The Student Room Group
Dress how people working there dress.
Reply 2
why not call them up and ask them what theyd prefure you to wear.
theres no harm in asking as they will tell you
Reply 3
I had an interview there, and went in black trousers, shoes (ie not trainers) and a casual shirt thing. I was told in my interview that I was overdressed!
Reply 4
Still it would give the right impression! I think black trousers, smart shoes and a button up shirt would be best?
Reply 5
Juno
I had an interview there, and went in black trousers, shoes (ie not trainers) and a casual shirt thing. I was told in my interview that I was overdressed!

LOL. That helps! Thank you.
Reply 6
I went smart and got the job, worked there for a year part time and six months full time.
So I would say go smart.
Reply 7
Go smart-its better to make a good impresion and to show that your serious about the job. My manager turned a guy away who turned up in jeans and trainers and told him to come back when he was 'ready to be taken seriously'
Reply 8
Can you please tell me how you applied for the job, because the website always says no vancancies? Looking for a part time postion in london, thanks
Reply 9
HMV in oxford street has vacancies in the window. and if you're in SE london, there's a new store opening in bromley area. also have you looked at Fopp? just don't ever ever work for virgin. i left over 2 months ago and i'm STILL waiting for my final paycheque (no one thought it was wrong to pay someone £18 for a full days work and holiday in lue??!)

when i had my interview for virgin i wore black trousers and a pretty shirt. then for my interview for the music store i work in now (as it's a concession stand in urban outfitters) i wore a suit with a tshirt. i think smasual is the look to go for
Reply 10
I just got a call from them after one of my mega CV-on-spec mail bombardments.

Hehe.

Got the job as well!
evolvedFrom
I just got a call from them after one of my mega CV-on-spec mail bombardments.

Hehe.

Got the job as well!

Well done, is it part time or full time?
Reply 12
thanks! it's part-time. weekend work.
Reply 13
question for evolvedfrom, did you mail your cv to hmv or did you go and give it in person. By the way which hmv was it, thanks
Reply 14
Golden
question for evolvedfrom, did you mail your cv to hmv or did you go and give it in person. By the way which hmv was it, thanks

There is an application form online (or there should be), managers dont like cvs and I know the ones up north wont accept them.
frost105
There is an application form online (or there should be), managers dont like cvs and I know the ones up north wont accept them.

All stores in the Southern region still take them, there is a sign in my local store asking to bring a CV in or get an application form. I left in March and I really doubt they would have changed that policy, we only used to not take them if we had no vacancies.
Reply 16
mc_hamster
All stores in the Southern region still take them, there is a sign in my local store asking to bring a CV in or get an application form. I left in March and I really doubt they would have changed that policy, we only used to not take them if we had no vacancies.

Maybe it depends on the region. If someone tied to hand in a cv we had to refuse to take it and give them an application form. Same policy in all the stores I worked in.
Reply 17
frost105

They seemed pretty pleased to get mine. I mailed mine in.

Latest