The Student Room Group

OCR Psychology G541 23rd May 2012

Hi, don't think there's been a thread made for this exam yet!

Is anyone else taking this exam on Wednesday?
And how are you revising for it?

:smile:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by ke95
Hi, don't think there's been a thread made for this exam yet!

Is anyone else taking this exam on Wednesday?
And how are you revising for it?

:smile:

Yup, I am! I've already revised - this is the second time I'm resitting, to push my grade up even more. Should probably revise more for it but right now my A2-levels are a priority and I feel I know most if it anyway, just for some reason I can't get the G541 technique right
Reply 2
Original post by goussberry
Yup, I am! I've already revised - this is the second time I'm resitting, to push my grade up even more. Should probably revise more for it but right now my A2-levels are a priority and I feel I know most if it anyway, just for some reason I can't get the G541 technique right

Yeah that's fair enough. I hate the 10 mark questions though! Really hate correlation as well:frown:
Reply 3
i'm resitting too :smile:

Got a C last time and wasn't pleased
Reply 4
Original post by stoppy123
i'm resitting too :smile:

Got a C last time and wasn't pleased

Good luck :smile: how are you revising though? It's so hard to revise for!
Reply 5
Original post by ke95
Yeah that's fair enough. I hate the 10 mark questions though! Really hate correlation as well:frown:

Yeah, I have my doubts as to whether the 10 marker will come up tho... Usually its a validity & reliability Q for 10 marks, and that came up in January so let's see.

Aww yeah I used to hate correlations too but they're actually pretty simple once you get your head round them!

What was interesting about Jan exam was that we didn't have to plan any experiment.... Hmmmm. What curve-ball are they planning for the summer, I wonder?

PS: Don't worry about this exam too much! It's only worth 30% of your AS, and I got a D in it the first time I sat it last summer, still came out with an A overall cuz I did well on the core-studies paper.

In January I got a C, some I'm hoping to push it up to at least a B this time round, but the fact i just haven't touched a thing for it since January probably isn't a good thing...

The way I revised was literally writing the facts out 3x over, so basically I'd memorise them.
Reply 6
Original post by ke95
Good luck :smile: how are you revising though? It's so hard to revise for!

Well I've done a few papers

And just looking to see if I know it all.

It's very difficult to revise for yea
Reply 7
Original post by goussberry
Yeah, I have my doubts as to whether the 10 marker will come up tho... Usually its a validity & reliability Q for 10 marks, and that came up in January so let's see.

Aww yeah I used to hate correlations too but they're actually pretty simple once you get your head round them!

What was interesting about Jan exam was that we didn't have to plan any experiment.... Hmmmm. What curve-ball are they planning for the summer, I wonder?

PS: Don't worry about this exam too much! It's only worth 30% of your AS, and I got a D in it the first time I sat it last summer, still came out with an A overall cuz I did well on the core-studies paper.

In January I got a C, some I'm hoping to push it up to at least a B this time round, but the fact i just haven't touched a thing for it since January probably isn't a good thing...

The way I revised was literally writing the facts out 3x over, so basically I'd memorise them.

Oh okay, thanks :smile: also what's the difference between extraneous variables and confounding variables?
Reply 8
i find past papers most helpful as if you just learnt the theory (e.g advantages of rating scales) and did not do any Past papers i doubt you could get higher than a c/d you need to know the structure of the exam and memorise the mark scheme. i'm aiming to do all the past papers but we'll see :tongue:
Reply 9
Original post by ke95
Oh okay, thanks :smile: also what's the difference between extraneous variables and confounding variables?

Extraneous variables = something that COULD effect the results, thus POTENTIALLY lowering the validity.

Confounding variables = something that HAS ALREADY effected the results, this HAS lowered the validity
Lets get a Q & A going first one : Outline one advantage and one disadvantage of the correlation method
Reply 11
Original post by pilotantsta
Lets get a Q & A going first one : Outline one advantage and one disadvantage of the correlation method

An advantage is that it shows the strength of the relationship between 2 variables. A disadvantage is that cause and effect relationships cannot be made, so we cannot say that one variable caused the other

Outline one advantage and one disadvantage of a repeated measures design
Original post by ke95
An advantage is that it shows the strength of the relationship between 2 variables. A disadvantage is that cause and effect relationships cannot be made, so we cannot say that one variable caused the other

Outline one advantage and one disadvantage of a repeated measures design

Well done :biggrin:

one strength is that it avoids any individual differences which may effect the results as all participants do the study in all conditions.
One weakness is that it creates order effect as the participants are repeating the experiment therefore may either get bored and do worse or with practise get better

Outline one advantage and one disadvantage of quantitative data
Reply 13
Well done :biggrin:

one strength is that it avoids any individual differences which may effect the results as all participants do the study in all conditions.
One weakness is that it creates order effect as the participants are repeating the experiment therefore may either get bored and do worse or with practise get better

Outline one advantage and one disadvantage of quantitative data

Yep :smile:

An advantage is that it is easy to analyse statistically, and comparisons can be made. A disadvantage is that it is invalid because participants cannot describe things in their own words

What is an alternate hypothesis?
Original post by ke95
Yep :smile:

An advantage is that it is easy to analyse statistically, and comparisons can be made. A disadvantage is that it is invalid because participants cannot describe things in their own words

What is an alternate hypothesis?

Well done

an alternate hypothesis is a statement which shows the expected results e.g People who drink coffee will do better on maths tests

What is a one tailed hypothesis
Reply 15
Well done

an alternate hypothesis is a statement which shows the expected results e.g People who drink coffee will do better on maths tests

What is a one tailed hypothesis

A one tailed hypothesis directs the affect of the correlation.

Such as, as height increases weight will decrease. (negative correlation)

Name an advantage and disadvantage of the observation method
A main strength of observational studies is that they get to see how participants actually behave rather than what they say they do.
A weakness of observational studies is that there is little or no control of extraneous variables in observational studies therefore we can not make cause and effect statements.

Name an advantage and a disadvantage of time sampling
Original post by Bobby Greenberg III
A main strength of observational studies is that they get to see how participants actually behave rather than what they say they do.
A weakness of observational studies is that there is little or no control of extraneous variables in observational studies therefore we can not make cause and effect statements.

Name an advantage and a disadvantage of time sampling

Thats right! :smile:

One advantage of time sampling is that it is less intensive as event sampling as not as much concentration is needed
One disadvantage with time sampling is that some behaviours will not be recorded meaning the observation could be missing some key results

What is an advantage and disadvantage of Lab experiments?
Reply 18
hey guys im resitting this paper and the thing is i understand all the methods and stuff but my problem is how do we actually answer the long 8 or 10 mark questions, especially when planning the experiment because i seriously dont know what i did wrong in the jnuary paper to end up with a D. what are the ecxaminers actually looking for???
(edited 11 years ago)
I'm looking for the same thing as the previous question and also wondering whether anyone has any idea about what's actually likely to come up and if there is a resource stating each method etc and the strengths, disadvantages etc of it?

Thanks.

Quick Reply