The Student Room Group

Chances for Cambridge MPhil Finance

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
They have to! Otherwise it makes no sense to keep some of the people in the 'hold' category waiting while rejecting others.
Reply 81
Yes, but I checked last years threads and the ones from the 2010. No offers after the beginning of March. I hope they will do so this year!!
Reply 82
Original post by Lalafell
Or the MPHil Finance and Ecoomics and this program shares many modules with the MPHil Finance

MFE runs 100% by econ department. No modules at Judge whatsoever.
I think the offers have been given out. The people who are still waiting and don't get a rej is kind of in the "waiting list". It means that if somebody who has got an offer decides to decline it, then the opportunity will be given to applicants who are on the waiting list. However, given the reputation of Cambridge, few people will do that. So, the chances are so little, as far as i can see.
Reply 84
Hi guys! I got a conditional offer via mail from the department 5 weeks ago. My camsis account still shows: "The degree committee is satisfied with your application. However, your offer has not yet been approved. Awaiting decision by the Board of Graduate Studies". 5 weeks seem a long time, does anybody know whether this is normal? Shall I call the BOGS for detailed information? Which conditions will I be subject to satisfy? - I graduated last year. Any experiences here?

Wishing the best for those who are still waiting for a decision!

Best,
Oliver
Reply 85
Original post by Oliver1989
Hi guys! I got a conditional offer via mail from the department 5 weeks ago. My camsis account still shows: "The degree committee is satisfied with your application. However, your offer has not yet been approved. Awaiting decision by the Board of Graduate Studies". 5 weeks seem a long time, does anybody know whether this is normal? Shall I call the BOGS for detailed information? Which conditions will I be subject to satisfy? - I graduated last year. Any experiences here?

Wishing the best for those who are still waiting for a decision!

Best,
Oliver

5 weeks seems around normal for BoGS at this stage. If you already had your grades when you applied, your conditions will be financial, and original or certificated copies of transcripts ( and an English condition if you are not a native speaker).
Reply 86
Original post by e1s

To give you guys an impression of my profile:
European citizen, studying in Holland. CGPA is 9.0/10.0 and I am double-majoring in Economics (main program) and finance (honours major), so I graduate with 210 ECTS. I know numerous people from my university+from my program, who got into Cam Econ with a 8.0 CGPA => Its not that Cambridge doesn't like my Uni. Compared to my fellow peers, I am the best in my program (110 people) and top 1% of my faculty (6600 people). Reference letters state "very top 1%" of the program+gives benchmark size. I received several awards and scholarships for my grades + got into the most prestigious german undergrad scholarship program - Studienstiftung, which would have also largely covered my tuition fees + living expenses. Currently, I finish my last semester abroad at Berkeley, have numerous internships including bulge bracket ones, was instructor of finance seminars for first year students, was head of a career event for 100+ students, and have volunteer work experience in 3rd world countries. I have research experience -> extensive research thesis (40+ page thesis) in game theory for which I was awarded with the highest grade among all competing students (only third years and I was a second year student). My parents are poor, so I had to finance my studies on my own = work, I have a social life too and like to get drunk sometimes.

It seems to me that you are a lot more suitable for Econ program. They are also much easier to get into. That can also explain why the people you know got into Econ - it is not whether "Cambridge likes your uni", it is whether department likes your uni, and for different programs the answer may be very different! The more competitive the program - the more the name of your undergrad uni will matter.

As for volunteer work and such - it is cool, but I honestly doubt it makes any difference for Finance.
Hey guys for those who emailed graduate admissions regarding why they have not heard anything yet, did you email them on "[email protected]" ? Because I intend to email them now as well.

I have completed my application by last week of December but references were not done except by mid January.

My profile is:
- Undergraduate from the American University in Cairo (Egypt) with GPA 3.92/4.00
majoring in Economics
- MSc in Economics from LSE with a 69.75
- Quite good references

I am also still "under consideration by the department"
Reply 88
Of course it does not make a difference, but it is still nice to state it ;-)

Original post by janjanmmm
It seems to me that you are a lot more suitable for Econ program. They are also much easier to get into. That can also explain why the people you know got into Econ - it is not whether "Cambridge likes your uni", it is whether department likes your uni, and for different programs the answer may be very different! The more competitive the program - the more the name of your undergrad uni will matter.

As for volunteer work and such - it is cool, but I honestly doubt it makes any difference for Finance.
Reply 89
Application is right, I am pretty sure all those 'Under Consideration by Department' will receive a rejection within the next 3 days :frown:
Reply 90
Dear Mr ***,

This email accompanies the University's official letter which will be sent to you in due course notifying you that we are unable to offer you a place for the MPhil in Finance.

You are one of a small number of applicants I am writing to on behalf of our MPhil in Finance admissions committee who were particularly sorry to decline your application.
Your application is very strong indeed and the committee would very much have liked to offer you a place. However, the course has been very heavily over-subscribed, with many well-qualified people applying for each place; and as we cannot at the moment expand the number of places, we have had to make rejections we very much regret.

We wish you well in your future career.

With best wishes,***
Reply 91
A friend of mine got offer from the MPhil Finance progrmme this year. He is doing BSc Management at KCL, with average 75% and a GMAT of 750.
Reply 92
Original post by e1s
Dear Mr ***,

This email accompanies the University's official letter which will be sent to you in due course notifying you that we are unable to offer you a place for the MPhil in Finance.

You are one of a small number of applicants I am writing to on behalf of our MPhil in Finance admissions committee who were particularly sorry to decline your application.
Your application is very strong indeed and the committee would very much have liked to offer you a place. However, the course has been very heavily over-subscribed, with many well-qualified people applying for each place; and as we cannot at the moment expand the number of places, we have had to make rejections we very much regret.

We wish you well in your future career.

With best wishes,***

same here
Reply 93
Still no change here...
Reply 94
I'm in the same boat mak.. no email and no change in status from "under consideration by department."
Reply 95
When did you apply? I applied early December. Wondering if in my case the wait is also due to a decision to award scholarships because I mentioned in the form that I won't be able to attend without it.
Reply 96
I applied in February - I know some others that applied around the same time and have received their rejections. I'm not that optimistic at this point but I'll try to think more positive.

Are you from the UK or overseas?
Reply 97
I am from oversees, though did my undergrad from lse and still in london for the moment. The chances are obviously very slim, and its best not to expect to get in.
Reply 98
Another friend of mine got an conditional offer on average 75% in the last year of her undergrad. It seems like the typical offer for the MPhil Finance is 75% in the third year.
Reply 99
I once thought that Oxford MFE is the most competitive finance type master in the UK and Europe. Now it seems to be that the Cam MPhil Finance is the most competitive. Although no GMAT and GRE requirement, it seems like people who have received offers all have 700+ GMAT and high first :frown:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending