The Student Room Group

Clearing or Gap year?

The thing is that I didn't get the grades required and I was thinking about going into clearing. My grades aren't great, but retaking the exams is not an option. The courses I find in Clearing that I am interested about aren't great either, the universities don't seem to be especially good and I am nervous because I don't know what to do.

My question is, if I take a gap year and find a job related to what I want to study at university, or study a language, whenever I apply next year if I have the same grades I will be in the same situation or the gap year + work experience/language learning will make a difference?

I don't know if I should go into clearing or take a gap year and try again next year...

Advice?
Original post by Carly93
The thing is that I didn't get the grades required and I was thinking about going into clearing. My grades aren't great, but retaking the exams is not an option. The courses I find in Clearing that I am interested about aren't great either, the universities don't seem to be especially good and I am nervous because I don't know what to do.

My question is, if I take a gap year and find a job related to what I want to study at university, or study a language, whenever I apply next year if I have the same grades I will be in the same situation or the gap year + work experience/language learning will make a difference?

I don't know if I should go into clearing or take a gap year and try again next year...

Advice?

If you aren't interested in the courses being offered then it's a good idea not to go into clearing to try and gain a place doing a course at a uni that you won't enjoy.

You'll be in a similar position on a gap year I'm afraid. I would recommend taking resits to boost your grades, but if that really isn't an option then it won't matter what work experience you have as you still need to meet academic requirements to gain a place at university.

I'd recommend you thinking about whether you need to go to university for your career? It could be worth thinking about apprenticeships and looking for a job where you can work your way up the chain etc?
University isn't the be-all and end-all :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending