The Student Room Group

Is it bad to have a Masters degree and no experience?

Many say It's really a big and real problem because:

- you are overqualified for entry-level / graduate positions
- you don't have previous related work experience for the rest of positions

:s-smilie:
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 1
What sort of masters degree are you talking about? A postgrad one or an undergrad one?
Reply 2
postgraduate
Yeah, the problems you mention in your OP would definitely be there.

Could you get a weekend job or do your Masters part-time and do an internship alongside it? The latter is what I did :yes:
Reply 4
Original post by The_Lonely_Goatherd
Yeah, the problems you mention in your OP would definitely be there.

Could you get a weekend job or do your Masters part-time and do an internship alongside it? The latter is what I did :yes:

easy to say, hard to do it :biggrin:
sounds weird but it's hard even finding a job for free treated like a servant xD
What is the difference between an undergraduate masters degree and a postgraduate masters degree? Surely a masters is a masters. You can do a 3 year undergrad in the UK then a year masters at the same or a different university or you can enter a 4 year program and do both at one university, but ultimately aren't they the same qualification?
It's as big of a problem as you make of it.

If your going to graduate with an MSC at the age of 22/23 (assuming you pass everything 1st time)
Then accept that you will be starting in a graduate role but if your not up 1st for promotions then there is a problem with the system some where....
Reply 7
I did my Masters before deciding that I wanted to be a teacher. I'm now trying to get as much experience as possible before applying for a PGCE.

Though my dilemma was the result of me changing my mind on my career after starting postgraduate study.
Yes, have experience with work :smile: Anyone can memorise theories, implementing them is the real test :u:
Reply 9
Original post by paladimathoz
It's as big of a problem as you make of it.

If your going to graduate with an MSC at the age of 22/23 (assuming you pass everything 1st time)
Then accept that you will be starting in a graduate role but if your not up 1st for promotions then there is a problem with the system some where....

Uhm let me specify that when i say no work experience I'm referring with work experience connected with the field I want to get in to after the master.
Actually I'm 25 but: I have past work experience (part-time) also abroad in warehousing, catering, car rental and 2 summer jobs in sales sector. Everything did since High school while studying in order to pay my educational expenses. So that proves I have always been doing something during my last years. I've taken my degree in International Relations a couple of months ago just because I've decided to start my studies 3 years later respect the expected age.
Anyway I really desire a career in the International business with some multinational involved with global trade for example but right now I believe I don't really have nothing useful to offer for some job like that..So I'm really scared that a master for example in International Management could be useless for me
Reply 10
In short, no. Many PhD grads have zero work experience outside of academia.
Original post by EvanM300
Uhm let me specify that when i say no work experience I'm referring with work experience connected with the field I want to get in to after the master.
Actually I'm 25 but: I have past work experience (part-time) also abroad in warehousing, catering, car rental and 2 summer jobs in sales sector. Everything did since High school while studying in order to pay my educational expenses. So that proves I have always been doing something during my last years. I've taken my degree in International Relations a couple of months ago just because I've decided to start my studies 3 years later respect the expected age.
Anyway I really desire a career in the International business with some multinational involved with global trade for example but right now I believe I don't really have nothing useful to offer for some job like that..So I'm really scared that a master for example in International Management could be useless for me

I did volunteer work in my summer holidays as an undergrad. Are there any, say, NGOs you could volunteer with? Any internship programmes? They're all going to be dog eat dog at the moment but it's worth looking now and seeing if there's anything you can do to try and break into the sector. Identify companies you're interested in and see if they have any pre-application programmes.

Hmm ok, it looks to be a pretty wide scope once you've completed the course which in relation to your past work experience seems pretty good. At least you can discuss this when you are in an interview for example, "well ive worked at X,Y and Z. I've come to the conclusion I'd like to pursue a career in A because this masters course has helped me understand xxxxxx. Thus I believe im a suitable candidate for this management postion."

Perhaps you could get a management role at say Mc Donalds or something similar so that you can stick the title of management onto your CV whilst you are completing the masters (part time?)

This is just my thoughts I havent a clue what is on the course etc I just googled it and checked this course out...

http://www.reading.ac.uk/study/courses/taught/mscintmanagement.aspx

Im pretty sure if you found out the course leader or director etc and fired off an email mentioning your uncertainties he / she would give you an appropriate answer.
Is being 'over qualified' really a major problem? To me, it just sounds like a rubbish excuse which is thrown around.

If you're over qualified, then surely you'd at least have the qualifications they want. What gives?
Original post by SillyEddy
Is being 'over qualified' really a major problem? To me, it just sounds like a rubbish excuse which is thrown around.

If you're over qualified, then surely you'd at least have the qualifications they want. What gives?

Exactly, its probably an excuse given because the candidate doesnt have the skill sets / personality required for the role.

It sounds a lot better than simply no, unless the candidate demands a better pay that offered or is unreasonable.
Reply 15
Original post by IlexAquifolium
I did volunteer work in my summer holidays as an undergrad. Are there any, say, NGOs you could volunteer with? Any internship programmes? They're all going to be dog eat dog at the moment but it's worth looking now and seeing if there's anything you can do to try and break into the sector. Identify companies you're interested in and see if they have any pre-application programmes.

Well, this is the best solution of course but unfortunately I will always have to consider I can not afford a full time internship or volunteer job without any retribution and that's only because since my 20s I'm providing to my expenses autonomously, so I extremely need a job (even part-time). On the other hand it's pretty hard to get a part time job, most of employers need full time employees.

Original post by paladimathoz
Hmm ok, it looks to be a pretty wide scope once you've completed the course which in relation to your past work experience seems pretty good. At least you can discuss this when you are in an interview for example, "well ive worked at X,Y and Z. I've come to the conclusion I'd like to pursue a career in A because this masters course has helped me understand xxxxxx. Thus I believe im a suitable candidate for this management postion."

Perhaps you could get a management role at say Mc Donalds or something similar so that you can stick the title of management onto your CV whilst you are completing the masters (part time?)

This is just my thoughts I havent a clue what is on the course etc I just googled it and checked this course out...

http://www.reading.ac.uk/study/courses/taught/mscintmanagement.aspx

Im pretty sure if you found out the course leader or director etc and fired off an email mentioning your uncertainties he / she would give you an appropriate answer.

I hope so, normally they are so busy that don't even read e-mails xD
anyway I appreciate your opinion, you're right about many aspects. Concerning the master, many unis call it as Int. Management, others as Int. Business, so it's about studies connected with global business, trade, marketing etc etc
A tip, title the email application to course query, if they want to recruit as many students as they can (which is often the case in master courses) then they should answer. That should get their attention :wink:
Many say It's really a big and real problem because:

- you are overqualified for entry-level / graduate positions
- you don't have previous related work experience for the rest of positions

:s-smilie:

Important to keep in mind that:

A. Awful job climate. Youth unemployment in the UK at 20% with general unemployment at 8%.
B. Without experience you will struggle to get work.

So really I would not worry about doing a masters from the perspective of employability. You will struggle to find work with or without a masters. If you want to do a MA/MSc its best to choose something you love studying.

Quick Reply

Latest