The Student Room Group

Study leave

So I only have around six weeks or so before Im going to be on study leave. Time has gone so fast and it's freaking me out! Anyways, I was wondering if anybody who's been through the stress of GCSEs can help me out since I'm quiet worried. I've already started worrying about exams since I've been through a few this year and I know it's going to get more stressful. I have to re-take English language even though I got a C because my teacher wants me to aim for a B and sometimes I think having to retake is just gonnammean more stressing, however then I think it would be better if I got a C. Anyhow could anyone please give me advice to help me through it and since many exams will be very close by to each other,how can I revise for them and be able to get all the studying done? I usually enjoy doing studying and do quite well when I've done my exams but I've never really been through the process of exams being a day after another.

Thanks.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I go on study leave in 4 weeks D: Just keep focused, and try not to have distractions near by, that's the best advice :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by Safiya122
So I only have around six weeks or so before Im going to be on study leave. Time has gone so fast and it's freaking me out! Anyways, I was wondering if anybody who's been through the stress of GCSEs can help me out since I'm quiet worried. I've already started worrying about exams since I've been through a few this year and I know it's going to get more stressful. I have to re-take English language even though I got a C because my teacher wants me to aim for a B and sometimes I think having to retake is just gonnammean more stressing, however then I think it would be better if I got a C. Anyhow could anyone please give me advice to help me through it and since many exams will be very close by to each other,how can I revise for them and be able to get all the studying done? I usually enjoy doing studying and do quite well when I've done my exams but I've never really been through the process of exams being a day after another.

Thanks.

Try creating a timetable at getrevising.com that helped me stick to a certain plan when I was doing GCSE's, make sure you have plenty of breaks and don't burn yourself out though. The exams one day after another aren't so bad, you go in for your exam, before you know it you're going home again and the number of exams gets lower and lower. The feeling of finishing all of your exams is amazing!

As for revision tips, try making flash cards to remember important things/keywords, do LOTS AND LOTS of past papers for maths/sciences, seriously, they're your best friend because that's exactly the way the questions will be structured when you're doing your test. Make power-points and read through all the revision material you have :smile:

Good luck!
Reply 3
Thank you for the advice guys. Hopefully it will pay off and I'll get the GCSEs I want nd deserve!
Reply 4
i'm going to make an exam timetable! My school break up on the 25th May for study leave which is silly really, 7 of my exams are before then and i only have 4 after :/
we dont get study leave at our school (or so our teachers have told us) but im not as bothered as i thought i would be tbh, the only thing i wont like is the constant

'what did you get for Dii in chemistry/biology/maths/physics'

when we return to lessons :frown:
Reply 6
Yeah some schools don't do it. I've been hearing from people that even when there is study leave in my school,they'll be making us go to school since they believe not all students will use the time out to study which is annoying since its not like everyone will and they haven't told us when our dates for exams are. We are apparently getting them after Easter holidays which is annoying cos that time can be used to do some studying..
Reply 7
I get study leave on the 1st June and ironically I only have 2 exams after that.
My study leaves begins on 1st June :frown:. I fear the revising weeks are going to be like mock week where the teachers just left us on our own to revise with friends. Basically half the class were screaming and messing about while the other half actually wanted to study. I got practically no revision done in that week :/.
I don't even get study leave! Make sure you revise before your study leave though, definitely in the easter holidays.
Reply 10
Yeah some schools don't do it. I've been hearing from people that even when there is study leave in my school,they'll be making us go to school since they believe not all students will use the time out to study which is annoying since its not like everyone will and they haven't told us when our dates for exams are. We are apparently getting them after Easter holidays which is annoying cos that time can be used to do some studying..

You can still study without your exam timetable...
Reply 11
Don't worry; if you put you put the work in (and you'll know when you have put real work in and when you have just sat in front of your book for 2 hours, hoping that by some magical process your brain will soak everything up-so don't try and lie to yourself) - there's no reason you shouldn't do well.
Good luck :smile:
Reply 12
Original post by Shelly_x
You can still study without your exam timetable...

Tbh I don't think I can. If I have the dates to exactly when my exams are, it'll be easier for me. I could be studying for a History exam and for all I know, Sociology may be up first. Like I do have a brief idea as to when some of my exams are (June) but it would help if I had an exam timetable so I know what to study first and what should come after y'know?
Reply 13
Original post by Abc1234x
Don't worry; if you put you put the work in (and you'll know when you have put real work in and when you have just sat in front of your book for 2 hours, hoping that by some magical process your brain will soak everything up-so don't try and lie to yourself) - there's no reason you shouldn't do well.
Good luck :smile:

Haha! I think History needs about 2 hours of studying just to learn about one topic tbh. History will take more of my studying time.
Reply 14
Tbh I don't think I can. If I have the dates to exactly when my exams are, it'll be easier for me. I could be studying for a History exam and for all I know, Sociology may be up first. Like I do have a brief idea as to when some of my exams are (June) but it would help if I had an exam timetable so I know what to study first and what should come after y'know?

If you know the exam board for your subjects (OCR, WJEC, AQA, EDEXCEL), you should be able to find out your exam dates online, either from other users or from the exam board websites themselves.

--

I wasn't one of the people who found structured revising helpful, but I think it was useful as others have mentioned to do practice papers for sciences (maths, physics, chemistry, etc) and to do primarily background/consolidation work for the humanities (history, etc).
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 15
Haha! I think History needs about 2 hours of studying just to learn about one topic tbh. History will take more of my studying time.

Oh yeah; history last year was so painful to revise for- mostly because i literally had to teach myself everything- from the actual dates and content to how to answer the questions.
But you've got quite a lot of time until your exams- so you probably won't be as stressed as i was cramming everything in two days before the exam.:redface:
trust me- it's not fun...make sure you start in time ! :wink:
I completely know what you're going through. When we were doing our GCSEs, me and my friends got so worked up... So my first tip would be to relax. Trust me, you'll get more work done when you're calm. :h:

Yeah, http://getrevising.co.uk/ is great for making revision timetables - there's a feature where you can rank your subjects in order of importance so the timetable will include the important subjects more often.

Revision Cards are great because you can take them anywhere - I used to look at them on the car ride to school. :yep: Making revision cards also forces you to look at the syllabus, so you're aware of everything you need to know.

Me and my friends also met up in the library during study leave. One thing we did (so we wouldn't distract each other...) was to assign 40 minutes of work, followed by talking and messing around for 20 minutes; then going back to work for 40 mins etc. It worked really well because we got lots of work done, but also managed to have regular breaks.

Finally, once you've learned the content try out past papers. This will help you familiarise yourself with the style of the questions.

Good Luck! :smile:
Reply 17
Make a plan of how long you intend to study each day, and then note how much you actually did, and at what times. You'll quickly see how long you can comfortably study for and the best times to do so. It should gradually go up as you get used to it, but never go without breaks.

Once you know this, you can starting to give more time to weaker subjects, less to stronger ones etc. Stick in, it's worth it in the end! Good luck :smile:
Original post by Kitty.Cat
i'm going to make an exam timetable! My school break up on the 25th May for study leave which is silly really, 7 of my exams are before then and i only have 4 after :/

seriously! you only have 11 exams?!!?!

i have 16
Reply 19
Original post by :-) here to help!
seriously! you only have 11 exams?!!?!

i have 16

I haven't even been informed how many I have :L All I know is I have an English Lit, Languages, Sociology and History one in June. Grr.

Quick Reply

Latest