Good luck with your run - tomorrow, I guess?
I hurt my knee doing W2R1 the other day - was running along and it gave way on me and now hurts like hell. I didn't think it would be a good idea to keep pushing it so I'm going to wait until I can see a physio/doctor/whoever and see what they say. No doubt I'll have to start back on W1R1 again when it feels better!

Good luck with your run - tomorrow, I guess?

Oh no! How annoying :frown: I hope it isn't too bad and you can get it sorted. And yes, better to be safe than sorry. Try do something with less impact to try and keep your fitness up in the mean time?

I finished my run today. It turned out it was actually 6.6 miles, and in this weather it was so hard. Took me ages to finish, but I did it eventually! Furthest I've run to date :biggrin:
Original post by Yellow-nutshell
Oh no! How annoying :frown: I hope it isn't too bad and you can get it sorted. And yes, better to be safe than sorry. Try do something with less impact to try and keep your fitness up in the mean time?

I finished my run today. It turned out it was actually 6.6 miles, and in this weather it was so hard. Took me ages to finish, but I did it eventually! Furthest I've run to date :biggrin:

Congrats, that's really impressive! I remember doing a 12km walk a few years ago and I was knackered after that so you definitely have something to be proud of.

I'm going to have a week off exercise so my knee can stop being sore then I'll hit the swimming pool until I can afford some decent trainers (it's my own fault, I was running in my crappy, flat tennis trainers) and have been to see someone.
Reply 892
Need to start this C25K had sooo much food today, I just downloaded the podcast and am picturing success :smile: I am actually looking forward to it :confused:
Hey guys (:

Did my 3 miles for sport relief today, but not happy that I had to stop and walk through (and fall over a dog in the first 5 minutes!) it so going to try this, but since my time was around the 40-45 minute mark, I was thinking about starting half way through, since I don't reckon week 1 would be of much benefit...is this sensible or am I just being stupid?

I know this thread is for beginners, but I can't run 3 miles without stopping to walk quite a bit, and I think I just need some sort of structure to help me hit my target and thought this might help!

So basically, do people think this would work and based on my current progress, what week would people recommend...I personally think I'm at about 5 minutes without stopping so far, but should I start a week earlier than that to ease myself into the structure?
Hello!

I haven't been active in a while, getting so unfit! I can cover some distance and speed on a bike, but I've never been a runner and I'm a bit afraid of it. But I've decided to change that, and give C25K a go... eek! My target for the moment is to not be scared of letting my boyfriend run with me.

I think I'll do the first run tomorrow and see how it goes! :smile:
Reply 895
Did W5D2 today :biggrin:
First time running in my home town :smile:
Reply 896
Im on week 4, i struggled the past few times i've tried this and the initial weeks because i run way too fast and then burn out. I pretty much sprint. So for week 4 i consciously slowed my pace down a bit. Its going pretty well :smile:
Just come back from W1R1 and really pleased with how it went.

Yes, I was breathless and sweating but felt it was both manageable and challenging enough to make me want to keep going. At this point I really can't picture running much further though!
Original post by VickyTink
Hey guys (:

Did my 3 miles for sport relief today, but not happy that I had to stop and walk through (and fall over a dog in the first 5 minutes!) it so going to try this, but since my time was around the 40-45 minute mark, I was thinking about starting half way through, since I don't reckon week 1 would be of much benefit...is this sensible or am I just being stupid?

I know this thread is for beginners, but I can't run 3 miles without stopping to walk quite a bit, and I think I just need some sort of structure to help me hit my target and thought this might help!

So basically, do people think this would work and based on my current progress, what week would people recommend...I personally think I'm at about 5 minutes without stopping so far, but should I start a week earlier than that to ease myself into the structure?

You could just try and build up on your own. I started using C25K but found I was wanting to advance quicker. So now I just do a mixture of running and walking as much as I can. I'm up to 6 miles now just having to walk a little bit (mainly hills :colondollar: ) and that's just from pacing myself.

If you really wanted to start using the podcasts I'd say maybe week 3 or 4? If you think you can do about 5 then maybe try week 3 and if it's easy try week 4. I would suggest doing week 4 twice though before moving up to week 5, just so you're running it comfortably. It really is better to follow it properly though, and I'm only suggesting from how I found it. Hope that helps a little bit!
Reply 899
Back to it, starting off at week 5.:s-smilie: That long break was a bad idea since it felt so difficult to get back into.:pinch:

Quick Reply

Latest