The Student Room Group

Biggest fear when starting uni?

Scroll to see replies

I will by judged on my 10.5" penis in the shared bathrooms.
Reply 241
Original post by ThaChronic
No one likes the taste of alcohol.

I like the taste of quite a lot of alcoholic drinks. I wouldnt drink them if i didnt. Silly statement.
Original post by littleone271
Maybe you should just have it out with them and say it's getting a bit silly and you just want to be civil?

i tried that at the start of the year.

They agreed to meet me then didn't bother showing up, refused to answer phone calls or texts after that.

I think with some people you just have to know/realise they're not worth it in your life, and your probably better off without them.
Original post by Dbrown18
I like the taste of quite a lot of alcoholic drinks. I wouldnt drink them if i didnt. Silly statement.

So people drink tequilla because they like the taste? No they do it to get ****ed up. Most people drink alcohol for one reason and that's to get ****ed.
So people drink tequilla because they like the taste? No they do it to get ****ed up. Most people drink alcohol for one reason and that's to get ****ed.

I actually do like tequila :tongue:
I think you should divide alcohol in different categories: there are those drinks you drink because you like, and those you drink cause they get you wasted. You don't drink martini to get drunk, you drink it cause it tastes nice.
Reply 245

So all alcohol taste like tequilla? Are you actually slow or are you just wumming?
Original post by Dbrown18
So all alcohol taste like tequilla? Are you actually slow or are you just wumming?

I used that as an example genius. Everyone I know hates the taste of vodka and so do I but the only reason we drink it is because it'll **** you up and it's cheap. I'm not going to spend more money on something that might taste better which would give me the same effect that vodka would do.
Reply 247
I used that as an example genius. Everyone I know hates the taste of vodka and so do I but the only reason we drink it is because it'll **** you up and it's cheap. I'm not going to spend more money on something that might taste better which would give me the same effect that vodka would do.

Thats a stupid example. No ones saying all alcohol taste nice. Theres no point whatsoever in using that as an example, but you have alcohol that taste nice and alcohol that doesnt.

Again, everyone you know hates the taste of vodka...whats your point? Number one, the rest of population dont have the same taste buds as your friends, and number 2, this again is a pointless example of how one type of alcohol might taste bad.
Original post by Your New Shoes
- Having chronic bitchface so having people think I hate them
-Having to have the conversation about my foreign name every day for 3 months because no one can remember it, so I have to remind them/ explain it all the time :s-smilie:
-Making no friends, being too dumb/poor/weird
-Not being able to cope with the workload, I've already been sent a reading list and an essay and I thought I was going to have a heart attack!
-Having people freak out if I slip up and accidentally mention drugs

All of this.
And the question: "Where are you from?". Oh god.
Reply 249
People thinking I'm big headed
Reply 250
I have 2 younger brothers so missing them and my youngest brother is 2 so I fear I may become a stranger 2 him.
Original post by xoxAngel_Kxox
I was scared that I'd be incredibly homesick, wouldn't make any friends, and wouldn't be able to do the work. I'm in third year, coped fine living on my own, made some of the best friends I've ever had, and will be graduating with at least a 2:1 unless something goes badly wrong between now and then!

Did you have to deal with homesickness? And if so, how? :redface:

It's my main worry. I know I'm going to miss my twin sister and mother so much.

How did you (and everyone else) bond with your flatmates at first? Did you go food shopping or something?
Original post by SophiaKeuning

How did you (and everyone else) bond with your flatmates at first? Did you go food shopping or something?

I was really homesick. Actually ended up ringing home on the first night and begging Mum to come and pick me up again.. thankfully she didn't. Just throw yourself into every activity you possibly can. I went shopping with one of my flatmates and bonded with her pretty much straight away really easily, and the rest of us gelled brilliantly. I was lucky that I go on with everyone in my flat. The student union organised nights out as well, and once you've spent all night on A&E with your drunken flatmates (I don't drink) you can safely say you're bonded!
Reply 253
I'm worried I'll get a bit too comfortable and do/say something weird that would scare all my new friends off…
My biggest fear is money really :s-smilie: I think I'll be okay without my dad and brother but my family has never really been well off :/
Original post by SophiaKeuning

Don't worry Sophia. It rare for anyone not to have home sickness at one point in first term. As for home sickness, I don't have much advise but all I can say is that if you are home sick talk to your family regularly and get involved in EVERYTHING. The busier you are the more occupied you mind is and the less you'll think of how much you miss home. Try and tell your parents not to phone you, you'll phone them if you are prone to it as clingy parents phoning you all the time will just keep you focused on how much you miss home and will make you worse. Plus its stops you getting involved which will damage you first year experience in the long run.

As for how we bonded don't worry about it! There are PLENTY of opportunities to make friends and "bond". In reality the people you get close to in freshers won't be the people you will be friends with for the whole of uni. (Although most of mine are). The first thing I did in my catered halls after I unpacked was went to the quad and introduced myself to everyone. Litterally EVERYONE was there talking to everyone. I don't remember half the people I talked to (ironically including my current boyfriend which I met again later on in the year). But it was the people in my flat who I stayed with a lot. After/just before dinner (I was in catered halls) my entire flat gathered in our 'kitchen' and play have you ever. It was a really great way to get to now people oddly. I didn't have any alcohol so I was just answering the questions. The freshers events were what made us "bond" with others I suppose. That's what they are designed for. But it wasn't just going out. there were hypnotism shows and cinema showings and all sorts.

Don't worry that you'll have to create these opportunities like going shopping. The reality is opportunities will just come to you. On you first day I'd suggest:
1) Seek out a big group of people and start talking to them in a public place. You'll just attract other freshers if you get a big enough group.
2) Play have you ever with your flatmates. Its a really quick and easy (and fun) way of getting to know your flatmates.
3) Keep your door open as much as possible (but only when your in :wink:). Socialites/non-homesick people who are bored often wander the corridors looking for people to talk to when they are bored. Closed doors are intimidating and I rarely knocked on doors to chat to people. Closed doors in my flat meant you didn't want to talk to someone/ you weren't. All the doors were open a large amount of the time. The more you keep your doors open the more people come to see you which means more friends. :wink: Plus you are more likely to go out and do something with these people which means you'll be busier and therefore less lonely/homesick. Closed door = bad in my view.
4) What ever activity is going on, do it! Even if its a pub quiz. The more active you are the more people you'll meet and the quicker you'll settle in.
5) If you are lonely/bored talk to someone. Sitting in your room just makes things worse. Try you flatmates first! (which is why the open door habit is good to start in your flat) It will help you 'bond' and it will help both of you to talk. You might even think of something to do instead. If they aren't around phone home. Don't wallow in self pity it doesn't help.
6)Relax and have fun. Go with the flow and try not to plan too much. Freshers week is mad chances are they all go out the window anyway. As soon as you embrace the fact that freshers is a bit mad and this is essentially you growing up and fending for yourself the quicker you'll open up and settle in. Don't try and fight it just accept it and if you are the most settled in/ most confident you'll probably find a lot of people will recognise it and come to you (I was dubbed Mum by my flat cause I was the most confident in myself at freshers). Before you know it you've got a great network of friends who will all support you through the highs and the lows of freshers. But main thing is enjoy it. Its soon over and trust me when you're 2nd/3rd year you just wish you were a fresher again just out having fun all the time. :biggrin:

--------------------------------------------------

I didn't really have any fears when going to uni. My parents had gone to uni before me and said it was great fun. :wink: So it was an exciting prospect. I'm an only child and I spend most of my time alone so the prospect of leaving family wasn't a big issue and the idea of not making friends never even crossed my mind. I was just happy to meet new people. My friendship groups had seemed to stagnate at school.

As for all those people coming to uni in 2012 who are frightened of leaving home and not making friends, the important thing is to remember that you aren't the only ones. Everyone is really friendly (they are in the same boat after all) and everyone talks to you. Commonly you'll have a group of friends which you cling to in freshers and after a while you'll drift off and find better friends naturally. Some people I know can't even remember the names of their freshers friends. :s-smilie: but this won't mean that you wont stay friends with yours. Im sharing a house with mine and I'm in second year.

If you have these fears, make sure you go into halls rather than a shared house. It is SO much easier to make friends in halls since you see everyone all the time, especially in catered halls. The unis recognises that people are frightened and don't know anyone, so in halls they make a special effort to make it easier to make friends with loads of events. Thats what freshers is for. At University of Nottingham they've even stopped people choosing their halls as they found people from the same schools picked the same halls and then didn't mingle with others. So its a problem with the unis are actively trying to solve. So try not to worry and go with the follow.

Be open and others will be equally open. Don't bottle up your feelings as there is always a shoulder to cry on even if your not close friends with them later in the year.

Bottom line is: Get stuck in. Try out every activity they have going on. Talk to everyone and stay open minded. My freshers experience was the easiest of everyones but at the same time not being homesick at some point is very rare. The point is don't let homesickness hold you back, don't be shy and stay in your room all the time watching tele. Go to the bar and talk to someone. Knock on your neighbours door and talk to them to conker boredom. Don't worry about being annoying, they'll probably be thankful for the company too. Keep your door open as much as possible. These will all make things easier in the long run.

My boyfriend had the most horrible freshers week and it was all because he was homesick and shy and just stayed in his room on his xbox not going out on any nights out or getting involved in any activities. By december he had landed on his feet but he found it difficult cause he didnt have any friends and friendship groups had already formed. He thought that no one would then welcome him in (which is nonsense). But if he'd got involved earlier he would have had a much better time.

Hope this helps freshers. And Have fun! It was the best time of my life hopefully it will be yours too. :wink:

~Scribbled
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 256
Why are people so against the "where are you from question". I'm actually interested to know that, and also you've literally just met these people, you aren't going to be asking them about their deepest thoughts on life.
Terrified of not making friends. Have a really good group of friends at home and am scared no one will 'match up'. Guess I'll just have to be open minded.
Reply 258
Struggling with the work.
Reply 259
Missing my mum and dad, struggling to make friends (not a problem now, still convince myself it'll be a problem at uni) and navigating my way round a strange city, also never had experience with banks or loans or any of that stuff, good learning curve I suppose! :redface:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending