The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 880
Original post by liglitterbug
I applied for the Nottingham SCITT (Primary) and I got in! :biggrin:

For anyone considering it and wanting a bit more info (I know I was scouring the Net for anything to help!)

The first stage of interview was much easier than I'd anticipated. Documents were checked, a few people didn't have the full set, especially GCSE certificates (although they had the provisional results and definitely had achieved the grades) but there were no problems with bringing them later.

We then had to complete three audits- English, Maths and Science. English was correcting the punctuation in sentences and then writing an essay on the Pros and Cons of a SCITT based course. English was the only audit which was taken in and assessed.

Maths and Science audits were a variety of GCSE level questions. We were given textbooks to help us and we didn't actually have to finish the tests, they were more for us to identify gaps in our own knowledge.

The one-to-one interviews happened as were were working on these audits. Mine had a variety of questions on educational issues (inclusion, what had my experience taught me, examples of great teaching styles, how would I react to a stressful situation etc. although I understand everyone had different sets.) I kept relating everything back to experience, especially backing up any knowledge of government policies and changes with examples of how it was received in the classrooms in which I work. For me, feedback was instant (something to do with the school I wanted to work in having enough spaces I think, although my interviewer also gave instant feedback to his other candidate, so it may have been his style) and I was told I'd gotten through!

The second part of the process was a school based interview for those successful in the first stage. As the name suggests, this took place at the school in which we'd be working during out placements. Apparently, this was the most important part of the interview process. Mine involved a tour of the school; a brief period (20mins or less) working in the classroom, helping with lessons and interacting with the children; another English audit (a short essay); a formal interview and just a chance for the school staff to see how we'd fit in with them and if they thought we were well suited. Luckily, the school I chose was such a friendly place that I instantly felt at home. The interview was a little daunting (three staff members asked questions and took notes) and I really thought I'd fluffed it (I misunderstood a question and had to apologise for my lack of experience in the year group in which I'd been placed) but everyone was encouraging and praised my answers so I felt comfortable despite my lack of knowledge in some areas.

Feedback came after about 20 minutes and was given in the staff room. Luckily, I got through! The staff were absolutely lovely, offering tea and biscuits and opportunities to come back for more experience in the classrooms.

I'm still waiting for the GTTR to update, but I've been told to expect information in the post around July time.

EDIT As for what to wear, I went for smart casual (black heeled boots, black trousers, simple shirt and a smart jumper as it was a really cold day!) for both interviews. For the school-based one, I'd been told beforehand about the classroom experience and so felt comfortable going in something I didn't mind getting dirty (lucky for me as the children were doing an art activity!) At the first interview, some people were in suits while others went for a more smart casual look, but the atmosphere became so relaxed that it didn't seem to matter too much.

Ola! I'm on this course too... my school is in Birmingham. Really looking forward to it!
I got accepted on a PGCE Primary in lincoln!!!! Yessssss!! It was my 5th choice lol but i got there in the end, i had an amazing interview and left feeling like i wowed them too. Amazing!
Original post by pineapple86
I got accepted on a PGCE Primary in lincoln!!!! Yessssss!! It was my 5th choice lol but i got there in the end, i had an amazing interview and left feeling like i wowed them too. Amazing!

Many congratulations, it's been quite the ride for you, well deserved
Reply 883
hey everyone! I'm new to this thread. I'm hoping to get into teaching (I know its very competitive)..I do have years of teaching experience (albeit not in a classroom!) from key stage 1 to gcse in english, maths and science. I have my own small tuition centre, where it's basically a mini classroom situation. I have to plan the lessons, teach the lesson, do marking, paperwork, speak to parents and even coach new and younger tutors about behaviour management.

I am going to look at volunteering in schools after the easter break! Can anyone advise me on the best way to be successful? Should I email individual schools or ring them up?

I'm also not sure about primary or secondary? To be honest, I'd love to have a chance to do both- so my question is, if you do a primary pgcse/gtp, but have expertise/ experience in a subject, is it possible to move to a secondary post in the future? Or are you stuck in primary for life?

I'm leaning more towards primary and I do have good GCSE grades and a 2.1 in my degree. But I know the competition is fierce and I can't help worrying.

I would prefer to learn on the job (GTP) but I know it's so hard to get onto. I don't really fancy the huge uni fees. But would a PGCE be more respected for future employers?

I do apologize for this long list of questions, but I would really appreciate some advice.
That's good also apply for more information which produce some kind of effect here.
Original post by aa3
I received an email today for an interview on the 17th of April at University of East London for Primary PGCE. Any of you attending?

For those that have attended one, what does the English and Maths test consist of? And what educational issue were you asked about?

I attended it in December and got an offer for the Primary PGCE in January. The english test wasn't too hard. Brush up on your grammar terms and definitions, e.g. phonemes, metaphors, etc. You also have to write a short essay on a topic using examples from work/education but it honestly isn't too hard, I think they just want to see you can communicate cogently and use correct spelling and grammar. I don't know what your skill level is in maths, but if you're a little rusty then I suggest some revision as it was a little tougher than expected on the day. Go over fractions, percentages, ratio, and so on, but also more complex stuff like algebraic proof, linear equations, etc.

The questions in the individual interview are what you'd expect, although they aren't as obvious as you think. Examples included difficulties and positives of teaching in London, and describing a situation that challenged you and how you overcame it. Just make sure you bring in your experience in schools/with children as much as possible to back up what you're saying, and be enthusiastic! And make sure you research a current educational issue as you may be asked to discuss one. You're not asked about a specific one, it's your choice.

There's also a group task where you have to prioritise a number of tasks as a group and discuss it while a lecturer watches and takes notes. Just be yourself but be careful not to let nerves get the better of you - make points, but also give others the chance to speak. We also watched a video of a teacher and individually made some observational notes.

It's a long day over all, but all the staff are very nice and they do try to make you feel as relaxed as possible. Prepare well and you should be fine! Hope that helped.
Reply 886
Thank you Glittersticks, that was really helpful. And congratulations on getting a place.
Reply 887
Well, I've finally bit the bullet and I'm sending off my application today. I started it in December but tried to entertain every other option. I knew all along this is what I should be doing. Better late than never!
Reply 888
Hi everybody!
I send the application for the Secondary PGCE in Maths three days ago. Do you know how much time do you wait until you receive your interview date (the first one)?
Another question, this one about the Maths PGCE. Is there a lot of demand? I am finishing my 4-year degree in Maths at a Spanish University with an equivalent mark of 2:1 (I don´t really know if that´s good, enough or poor. It's the best I could do, :wink: ), and I am really excited about next year, although I suppose it´s hard to get in, isn't it?

Thanks for your answers!!
Reply 889
I am quite worried about the maths test and so I was wondering if it would be helpful to prepare for it by working on GCSE past papers and is the test in a similar format? Also, how hard is the algebra? Is is basic? Sorry for all the questions. Please reply. Thank you
Original post by promaths
Hi everybody!
I send the application for the Secondary PGCE in Maths three days ago. Do you know how much time do you wait until you receive your interview date (the first one)?
Another question, this one about the Maths PGCE. Is there a lot of demand? I am finishing my 4-year degree in Maths at a Spanish University with an equivalent mark of 2:1 (I don´t really know if that´s good, enough or poor. It's the best I could do, :wink: ), and I am really excited about next year, although I suppose it´s hard to get in, isn't it?

Thanks for your answers!!

A 2:1 is literally good enough for every Uni in Britain, I wish you the best of luck, I waited about a month roughly I'd say before I heard back from a Uni
I received an email today inviting me to attend an interview on the 30th of April at the University of Reading for sicence with chemistry PGCE. Are any of you attending?

Have any of you had an interview at Uni of Reading already? If so how did you find it?

Hi everyone, I'd forgot to give an update on my progress, I applied for PGCE post 16 lifelong learning, had my interview in March, I was offered a place in the 2nd week of April. I've just completed my degree which is Bsc (hons) Health and Community Studies and I'm on track for a very high 2:1 or possibly a first! So I'm over the moon about that. I graduate in July. Good luck to anyone still waiting for interviews or waiting to hear whether you have a place! Oh and my place is at The University of Huddersfield. :biggrin:
Reply 893
Hi Guys, I've got an upcoming interview at Kings for Secondary science - Chemistry. Does anybody have any advice for PGCE interviews in general, or for science and Kings interviews????

Any help would really be appreciated, and best of luck to all those who have secured places and are still awaiting replies too!!1 :-)
Reply 894
Hi,

I'm currently writing a PGCE English application for 2012 entry (I know, it's super late!)

2 Questions:

1 Big One - the universities in the city I really want to live in are both full for September - do new places ever come up when courses are nominally "full", such as during the Clearing process?

1 small one - The "Education" part of the form obliges candidates to enter a single qualification for GCSE "Science". I don't have a qualification with this title, instead I have separate GCSEs in the three sciences. Entering these in the additional GCSE section isn't valid because it would leave the GCSE Science form blank. I entered it as "GCSE" with the grade "A*AA", which are my separate grades - is this sensible? (It's a tiny question, but I'm a perfectionist and don't want to accidentally invalidate my application with a silly mistake).

Thanks in advance for anyone who can take the time to help!
Original post by aa3
I received an email today for an interview on the 17th of April at University of East London for Primary PGCE. Any of you attending?

For those that have attended one, what does the English and Maths test consist of? And what educational issue were you asked about?

Hi there, i have an interview myself next week, just wondered if you could tell me any info from your interview...i.e specifically the maths test and the individual interview....very nervous and id be extremely grateful. thankyou
Reply 896
Hello everyone! I got an offer to be put on the waiting list for Chemistry PGCE at Leicester uni! I was just wondering if someone could give me advice on how to prepare for it, specifically the written task?

Many thanks!
Got an unconditional offer from the Grand Union Training Partnership!

Anyone else on GUTP this September?

EDIT: Sorry if my post offended you but, considering I've had 4 straight rejections which I've documented in this very thread, I thought I was entitled to post this.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 898
PGCE Secondary French at University of Reading!
Original post by Rache86
PGCE Secondary French at University of Reading!

Congrats! Was it your first interview?

Latest