The Student Room Group

Self studying Further Maths

Hello guys,

I would like to know your opinions on me self studying AS Further Maths.
The reason I am doing this is because in my college they don't offer it.
I just finished all my AS exams, them being Physics, Biology, Mathematics and Italian. I thought of self studying myself AS F maths next year because I didn't find maths this year challenging at all, and universities do look at Further maths being a 'bonus' to have. To tell you the truth I didn't even revise for maths this year, I did C1 in january with no revision and got an A, and just did M1 and C2 a few days ago with no more than 5 hrs revision (didn't even need). Another thing to take into account is that I missed about half my lessons this year due to health problems, so I ended up self teaching me half the stuff they did in class on my own, in the hospital... :/
I am a very ambitious guy and when I want something, I really go for it. What I had in mind would be to do S1/D1/FP1 all in january next year and depending on the grade decide wether to do the rest in june. I know it sounds crazy but I really believe I can do it. Also I have heard that S2 is actually easier than S1, is that true? would it be more conventional doing S2 rather than S1?

Edit: I am currently doing Edexcel Board

I know it was a bit long, but thanks a lot. Even if your opinion is demoralizing I will take it into account.
I really want to do Further Maths even if it is only AS.
(edited 11 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Lots of people who are good at maths do this so it should be no issue

It would be good if you had some teacher support but not essential

Re the Ss ... which board do you do
Reply 2
Original post by matheushms
Hello guys,

I just finished all my AS exams, them being Physics, Biology, Mathematics and Italian. I thought of self studying myself AS F maths next year because I didn't find maths this year challenging at all, and universities do look at Further maths being a 'bonus' to have. To tell you the truth I didn't even revise for maths this year, I did C1 in january with no revision and got an A, and just did M1 and C2 a few days ago with no more than 5 hrs revision (didn't even need). Another thing to take into account is that I missed about half my lessons this year due to health problems, so I ended up self teaching me half the stuff they did in class on my own, in the hospital... :/
I am a very ambitious guy and when I want something, I really go for it. What I had in mind would be to do S1/D1/FP1 all in january next year and depending on the grade decide wether to do the rest in june. I know it sounds crazy but I really believe I can do it. Also I have heard that S2 is actually easier than S1, is that true? would it be more conventional doing S2 rather than S1?

I know it was a bit long, but thanks a lot. Even if your opinion is demoralizing I will take it into account.

If you're an able mathematician it shouldn't be a problem. I taught myself S1 and S2 this year and I'd agree that S2 is easier than S1. Mainly because S1 probability can be confusing, and you may be uncomfortable with the other new concepts at first and by the time you teach yourself S2 you're more comfortable with those things and can grasp S2 relatively easily.

As for doing S2 and not S1. You need to to do S1 to do S2, S2 builds upon S1. Objectively S2 is not supposed to be the easier module, it's just some people find it easy. Others probably don't. A combination of FP1 S1 and S2 I think would be a perfectly manageable self-taught AS.
Hello guys,

Well most people do S1 and D1 in January, along with C1 for normal maths, and FP1 is practically the same difficulty as C2, so you should be fine as long as you work for it. You need to do S1 in order to do S2, it's just apparently S2 is easier. Imagine if C2 only included the area under the curve stuff - it would be easier than C1, but you'd need C1 to do it.
Reply 4
I agree with the posters above. In addition, having self-taught is quite impressive when it comes to university applications, as it shows that you have the attributes (motivation, ability to take information from books and notes) to study at a higher level.

Original post by zxh800
S2 is easier than S1

On Edexcel, I agree, S2 is a very short and easy module.
Reply 5
Hello guys,

In my opinion, it is achievable. I think the hardest module so far for me is FP1 (Mind you, haven't done S2 yet). Half of the FP1 questions are show that questions and proof by induction is probably the hardest chapter in the book.

I found S1 quite straightforward because I did Statistics GCSE and 70% of that was in S1, probability just needs a bit of practise and the rest of the chapters are just formulas and remembering how coding (the worst subject in S1 :P) affects things like correlation and regression. I also did FSMQ last year (year 11) and the FSMQ has stuff on C1,C2,M1,M2,S1,S2 and D1, like we learned binomial distribution in FSMQ and apparently that's on the S2 syllabus.

D1 is so different to normal maths, I see how its applications are useful but I don't like just learning algorithms and repeatedly applying them like a robot. Plus, some of the algorithms are incredibly tedious to do (e.g. bubble sort). While I appreciate that D1 teaches you how a computer works, I don't want to be a computer.
Reply 6
I agree with all the other posters. I taught myself A2 in my second year, alongside being taught AS (though with AQA). I went to my AS/normal maths teachers two or three times for a bit of help, and discussed some stuff with a friend doing the same thing, but generally it was fine, definitely doable, especially as you sound like a really able mathematician. There are a few more completely new concepts so you will have to put a bit of effort in but it's worth it, and will help a lot if you go on to study maths as well.

Xxx

posted from the TSR Android app
I self taught Fp1, d1, d2 and s2 and it was ok. You should be able to do it if you put the time in.
Reply 8
Original post by jqian

D1 is so different to normal maths, I see how its applications are useful but I don't like just learning algorithms and repeatedly applying them like a robot. Plus, some of the algorithms are incredibly tedious to do (e.g. bubble sort). While I appreciate that D1 teaches you how a computer works, I don't want to be a computer.

Fp1 has a section that is actually training 2 b a computer. the numerical methods chapter is completely useless to you, there is no reason ever why you would want to use it

d1 is interesting, its algorithms can be applied in any application, so if you're into programming its really cool.

s2 is waaaaay easier that s1, i got 78% in s1 and 95% in s2 :s-smilie:
Reply 9
Original post by lubus
Fp1 has a section that is actually training 2 b a computer. the numerical methods chapter is completely useless to you, there is no reason ever why you would want to use it

d1 is interesting, its algorithms can be applied in any application, so if you're into programming its really cool.

s2 is waaaaay easier that s1, i got 78% in s1 and 95% in s2 :s-smilie:

Haha don't get me started on numerical methods! The funny thing is I do computing and like programming but find D1 a bit weird! Maybe I'll get used to it after a while. It could be because our teacher taught us D1 in virtually ,12 hours! And I guess getting 95 in S2 is more useful for that A*!
Reply 10
Hello guys,

Tbh, it isn't difficult to self-study these modules.

S2 will probably won't be a part of your combination unless you do S1. I don't think you can have a FP1, S2, D1 combination if you have not done S1.

I won't say S2 is easier than S1, both are dull and boring modules, and S2 requires the knowledge of S1. In S1 probability can be challenging, while in S2 it takes a bit of time to get the grasp of hypothesis testing, but once you understand it, it becomes very easy.

FP1 is another very easy module.

AS further maths isn't hard at all, the difficulty further maths students find are in units such as FP2/FP3/M3...

I am also self-studying edexcel further maths, these modules can be easily studied using the edexcel modular text books.
Reply 11
Thanks to all of you!!!

I am so going for it next year!! Oh I didn't klnow you couldnt do S2 without S1, thanks for that information.

Yes I am into programming a lot, in fact I want to do computer science in university, so I would go for d1 and s1 rather than s1 and s2...

Very much appreciated!!
Reply 12
I have been teaching myself C1 C2 C3 C4 M1 and D1 and Physics Unit 2, unit 4 and unit 5 since January. I have gotten through it all with hard work...
FP Maths is a bit of a step up, but if your're capable... do it. :') Nothing to loose really.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by TenOfThem
Lots of people who are good at maths do this so it should be no issue

It would be good if you had some teacher support but not essential

Re the Ss ... which board do you do

to self study the further maths, how do you enter yourself for the exam?
You can't do S2 unless you do S1, even it's easier, it's a build on it. I recommend you dump d1 and do S2. I self taught s2 when I'm in AS, and I got a 70/75, so it not that hard at all. Hope this helps. :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 15
Original post by Kolasinac138
to self study the further maths, how do you enter yourself for the exam?

Contact the exams officer of a local exam centre (school, college, sixth form, etc.). You pay them to enter you.

Original post by Wilsoncw1997
You can't do S2 unless you do S1, even it's easier, it's a build on it. I recommend you dump d1 and do S2. I self taught s2 when I'm in AS, and I got a 70/75, so it not that hard at all. Hope this helps. :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile

This thread is almost two years old.
Original post by alow
Contact the exams officer of a local exam centre (school, college, sixth form, etc.). You pay them to enter you.

This thread is almost two years old.

Could I enter in my own school? Even though we don't study A-levels but Pre-Us?

Also, which modules do you do for A2 Further Maths? FP1, FP2, FP3, S1, S2, M1 and M2 or?
Reply 17
Could I enter in my own school? Even though we don't study A-levels but Pre-Us?

Also, which modules do you do for A2 Further Maths? FP1, FP2, FP3, S1, S2, M1 and M2 or?

Yeah, just speak to the exams officer.

You have to do FP1, FP2 and/or FP3. You then take either 3 or 4 applied modules depending on how many FPs you're taking. Also, at least three of the modules you're taking must end in a 2 or higher.
Original post by alow
Yeah, just speak to the exams officer.

You have to do FP1, FP2 and/or FP3. You then take either 3 or 4 applied modules depending on how many FPs you're taking. Also, at least three of the modules you're taking must end in a 2 or higher.

So I could do FP1 FP2 FP3 S1 M1 M2?
Reply 19
So I could do FP1 FP2 FP3 S1 M1 M2?

Yes.

Quick Reply

Latest