The Student Room Group

Is Cambridge elitist?

Is Cambridge elitist? Is there any sort of prejudice to state school pupils?
Is it full of 'toffs'? Or people who 'are spending the weekend on daddy's boat'?
I don't mean to offend anyone just want to know what it's like. :smile:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
No.
Elitist?

Well,I have a 2.2 from Brunel, and when I applied for a maths PG degree last summer, the woman on the phone giggled at me. Stupid cow. :angry:
Original post by Isambard Kingdom Brunel
Elitist?

Well,I have a 2.2 from Brunel, and when I applied for a maths PG degree last summer, the woman on the phone giggled at me. Stupid cow. :angry:

Well you can't blame her, it's very funny :biggrin:
Reply 4
They have no choice, naturally the best pupils come from private schools so there will be more rahs.
Original post by olipal
No.

Please expand :smile:
Reply 6
Original post by Jacob :)
Please expand :smile:

No, it's not.
Reply 7
It's elitist academically, yes - in that it selects the brightest students. But socially, no. There are a disproportionate number of privately schooled pupils for a large variety of reasons, predominantly that a much greater proportion of them apply compared with state schoolers. But very, very few "toffs" - most people are still quite normal and friendly regardless of where they went to school.
Reply 8
Elitist?

tbh I would laugh too
Reply 9
It's elitist academically.
Original post by Ilyas
They have no choice, naturally the best pupils come from private schools so there will be more rahs.

I don't really mean the selection process. It's the attitude of students and professors once you are in I want to know about.
Reply 11
Elitist?

I am not trying to be incendiary but she didn't laugh because of your degree, I just think she giggled because you underestimate the high levels of competition for Maths PG and a 2.2 from Brunel probably doesn't cut it.
Reply 12
Of course not. Oxbridge in general are actually the most open of all the Russell Group because they are scrutinised so much. Prejudice towards them will remain though.
If you mean 'Do they only take people from rich private schools' then no, I don't think so. Admittedly I don't know many people from my college that managed to get in, but I think that would be true for most places.

I thought Oxbridge had a pretty even ratio of public and privately educated students? But I might have just made that up, not sure. I've heard a talk given by a Cambridge lecturer and she was a nice woman, didn't seem phased by our lack of private schooling. Academically though, obviously you have to be incredibly bright.
Reply 14
I think the perception of Cambridge is more elitist than the experience itself, if that makes any sense! I have just graduated and come from a normal working family, state school background. Yes, there are groups of 'posh' or wealthy students there, but I would imagine that would be the same in a lot of other universities as well. I was never made to feel uncomfortable or inadequate - at the end of the day everyone who is there has earned their place academically.
Yes and no. The rich tend to go there more because of good private education, but the really hard working state educated people tend to get in as well. :smile:
Reply 16
who cares if it is? it takes the very best pupils it can and if they come from private schools so be it.
its not like they run a bloody credit check and have a look see in yoiur bank..?!
Of course it's elitist. They're not going to let you in unless you're good at what you do. I don't see what that has to do with toffs, state schools or "daddy's boat" though.
Original post by Rachoo12
I am not trying to be incendiary but she didn't laugh because of your degree, I just think she giggled because you underestimate the high levels of competition for Maths PG and a 2.2 from Brunel probably doesn't cut it.

translated - she didn't laugh at you because of the degree, but she laughed at you cause of the degree.

:s-smilie:
Original post by Magickal
Well they expect people to have STEP who apply from the Isle of Man even though there are no tutors for it over here so we have to pay £1000+ to go away and do it, and they expect parents to be able to afford to do this.

They expect everyone who applies for maths to be able to do STEP without tutors.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending